Register now to get rid of these ads!

RPU body assembly-new progress pics(lots)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Jun 15, 2008.

1. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well I really am thrilled with the progress me & my dad made this weekend on my Brookville rpu body-we got a ton done. We got the doors aligned nicely on their hinges, so the door gap at the cowl is really nice & even. Working back we got the finish fit work done on the rear body panel & rear quarter panels, and started fitting in to the new channeled subrails we built.

I had to build brackets to attach to rear body section to the subrails. I really wanted this bracket to allow adjustment though, to allow the rear body to fit up to the rear edge of the doors and be ajustable to make it fit up well.

I made one that bolts up to the channeled subrail, and mounted with button head bolts to the lower door jam, and the underside of the rear quarter as well. The bracket allows a ton of adjustment in every possible direction, and let us fit the rear panels to the doors really nice! I also fit up and welded the stock rear subrail crossmember in between the subrails, and fit it to the rear panel in its new channeled position. Here's some pics of all that:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the body is pretty much together, and actually looks like a body instead of a pile of parts. I still have some small support brackets to make, but the body is super sturdy. I will next weld in the crossmember in the front section of the body once I measure to see where the tranny tailshaft sits, and fab some triangular gussets to go from the subrail crossmembers to the lower edge of the subrail. Heres a couple pics of the channel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the mandatory complete mock-up view-I am so excited to see it come together! Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking!
    Dan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. That is one BITCHIN lil RPU!!!! What engine will it have?

3. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks a ton Chris! Engine is an Olds 455. Yeah, not the most traditional engine ever, but with it dressed nice, and all the torque, I won't care:p
    [​IMG]

4. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

great improvement over the cut down sedan body, even though that looked great itself! this cab just gives it a much smoother look. will this thing's build plan change any more?!?!? hahaha

5. Moondog13

Moondog13

Hey Dodgerodder, what type/size wheels are those? Lookin' good!

6. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks man. They are 40 ford steelies. The fronts are 16x4 on 4.50/16's.

The rears are 16x4.5, on 7.50/16's

7. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

You know, originally I really wanted a 28/29 rpu body. But, it wouldn't have worked out on this frame as that body is shorter, and the bed rails would have ended up at the top of the body.

So I went with the 30/31, since it is taller, and I honestly am glad that I did. I do think that this body makes a way nicer car out of it then the old body I had.

My only change of plan on this now will be to actually finally finish it, instead of just work on it
    :eek:

8. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

that is one nice looking rpu.keep up the great work

9. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

Wow, that looks fantastic. All the fasteners look perfect, like it came that way originally. Very nice details.

10. striper

striper

Good plan. We're watching

Pete

11. hemifarris

hemifarris

12. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

"My only change of plan on this now will be to actually finally finish it, instead of just work on it"
    Quite a statement, s
    how off! ;)
    It's lookin' really good. Just one more major tear-down before final assembly? Then all the fiddley-bits (as a guy around my neck of the woods says).
    I'm still going panel by panel but your build has helped me a lot. And just that one measurement you gave me on the box was a big deal. Thanks again. I have actually had the box together (held by clamps and v-grips) so slow progress is better than none.
    You will have to start on another build right away so we can keep seeing your mad fab skills!

Joe

13. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks a ton guys, I appreciate the feedback.
    I need to finish the subframe, and move on to the driveshaft tunnel and tranny hump. I really need to have the body fab work finished soon, hopefully another 2-3 weeks at most. Yeah, I've said it before, but dammit I mean it this time, I NEED to get this this done for the Turkey Run this Thanksgiving, I gotta keep on it though

My brother let me drive his T last night and my goal is to switch from building to driving:eek:, that was a great inspiration. My dad & brothers car are done, I need to join the club haha.

Gizmo, any forward progress is progress, I'm glad that measurement helped. I have gotten help here a million times the same way for sure

14. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

Man, I love this project! I have been following it since day 1 and I am as excited to see it driving as you are!

15. Mopar34

Mopar34

Dan, RPU is really looking great. Great choice of engine (love those multi carbed Olds). With all of that power in that little car, you might want to think about really big brakes or wheelie bars.:eek::D:D

Maybe you and your crew should buy several RPU's and assemble them to sell.:D:D

16. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

coming along awesome thanks for the pictures ,

17. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Hell ya DWAG!!!! that shit is NICE!!! that thing is going to one of the coolest RPUs around,,,, What are we thinking color wise? cause it ain't finished till its painted and upholstered,, :D

keep at it!!! all the hard work will pay off in the end,,,

evel

18. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Man I am blessed to have that shop. I definitely do not build cars for a living, because at the rate it takes me to finish ONE, I would be one broke mofo :D

I split the shop with my brother and dad. I am fortunate to have them, and having them love cars like I do. So split up, it is very do-able. It is not huge, but plenty big enough for us all to have our space for our projects. I am honestly very lucky to have this

Man if you have been following it for this long, you must be sick of progress reports...............If I have learned one valuble lesson, it's to build it like you want it the first time. If you gotta wait a little bit to get the things you want, it's ok. It'll be way cheaper in the end. Thanks for the support, I am really excited to drive it too!!

Thanks man! I love the tri power olds too, I am really excited to drive this thing. When me & my brother were in high school, he had this same tri power setup on his 65' olds, all 5500lbs of it-it hauled @ss!

I was into cal-look bugs in high school, and my driver was a 1915 dual carb 65 cal look. I'd get him off the line a little, but not for long. About a 10' hole shot at best:eek:

One thing I can promise that I will not do is buy these bodies in pieces to assemble for extra $$$.........me & my dad joke about it, and decide that we could do it if we want to earn about .09 an hour:D

Thanks dude! I am starting to get really excited finally. Sometimes I feel like I am beating my head against a wall for so long, with no end in sight. But when I start to see a little progress, and see it come together, I start to sense "victory" and that everything will be worth it at the end. Quite a journey a car project takes us on.......

Paint color is one that is really bugging me, I change my mind daily it seems, but I want it to be right. I am leaning towards a gloss black frame. All of my suspension is chrome-front axle, hairpins, rear 4-bar, panhard, etc. Front & rear nerfs will be chromed, windshield stuff chrome too. Tires/wheels are as you see, except probably with caps.

I am thinking on the body, motor, & rear end in a nice gold, with black frame, wheels, top, & interior-kind of business looking. But I'm not 100%. Any input it totally welcome-I don't want to blow it with wrong color choices:confused:
    Dan

19. Thanks for the update. This just keeps getting better and better. The body looks great and definitely improves the overall cohesiveness of the build.

20. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Boy do I know how it feels to beat your head against the wall...my car is 98% done and i'm still losing my mind,,,I don't know how I survived this long....but ya i'm close it hurts..

Your paint sounds good but why not paint the frame the same color as the body?

Me personally I don't like different color frames thats just me....it seems more complete with the chassis painted the same.... if it were mine I would do Black with Black and white interior , White fire wall, White walls and the gold motor with some small gold details..
    but thats just me... :D whatever you do the quality of your build will be what shines the most and it will RULE....hopefully you can bring it to Cali some day and we can tear up Hollywood :D

21. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

For some reason I see The Black Widow when I see your car..
    [​IMG]

22. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

"Man if you have been following it for this long, you must be sick of progress reports"
    Ah.. NO! Sheesh! ;)
    Keep them coming or else..... or else... something. I don't know.. just keep them coming Dan.
    As for paint: I will NEVER suggest a paint color for anyone else.
    I painted cars for a living (a lifetime ago) and never liked to get involved with choosing the color. Your car. Your choice.
    That way if you don't like it you only have YOU to blame and not me. ;)
    Seriously though, if you want to spend some time without spending a lot of money... get paint chips of colors you think you like and scan them into a computer. Use a photosh*p type program and do her up!
    A whole lot cheaper.

23. BBuford

BBuford

One thing I can promise that I will not do is buy these bodies in pieces to assemble for extra $$$.........me & my dad joke about it, and decide that we could do it if we want to earn about .09 an hour:D

Nine an hour, that aint too bad at the hogshooter rod shop I am gettin .0785, Damn near covers the taxes:eek:

24. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

No problem man. Thanks btw, I am now really glad I went this route for sure

It really does feel like a severe head beating sometimes, I swear... Are your coupes issues pretty much behind you yet? I hope you are getting to finally drive & enjoy it now.

Man, I seriously heart the Black Widow. Some mag recently did a feature on that, and I was just drooling, the car just has it. The black thing is so tempting, I think a white firewall/top & interior would look great...I wonder if I could pull that look off without whitewalls though....

Man I would LOVE to tear up Cali with your coupe-don't tempt me..... Me & my dad were talking about how badly we'd like to somehow take the cars to california some day, that would be a dream. Maybe could hook up with Paris Hilton too, that'd be hot
    Yeah, at least I'd only have myself to blame if I chose magenta...............

I do have to learn to crudely photoshop colors, it would help a ton to get an idea. I even thought at some point having a couple of renderings done to help out, but I can't afford Chip Foose though........

Yeah, we're bring top dollar. Our shop is managed by Kathy Lee Gifford

25. man that has to bee the cleanest chanel i've ever seen. no cutting the doors no funky stuff and more adjustable that stock. killer

26. 73RR

73RR

Beautiful rpu !! Your quality of work appears outstanding. ....now when would you like to start on one of my projects....:rolleyes:
    Keep the pics coming. BTW, the big Olds looks great.

27. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Ya most of the problems are solved,,just trying to get the motor running nice..its still
    has little things that need to be adjusted....sorta like Chinese water toucher..but i'll
    have it driving soon...every night I have a dream of me driving some place...its crazy...

Ya you would need white walls to pull that off..

you and your Pops should come out... will get the "Maps of the Stars" map and do Donuts
    on there front lawn... Paris is a slut,,, and lindsay is a lezbo... hahahhaah I LOVE L.A.
    ya know there is a show every weekend in Cali..... :D

i'm off to the shop for more headbanging!!

evel