Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tried the "make a wide whitewall " with the grinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55chieftain, Jun 10, 2008.

1. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I'll probably run these until I can get some 2657015 www from DB tires. This is a 265/75r15 Goodyear wrangler rts. 30.6 tall 10.5 section width. The whitewall turned out to be 2" wide. The only other bad part was the thin black parting line , but that can be covered up.

What other tires have any of you guys tried? I had some firestones I did, but the whitewall wasn't concentric with the tire.

Attached Files:

• www.jpg
      www.jpg
      File size:
      113.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

Coker,,they make some pretty damn good tires , and they look damn good.

3. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

That shit didn't work out for me but then my shrink says I shouldn't run a hand grinder. :<( Normal Norman

4. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

I've done it with raised white letter tires (Ultra something000 from Pepboys) and got better results than I did with cheap Fisk thin white walls. The fisk tires turned brown real bad and don't really whiten with bleach white. not bad just to run around with a questionable alignment.... not going to be show quality. If they don't wear all funky I'll be buying some Cokers.

5. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I dont care for bfg radial ta tires- too damn hard , thats all in that size from Coker(2657015) in the www.

I used a 24 grit on the grinder than 120 grit on a palm sander to clean them up.

6. brewsir

brewsir

Hell ya...looks great from here!

7. duste01

duste01

I tried fake walls, they work for me and I dont have run a grinder all day. I'm poor anyway so they are all me.

8. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

That looks kinda sketchy man. Unless the tread is killer and you bought them, keep looking. That vulcanization line in there is going to get on your nerves real quick, and its kinda pie edged. I used General XP2000GTs, they worked friggin rad. Firestone FR440 as well. But seriously these things are made in different plants all the time, so one might work, the next wont. The Generals have 2 different sidewall tread designs, one was nice, the other had the line in em like yours do.

9. Squablow

Squablow

I just did a set of Kelly Explorers for my '73 Mercedes. Obviously I don't want the really wide whitewall on that car, so I just went from the line out, and not in toward the bead. I wanted them to look like a Vogue. They turned out decent, although two have a slightly wider white than the other two so they'll both go on one side. They're not perfectly round either but more than passable for the car they're going to be used on.

I used a 120 grit flap disk instead of a regular flat grinding disk. Much more control that way. My flap disk had some wear on it already so it doesn't take the rubber off quite as fast and it's easier to control. The regular flat grinding disks make it so easy to scar the side of the tire, you have to be so careful.

Once I have them mounted on the rims I'll polish them up a bit more with a 150 grit DA pad.

I have Cokers on my '52 Buick and they look great, but for this particular car I just couldn't justify spending $800 on a set of Vogues just for the look.

10. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

One word: Rustoleum. Holds up pretty well, cheap, and it doesn't weaken the sidewall.

11. I bought these already ground for my 62.
    4 tires for the price of one Coker whitewall.
    Nothing wrong with the Cokers, as I have a set on my 60.
    These were a quick set for a driver and look pretty good to boot.

Attached Files:

12. I yer gonna go that route Krylon Fusion white or the white Sno Seal is better.
    Do a search on Krylon Fusion.
    Lots of long posts about it.

13. King Richard

King Richard
    from Dover, PA

I saw that tech post along time ago and thought NOBODY IS THAT DUMB. I guess I was wrong.:rolleyes:

14. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

mine are pathfinder trail a/p made by goodyear

15. Mine were ground with a machine and are perfectly even, smooth and uniform.
    Lets see..........$600 +shipping for a set of 1" or 1 7/8" Cokers or $150 for a full set of 1 1/2" shaved whitewalls to the door.
    It's a 62 and I didn't want white all the way to the rim.
    10,000 miles on them and 75&#37; tread left.
    That leaves me $450+ left over for parts and my tires will last a lot longer.
    Who's the DUMB one in this equation.
    Me with $150 spent or the guy that spends $1200+, for the same amount of miles, on 2 sets of Cokers.

The pic below is right after I had them mounted before I scrubbed the blue stuff off, just like new raised white letter tires have on them.

Attached Files:

16. Something makes my stomach churn when theres talk of grinding on sidewalls.

17. King Richard

King Richard
    from Dover, PA

If you are grinding on the structural part of the tire, just to save money and get a certain look, I would say you and anyone else who does this are the DUMB ones. And there is alot of people that agree with me. :p BTW, you might want to take that money you saved and stick it away for when you have a blow out and hurt someone. Lawyers are expensive.

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

if you dont know how to control a car after a blow out you shouldnt be driving..i was taught how to drive when I learned..blow outs are part of emergency proceedures..werent you taught.. ?
    Ive had a few blow outs in my miles of driving..and no one got hurt..not even the car. and the tires in question were new..with defects that blew out..
    you got to understand when you do this to a RWL tire your only taking off the surface black rubber..It doesnt hurt the integrity of the tire unless you gouge it or go too far.

oh i forgot..the sky is falling ..the sky is falling..

19. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I'm only taking off the 1/32" that covers the whitwall, geez i'm not grinding into the plies of the tire.

I've got my fire suit on so flame away if need be.

20. racer32

racer32

When I worked at a Pontiac dealership years ago there was a guy who would bring in a grinding machine and make wide whitewalls out of thin ones. His setup was cool-he jacked up the car, aligned the machine with the tire, and it spun around and ground the sidewall.

Anyone know of a place that has a machine that grinds sidewalls in the D/FW area? I got a new set of RWL Goodyear Wrangler radials that ought to make a 3" WW, but I'm too chicken to grind on them myself.

Here's the video link for the DIY guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkcm3rh60p0

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

22. Cooper Cobra raised letter tires work great. I got 3" whites out of mine.

23. You don't weaken the tire taking the then black rubber "mask" off that covers the white band on the sidewall... Those who have never done it, and say its dangerous, you are ignorant of how they put whitewalls/rwl on tires.

Don't do Michelins, the white is VERY thin, and you'll probably go right through it.

Dunlop Rovers have a nice wide white strip.

24. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

If ya need your side walls ground off, just loan them to some of the toothless yahoos around here. They will have the sides ground off by the curb in just a couple weeks.

25. 38P6

38P6

Can you post the info on who you bought yor tires from? I would buy those in a minute for that price.

26. hoop

hoop

Anybody in or near Mass. doing this.

27. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Removing any part of a tire is fucking stupid! Blowouts are just a part of driving and controlling a car after one is part of being taught to drive?
    What planet are some of you from? At highway speeds a blowout on a steering tyre is uncontrollable no matter who you are. Trust me, for a long time I was an instructor in high speed vehicle handling, defensive and offensive driving.

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

whatever.!.many many miles on Big rigs and cars..pleny of tire mis haps..no one died..I dint flip..no big deal..and yes ..it is part of learning to drive..I was taught what to and what not to do when a tire blows..obviously my training worked..

if you have a blow out and panic or slam on the brakes or drive with your knee..yer gonna have issues..

and if controlling a car after a blowout was on-controlable..I'd be dead and alot of other people would be too..Ive even had tire blowouts on a motorcycle and yes..you guess it..theres training for that issue too..

29. RacerRick

RacerRick

How you you think whitewall tires are made? All he is doing is uncovering more of the whitewall. The structural integrity of the tire is unaffected.

Blowouts suck. I have had them at high speed on steering tires and it was real interesting trying to keep the car on the road.

30. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I would probably be pretty easy to build a jig that holds the grinder and attaches to the wheel to get a nice smooth edge, something like a circle cutter you attach to a cutting torch?