Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead fuel pump rod hole

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zoo York, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

I searched but couldn't find anything. I'm putting on a offy 3/2 but I need to plug the rod hole.What do people usually do? I don't want oil shooting on my firewalll.. Thanks

2. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Buy a 7/16" Welch plug at NAPA and drive in in the hole.

3. MBL

MBL

The answer to this depends on if you are using a 59 type block or the later flathead. Best I can recall the early flathead needs no plug. This is how I run mine and so far so good. The later ones I think make good use of the plug. Either way, you could cover the fuel pump stand with a bock-off plate.
    Tim
    MBL

4. BRIZEY

BRIZEY

Drill out the pushrod sleeve, then tap the hole and "Locktite" a bolt in there.
    The hole HAS to be plugged on ALL blocks, otherwise oil will bypass the cam/crank and go straight to the lifter gallery and you`ll be running with little or no oil pressure, BLOCK IT...

5. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought it was the other way around. I don't have a plug or the rod in my 8BA (49-53) and it has plenty of oil pressure.

overspray

6. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

What's your secret to catching the chips when you drill the sleeve?:eek:

7. OLLIN

OLLIN

i bought a cool block off plate on ebay...

8. MBL

MBL

We need Bruce to weigh in on this...Yeah...I have plenty of oil pressure too.
    Tim
    MBL

9. MBL

MBL

10. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember reading that before. I finally found an old flathead mechanic around here and he said to just leave it out (8BA) and if it drops drastically to put a shortened one in. Mine is OK left out. My engine was rebuilt by an engine rebuilder/machine shop about 200 miles from here. They seem to have done a very good job (so far).

overspray

11. 55 f350

55 f350

i was told to plug mine by anolder than dirt rodder who i think might have been old enough to drive the first flatty . so i did . itan 8ba in my 53 effie . the fuel pump pushrod was bent neccessitating an electric pump { it screwed up the pump too and they just cost to much } so i cut off a peice of the rod threaded the end put a nut on it welded it and walla instant plug . im a tight a-- so ill try and make it before i buy .

12. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I have actually watched both a 59A & an 8BA run w/o the stand & pushrod to see - because there's so much conflicting info. Both spray oil into the bushing area - the 59A moreso than the 8BA, but both do.

If it were me, I'd just put a shortened pushrod in there...

13. gashog

gashog

All the references I have say that you need to block the bore for the early engines but don't need to do anything for the 8BA's. I don't have any first hand experience but neither of the 8BA's I have had anything in the bore when I got them. I didn't want to take a chance as it was easy enough to take care of. I cut a long 7/16" bolt so it wouldn't quite reach the cam and slipped the shank in the bore.

Attached Files: