Register now to get rid of these ads!

chopped (& butchered) B piller help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thommyknocker, Feb 18, 2008.

1. I've been fixing the shop on my '50 chevy sedan, and I'm down to the last B piller. I think I can fix it but I've got a quick questions.

Here is where I'm at so far, yup, the piller was chunked, but I can fix that.
    [​IMG]

See what's left at the top?
    I've made a patch panel to fill that up, and create the rest of the rear quarter window.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to weld it to the b piller, at the door opening, and then across it, and then up the window suround.
    Here's the question, how would be the best way to attach my patch to the actual roof. There is a seam between the window suround and the drip rail, that I'm kind of at a loss how to match.
    I'm thinking of welding it on from inside which would leave the edge of the patch showing as the seam.
    Or maby I'm trying to hard to copy something that will never be noticed:confused:
    Thanks
    Thom

Attached Files:

2. Kustm52

Kustm52

You're talking about the top edge of the patch fitting up against the drip rail, right? If it was mine I'd end the patch far enough from the original seam to weld it in, rather that have it go all the way to the drip rail. If for some reason it has to go that far, I'd weld it from the back if possible and put some seam sealer on the outside.

Brian

3. crapshoot

crapshoot

in stead of over lapping it . it looks like you did good on your patch, so why not cut out the metal behind it and butt weld it in so its flush.

4. Yup, the top edge, under the drip rail.
    Unfortunately I'm missing a chunk there, thus the larger patch.

Well, thank you very much :eek:

I started off with 3 chunks, and most of the spot welds were broken holding the inside 1/2 to the outside, so to get some structure I did this.
    [​IMG]

I put a piece of 1/2" square tube in there to build off of, and then started placing pieces of the outside on top of that.

I'm thinking that Brian's idea of welding it from the inside (where I can get to) and then seam sealer is going to be the best, thanks for the info.

Thanks for your help guys:D

Attached Files:

5. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I went ahead and welded in the bottom drip rail from the door back there's three pieces to blend together and got rid of the seam`s
    looks cleaner to me . and it took care of that problem !

[​IMG]

6. Thanks Guys, I did a combo platter, butt welded most of it, and I'm planning on using seam sealer stuff to smooth the top under the drip rail off.

[​IMG]
    Got the inside done also.
    [​IMG]

The door window frame should be fun :rolleyes:
    At least I have a chunk of what's missing. I should be able to patch that back together.
    [​IMG]

And that concludes today's lesson:
    How NOT to chop! AKA measure 15 times and only cut once!

LOL

Attached Files:

7. Kustm52

Kustm52

Looks good. If some filler pieces would help let me know.. I've got several parts cars (4-drs) in rough shape.

Brian