Register now to get rid of these ads!

'49 8ba HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retro61, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Retro61

Retro61

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I'm running a '49 8ba in my '36 pickup,with two Holley '94's on a Fenton intake. I'm goin' crazy getting these things set!! When i get it to where in sounds and runs really sweet, i can tell from the exhaust that it is way too rich, if i back down on the fuel, it runs like crap!:mad:
    On another note, all of a sudden, today when goin' to the Frog Follies in Indiana, i start smokin' out of the passenger side. It smells too rich, but yet looks like it could be oil smoke! The very tip of my header is getting black around the end of the cone.
    Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks-:cool:
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

What jets & powervalves are you running in them?

Common starting points are 49 jets & 4.5 power valves....

3. thesupersized

thesupersized

i have 48 jets in mine, dont remember what power valves, and my car still smokes when i get on it..also seems to be oil smoke...even though it never smoked with the 1 carb

4. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

what kinda linkage straight( good) or progressive (bad)....

5. flathead4d

flathead4d

Get rid of the Hollys and put some Stromberg's on it. One backfire and Holley power valves are usually shot. What cam do you have and what ignition system? If you are running the stock ignition with a vacuum advance that could be your problem.

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

48 jets are probably fine - check your powervalves - the stock ones are around 7.5 - if you're running duals, you need 3.5-4.5 for your PV

7. Flatman

Flatman

Not to hijack the thread, but where's a good place to get the older style power valves in 4.5 ? The rebuild kits only come with the stock one or that economiser valve that never gets used.

Flatman

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Check with the guys like Ken or Uncle Max over on Fordbarn. You can try your luck with Charlie Price as well.

I've been told, but never tried it, that the late-model PV can be turned down on a lathe to fit properly...

9. Retro61

Retro61

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I'm running 3.5 Powervalves, and i'm not sure about the Jets, they are what was in the carbs from the beginning. As far as Linkage, i'm running straight not Progressive.
    May have found out today about the smoking problem-went to the Frog Follies early, and as i was driving i just didn't sound right out of the passenger side exhaust, it wasn't missing but just didn't have that right melody from the Headers, and when i got there, i had oil on the passenger side door, and all over my rear Whitewall. I'm thinkin' ring problem!! It wasn't running off, it was kinda sprayed! No less still an aggrevating mess! Looks like i'm in for a teardown!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks guys!!
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

10. thesupersized

thesupersized

yeah im running straight linkage

11. Paul2748

Paul2748

Vintage Speed has the machined power valves that will fit right. Also has some better washers for sealing.

12. Retro61

Retro61

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I changed my Powervalves to 3.5(Vintage Speed parts) and added an Igniter in my Distributor. Thought about changing the jetting, but i don't know what to change them to(?). They are the stock Jets,i think. Got any suggestions?
    Thanks-

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Pull all the plugs and line them up in order so you know which cylinder each came from...what color/level of crud where?? Probably some will have black crud...is this dusty soot or oily?? Stop and think befor getting out the wrenches!

14. Retro61

Retro61

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Most all of the plugs are kinda sooty, except for the rear plug on the passenger side. It had just a tad bit of oil on it.Not much, but enough to wipe on your finger, and tell the difference. At first i was wondering if i had a bad ring!