Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT ? Rare Scooter....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jul 30, 2004.

1. My pal's brother won this Salsbury in a dog food jingle contest in 1947. It has been in the family ever since. It just underwent a complete restoration.

Might be somebody here who enjoys this... [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

That looks like a real nice piece with a great one family history. Looks like it could be AACA show quality, if someone is into the trophy winning thing.

3. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

yours looks better then the one that sold for over 8 grand. nice scooter

4. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

I'd enjoy it more if you gave it to me. [​IMG]

5. colorado51

colorado51

I like the art deco / streamliner look to it.

Cool!

6. TV

TV

If I had my choise between a sals and a P-7 Powell, although I love them both, I'd have to take the Powell. But both are to rich for me without getting rid of some hotrods--TV PS I don't think I'm going to do that. [​IMG]

7. antichrysler

antichrysler

Thanks for the post. That's a happy looking scooter. It's so art deco that it has kind of a cartoon quality.

8. I don't know what's cooler, the deco lines on that scooter, or the fact he won it in a dog food jingle contest. [​IMG]

9. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

Not trying to hijack this post, but since scooter lovers are reading it i would like to ask a question. I have a 62 or 63 Harley Davidson Scooter. Is there any web sites for it? It is two cycle and i figure they rebagded some one else's machine. Any help would be appreciated.

10. [ QUOTE ]
    Not trying to hijack this post, but since scooter lovers are reading it i would like to ask a question. I have a 62 or 63 Harley Davidson Scooter. Is there any web sites for it? It is two cycle and i figure they rebagded some one else's machine. Any help would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to Google and search for:

Harley Topper

You'll get a few hits.

11. slammed

slammed

OT? I beg to differ. This little scooter is very neat, and a bit of history too. WAY better than done to death anti post. Couple more pic's in the sun? That orange has got to glow outside!

12. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to Google and search for:

Harley Topper

You'll get a few hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. i could not remember what it was called and teh part i need is the name badge.

13. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

What type engine powers that scooter? hows it run? Thats really cool.

14. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

15. mercury Bill....Salsbury invented the torque-multiplying clutch system used on snowmobiles, etc. The scooter was built to demonstrate and promote that product. It has an air-cooled single-cylinder engine (Salsbury's own) with a generator and pressure oiling. I can find out more info in the morning. I'll be having coffee with the owner.

16. whizzerick

whizzerick

A little Whizzer Motorbike trivia:
    - Salsbury manufactured Whizzer's automatic clutch.
    The first ones where stamped 'Salsbury Corporation', then 'Whizzer automatic'.
    [​IMG]

17. That is one neat scooter.......!!

18. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a 62 or 63 Harley Davidson Scooter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a couple Toppers in parts - I think I've got enough for one. Kinda hard to find parts for.

[​IMG]

19. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

A rare scoot for sure. I rode a friends back in the 1960's.

He had a Mustang scooter too. A Stallion model as I recall. Received my first 4 tickets on his Mustang scooter in 1968

20. TINGLER

TINGLER

Wow.

I don't know too much about scooters, but I really do enjoy looking at that one.
    Got any more pics of it?
    If so, I would sure like to see them.

Cool scooter for sure! Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

21. [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] My Dad has a Harley Topper. He needs some parts for it. He hasn't had much luck finding anything. He's in Turlock CA., maybe you guys could hook up. He also has a Silver Pigeon, some Vespas, maybe a Cushman or two. I don't think any of his are runners. Dean

22. I picked up some additional info on the Salsbury scooter. The contest was sponsored by Armour and Company's Dash dog food division.

Salsbury was a part of Northrup Aviation (remember the flying wing ?)

The engine was 20 cu. in. and was rated at 6 hp.

The chassis was stamped steel construction...no tubing in this one, folks !

23. salsbury

salsbury
    from Ohio

Hi:
    Finally got through to you. What is your friend's brother's name? We have been fortunate to have located two of the winners of the salsbury scooters in the 1947-1948 Dash dog food contest. They are now both members of the SRS. The scooter in your photo does not look like either of theirs. If their names are either Todd or Bobby they are the SRS members. If their names are not Todd or Bobby please let me know how to contact them. We want to have them in the Salsbury club. We also have the original Dash dog food "Name this Puppy" ad in our archive. The ad states there will be 10 scooters given away. A newspaper article which was written about one of the winners stated that Armour had 8 first place winners and probably only gave away 8 scooters. We are interested in learning all we can about this contest and all other historic details about the Salsbury.

<>< J.

24. salsbury

salsbury
    from Ohio

Hi:
    Finally got through to you. What is your friend's brother's name? We have been fortunate to have located two of the winners of the salsbury scooters in the 1947-1948 Dash dog food contest. They are now both members of the SRS. The scooter in your photo does not look like either of theirs. If their names are either Todd or Bobby they are the SRS members. If their names are not Todd or Bobby please let me know how to contact them. We want to have them in the Salsbury club. We also have the original Dash dog food "Name this Puppy" ad in our archive. The ad states there will be 10 Salsbury scooters given away. A newspaper article which was written about one of the winners stated that Armour had 8 first place winners and probably only gave away 8 scooters. We are interested in learning all we can about this contest and all other historic details about the Salsbury.

<>< SRS.

25. rixrex

rixrex

Ahhh the memories...that was about Jr. High for me, we called those Salsbury "land slugs" the Hoodlums rode around on Mustangs, the rest of us on Salsburys,Cushmans and home made stuff..then the new kid from California showed up on a Honda 305 scrambler, you know the rest of the story....any pictures of Mustangs?

26. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Tex Smith rode a Salsbury.

27. strangely similer to what I'm feeling right now

28. jonny o

jonny o

Man, could you imagine cruising something that cool through the pits of a race?

29. eberhama

eberhama

Whats with the rash of newbs digging up these old-assed posts lately? Is the hamb coming up at the top of google searches now or ???