Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gettin' Rid of the "High Hat"...Chopping the '51 Plymouth!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Finally going to chop the top on my Plymouth. This post will be updated as we go along. We are starting on the 5th of January. The work and expertise will be done by the "Fatman" himself...Brent of Fatman Fabrication. Myself, my buddy Delton (hotdamn) and a few others will assist and learn from Brent. I am extremely stoked and can't wait to start.
    We will be modeling it from a post that was started by TheFrenZ called "The Broman FrenZ Plymouth". You can check it out here; http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66572&highlight=bloodyknuckles

We are shooting for a look similar to this;
    [​IMG]

We have figured the chop to be about 4 1/2"s. We aren't going hardtop, we will be leaning the B-pillars.
    I can't stress to you my excitement. I have been wanting to do this for a long time now. It's long past due!

Thanks again to all who have photochopped my car and for TheFrenZ for hitting it dead on!!

I will keep you posted throughout the next few weeks.

Thanks for reading!

BloodyKnuckles

2. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I can't wait to see it chopped.

3. lavenderblue50

lavenderblue50

ron, good luck on the chop. what you are shooting for looks great. can't wait to see the updates. now, get to work:D.

4. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool! Better have it done for the spring Auto Fair, or you will disappoint the many fans who come by to see your intake and listen to your pipes! vic

5. very cool cant wait for future pics

6. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

Here's one I'm working on right now (old pic--much farther along than this shows)--more progress to come once my arm heals from surgery. Love seeing other old Mopars going under the knife
    [​IMG]

7. Did we meet or talk at one time?!!
    We have the same thought process. I was planning on '54 chevy headlight rings with peaks down the sides of the fenders and hoods over the lights, very similar to yours.
    Looks nice.

BloodyKnuckles

8. Moparhead

Moparhead

Great,I'm really going to watch this one.My 50 Coronet is going under the knife soon.I bought the back-half of the roof from a 46 Ford coupe.It will get rid of the bump above the rear window,and give me a smaller rear window.
    Fuzz

9. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

that's going to look pretty good when done man...lots of killer custom potential from an otherwise ugly car.

10. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

i have been a huge fan of your plymouth after seeing it last year when i had my plymouth and was looking for ideas. i think a chop will be right on line with the beauty youve managed to bring to that engine compartment. i for one cant wait to see the result. good luck and PLEASE post pics! :)

11. Thanks for the nice words. I have run it without the hood on it since I did all the engine work because the engine was the main focal point of the car. I have always liked the way the car looks with the hood on so the chop will offer alot more.
    My wife and I gutted the interior new years eve and found some bare wiring that may have been damaged by the mice that called the headliner home.

Will keep you posted.

BloodyKnuckles

12. Very Cool! Take lots of pics. Can't wait to see it done.
    Brett

13. I think pink wheels will suit you better than the turqouis!

Don't forget your before on here.

Good luck man - can't wait to see the photos on how its done. I think leaning the b pillars is the way to go.

Attached Files:

14. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Sweet Ron. Please keep us posted. That is hands done the biggest eyesore of these bodies. Can't wait to see it done.

15. I got a sore spot for Plymouths too, looking forward to seeing it. Wait - maybe it was a soft spot.

16. Professor Fate

Professor Fate
    from the bay

that is going to be purty!

17. Thanks again guys.

I'm counting down the days.

Here are the most updated pics, pre-chop of course.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not the most flattering pics but the hood hasn't been on it for at least a year and has been in my barn where birds and other creatures made one hell of a mess on it. Oh well, I shouldn't have taken it off to begin with.

BloodyKnuckles

18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

sweet, make sure you lean that back window down, that will help that flow alot... but dont over chop it. I know Brett and he seems to have a good grasp on style and not going to far..

look forward to seeing the progress

19. 46mopar

46mopar

Can't wait to see it. I always thought the roof line on the 50,51,52 mopars could use some help.

20. take lots of pics and post them all.....

can't wait to see the before and after

21. Here you go guys!
    We started about 9 this morning. It was myself, Delton (hotdamn), Cassanova and the master, Brent. We talked about what style I was looking to get and how low I wanted the roof. I really want a 50's, full blown kustom. I have a ton of little books and other magazines from the 50's and a heavy chop was not common back then. Brent understands what look I want and recommended we started with 3 1/2" and continue from there until we find the sweet spot. Well we found it at 3 1/2" in the front and 4 1/2" out back. What I like about the amount we took out is that it put the roof into proportion with the body.
    It is amazing how different it looks now.

Here are a few pics to get you started;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BloodyKnuckles

22. hotdamn

hotdamn

dude it has been over 3 hours since we called it a day!!!

where are the f*%^$n pics bro???

c'mon slow ass!!!

23. We must have posted at the same time.
    Damn man, you better relax.

BloodyKnuckles

24. hotdamn

hotdamn

oh okay make me out to be the asshole...

i guess i should bitch at my neighbors about getting faster internet for me to steal cause it took foooorever to down load those pics...

oh well, i am sure it is not the first time i looked like an ass today:)

25. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

lookin damn good! i cant wait to chop my car
    j.t.

26. Yeah you're an ass but I do appreciate all the hard work today.

Thanks holmes!

BloodyKnuckles

27. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

That did make a huge difference! looks good ..... xtra

28. I like it. Not too much - just enough.

29. Looks great man - really cool - that car really need that DADDY SAC. Now it needs a fucking V8

Hotdamn....sup Deltone!