Register now to get rid of these ads!

ROCKSTAR TECH: Simple steering mod for stock steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, May 26, 2008.

1. Disclaimer: While I would like to take credit for this and everyone think I'm smart, I cant. Steve the owner of Buffalo Ent. turned me onto it.

Anyway, while alot of folks upgrade to a M-2 suspension and different steering some don't. If you decide to rebuild your front suspension it's good idea to to rebuild idler arm and drag link at the same time,along with replacing the balls on the pitman arm and idler arm too. The balls are $45 for the pair and the drag link kit will set you back about $30 And the drag linkg seals another $18. NO THANKS.

So here's the mod. Remove the balls from both the idler and pitman arm, ream them with a 7 degree reamer. Get two Ford tie rod ends, Speedway has them for $9.95 ea. and a buck and a half for the jamb nuts. Make sure you get a left and a right hand thread tie rod.
    Next get a piece of thick wall tubing. Mine was 13/16 OD. Cut to 6-3/4"
    Tap one side for left hand threads and the other for right (11/16 fine). And that's it.

It would not be cost effective if you had to buy the reamer and taps for this job but just about any decent machine shop could do it for you.

Attached Files:

2. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

this is a great idea, thanks!

3. Tony

Tony

VERY slick!
    Seem's most thing's i've seen that concern Buffalo are good idea's.
    He may have turned you on to it, but thanks for passing at along to us just the same.

Tony

4. Thanks! RwT tech is always accepted!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

BTTT!! Great real world tech!

6. Derwood

Derwood

Tugmaster, thanks for the info. Looks like the way to go.