Register now to get rid of these ads!

Floating Hubcaps.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elvisaurusrex, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

2. brewsir

brewsir

Old trick...drill and tap the spindles and bolt the hubcaps on to the spindle after you make sure nothing hits (valve stem,hubcap tabsweights) you should see peoples reaction.....lotta hey your wheel isn't spinning...your wheels broke!!!!!!

3. synthsis

synthsis

Spinners, nope.

Stillers.
    [​IMG]

haha.

4. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

Hahahah, brilliant.
    That actually reminds me of when I saw this Japanese man in a full suit with sunglasses.. He comes off this bus, and unknown to me is on a skateboard. All I see is this crazy Jap sliding across the sidewalk with his arms crossed behind his back, staring at me..

5. Rockmonky

Rockmonky
    from Windsor Co

I always dug these fixed center caps.

Attached Files:

6. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

i have them on my car..... some of the reactions you get are awesome..... the best one was pulling into a gas station and some biker guy (read, I paid way too much for a harley so I could look cool) comes up to me and says " Hey man, I think your spinners are broke!"

7. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

The hubcabs are bitchin.
    I would however have spent a bit more time adjusting the valves...that thing has a wicked lifter "tick".

Oh well...His Cam.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

One of the radiator shops in town made some flat ones for their delivery truck. They put their name and phone # on the flat cap. It was such an odd sight that you automatically stared at it. I thought it was a great advertising ploy. I paid no attention to the ad on the door but the non-rotating hub cap grabbed my attention.

9. atomickustom

atomickustom

The first time I saw one was on a moon disc on the front of a Merc kustom, and the wheelcover was scalloped and I swear for about 2 seconds my brain said "that front wheel isn't turning" and it really looked to me like it wasn't. Then the rest of my brain said "the tire is rotating, the hubcap is mounted to the front spindle" and it looked right again. I only saw it once, at night, 13 years ago, but an older guy around here had a '49-52 Pontiac mild custom and he'd done that so that the chief head on the front hubcaps always faced up. Nice touch, but I'd be afraid it woud get bent by a stone and start tearing up the wheel and/or hubcap.

10. old beet

old beet

I saw it for the first time in Reno at HAN about 16 years ago. There were four guys in a 53 Merc tail-dragger, nice car scallop paint, cruzin downtown all week. Rode nose high but had hydralics in the front. When they would come to a red lite they would drop the nose and a guy with an outside microphone speaker would make the sound of squealing tires. The peds would dive out of the way, but they were only goin about 5 MPH. If you were watchin and drunk it was great entertainment!!!!!!!!..........OLDBEET

11. That video was messing with my head, looked like THE CAR was floating. Better than spinnaz!

12. Gee

Gee
    from Australia

i had some on my car for about 4years. it was cheap entertainment.
    ...hilarious driving alongside someone waiting for them to notice in the corner of their eye and full on freak out:)
    nearly caused accidents every time i drove it.... which is always fun

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And it's a recurring idea from way back...somewhere in my vast heap'opaper, I have instructions on making immovable hubcaps for advertising in a Poular Mechanics book from the twenties.
    Was the Idea ever used by a coachbuilder or such? I'm thinking the sort of people building sper-swoopy French cars in the thirties...

14. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

The overall effect of those caps while the car is moving is badass!

15. Motorbreath

Motorbreath

And here the other day I thought about this idea and figured i was on to something new....... these guys stole my idea before i was even born, figures......:rolleyes:

16. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Is there any way of doing the rear? Or this this only for skirted rides?