Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935 Miller / Ford IndyCars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superleggera, Jan 1, 2008.

1. superleggera

superleggera

I've had a fascination with the Ford flathead V-8 powered 1935 Miller / Ford IndyCars for years due to Henry's involved with Harry Miller (and the Tucker factor). The potential was so great -- but unfortunately they were untested before debut and the result was a bit of a debacle. Just curious if anyone out on the HAMB has additional pictures (chassis pics, etc), additional history (beyond what is Google'd), stories, tidbits or been involved with the racing of these (and their later iterations ala Novi, etc) -- or been involved in the restorations that have occured. I *searched* the forum, but there wasn't much there. Thanks!

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Have you been here? http://www.trackforum.com/ (nostalgia forum) Also search the HAMB members for- mac miller- and link to his page.

3. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Buy, borrow, or beg a copy of Mark Dees' Miller Dynasty. It's the most authoritative and complete source of what you're looking for.

4. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

Here are a few scans from "The Marvelous Mechanical Designs of Harry A. Miller" (great book!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also a couple pics I had on my computer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy :)

5. superleggera

superleggera

Unfortunately the Mark Dees bible is a bit dated now and is no longer with us. (I already have the Miller Dynasty -- both versions)

Given the number of flathead enthusiasts, vintage racers, etc on the HAMB -- I'm hoping to find fresh info and pics. I am amazed at the depth and backgrounds of the members here!

6. the shadow

the shadow

7. you should go to the museum at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway

8. superleggera

superleggera

I was there in Oct '06 -- mainly to view the display of Miller's for fun, but focus was to document the Merc W196 and the Ferrari 250LM / LeMans winner for work. (They opened them up for myself to access and inspect which is a rare occurance from what I understand now) Unfortunately I didn't get to spend time to go through the Miller/Ford librar stuff -- currator said it was all pretty dated anyways. Great place to see though!

9. woodys garage

woodys garage

I am not sure if this is the Miller car you are referring to, but I do know that Speedway Bill owns it and it was run at Indy and at the time I don't think this and others like it fared to well. Hope this picture helps, Woody

Attached Files:

10. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa