Register now to get rid of these ads!

35 5W Chop Progress Pictures From varodder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Sep 7, 2007.

1. The 35 Ford coupe in the following pictures is HAMBer varodder's car. I'm just posting the photo's for him. Here's his brief description of the process/progress so far:

"We still need to finish the door tops, fill the center (have a 57 Chev top skin for that), and clean up and fill the pie cuts in the back (also the inside trim pieces later). I'm also going to get the cowl vent working again."

Hopefully varodder and jackandeuces will chime in with more details.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. brewsir

brewsir

yea!!!! Someone who is cutting up something. I am so tired of all the people saying "leave it alone it is beautiful just the way it sits" chop it up and make it really cool! Should look even more chopped with some side frames on!

3. That looks great. Keep us posted

4. varodder

varodder

I've had the car ten years and needed to do something different with it besides just painting it again. It all started when it got hit by a foul ball at one of my son's high school baseball games. After stripping the paint off the rumble seat lid we started punching louvers (166 in the rumble lid and hood) and I had been thinking about chopping it for a long time so one thing led to another and here we are. I like the way we have the windshield laid back where it looks like it is going fast when it is parked:). Probably be in primer for a while but hope to end up with washington blue and some pin striping by Igor eventually.

5. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

I dont know why anyone would cut up a good car ,well it doesnot belong to me........................................................................................................HaHa

6. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Haha, I was just thinking that when I opened this.

Great lookin car with nice chop. If I could, I'd like to lend my own opinion a bit, don't fill the roof, or if you do at least put one of those Julianos "fake" tops on it. In my opinion, a filled roof just takes so much away from a car.

7. Buff

Buff

I didn't know there was anyone in newport news area. If you need help(FREE) let me know. I have some metalshaping experience and could help somewhat. I would at least like to stop by and see your car.

John

8. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

Amen brother they made enough stock ones ! nice chop guy`s !
    I hate restorers ! although there car`s come apart allot easer .ha...

9. Chad s

Chad s

Absolutely. At least I know now that Im not the only one getting a little annoyed by the above quote. Everytime someone posts their new find, so many people encourage the guy NOT to chop it up. Whats with discouraging guys from making a car into a hot rod or custom around here? Mild customs are for sissies.

10. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

There are a lot of hotrods in the Newport News, Hampton area..PM me..

11. Dirty2

Dirty2

Nice I like it .

12. 39delux

39delux

Nice proportions. It's gonna be perfect.

13. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

that garage rocks

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I second that motion about the garage. And don't you think for a minute that I am going to leave this post without telling you how good that '35 is looking. What are the plans for the paint?

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I like the traditional chop with the slanted windshield. Your angle pick is just right! Oh, and GOOD JOB on those quarter windows, they can kill a chop job.
    How well does the windshield fit now and does the windshield regulator still open the windshield OK since the angle has changed so much? How about sealing against water infiltration, still as good as stock?

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tough chop job! These years of coupes just have so many compound curves through the roof section... this is looking great! Thanks for post Druss! Now get back to workin' on that Vicky! :D

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah... do you by any chance have a direct side shot of the front pillars? I like how they were layed back a bit as well! This thing is going to look super nice!

Oh... and I hate him for having such a nice grille to start with!!!

18. AllSteel34

AllSteel34

Looks outstanding! You obviously know what you are doing. Please keep the pictures coming as progress moves along! :)

Chris

19. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

The windshied frame fits as good as stock with hinges regulator crank , and has been chromed. A pillows were laid back about 2 1/2 inches,,should look as if it is running 100 mph sitting still. We will be doing right door top after Varodder completes some body work,,I also cannot wait to see it from side at a distance.. (FULLER'S FRAME AND AXLE)

20. Louie S.

Louie S.

yea!!!! Someone who is cutting up something. I am so tired of all the people saying "leave it alone it is beautiful just the way it sits" chop it up and make it really cool! Should look even more chopped with some side frames on!

I couldn't agree more I say chop em all!:D :D :D Great job by the way and one hell of a cool garage!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

21. varodder

varodder

I plan to end up with Washington Blue, some traditional pin striping and steelies with wide whites (maybe full moon caps).

22. varodder

varodder

Here's a couple of pictures of it in primer.. We still have to finish the passenger door and get some glass cut. I'll drive it this way for a while to make sure the bodywork holds up.

Attached Files:

23. varodder

varodder

I kind of like the look with no fenders.....but they will more than likely go back on when I paint it.:D

Attached Files:

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more vote for fenders. 35/36 have awesome fender lines!

So what's your plans for the stance? How close is that grille shell to the ground??

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That car is looking badass.....please put the pants back on him.

26. varodder

varodder

The fenders will return. To answer the question on stance I think I need to raise it about one more inch in front. Believe it or not I have a 1 1/2" spacer above the spring already. When I first put that front end together in 1999 I couldn't get my foot all the way under the grille....that's when I put the spacer in. I discovered another problem when I removed the fenders...the four bar looks like it is binding on the driver's side:eek:...I think the front spring is not quite wide enough so it forces the batwings together and pinches the four bar slightly....looks like I'll have an opportunity to fix both problems.

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know exactly what that's like! At one point I had 2-1/4" dropped spindles on mine. It was slammed and looked GREAT... however.... now the grille shell is missing a ToOTH and looks like it needs BrACes. :rolleyes::eek::eek: It's so hard to leave the the shape of the grille stock at the bottom and get the car low. Hard to tuck tires without reshaping the bottom, which sucks because the bottom follows the lines of the fenders perfectly looking at it from the front.

28. varodder

varodder

Alas my front end woes continue. I discovered my 4 bar (Speedway) is way out of alignment. The batwings are pinched together and I suspect the spring (Posies) is too narrow. Just got off the phone with Speedway and I need to measure the axle perches to see what exactly I have going on here. I did all of this in 1999 and didn't know what exactly I was doing (still have that problem from time to time:confused:). I can at least testify that the welds on the 4 bar are great because it probably has 15 - 20K miles on it that way without breaking....scary!:eek:

29. Zumo

Zumo

Man that's nice. I liked to see it slammed all the way down with wide whites and black artilary rims. That just me though.

30. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

we need a good profile shot. Not sure how much I like it yet. :)

Oh, and one when the fenders go back on. :)