Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T...Slapping a motor on the Schwinn !~!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruzr, Jul 14, 2007.

1. cruzr

cruzr

Bought one of the chinese 2 cycle kits off ebay ,and after a bunch of modification,got it going. Its not a whizzer but for 200 bucks its a hellofa a lot of fun!!

Attached Files:

• 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      91.3 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      61.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      76.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      80.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      90.2 KB
      Views:
  2. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

I had two of 'em a few years back...

After porting, dinkin' around with the pipe, and modding the air box I saw 40 MPH on the flat with one and 45 MPH on the flat with the other. Bikes are built to go 25 MPH - no more; when you spool one up to nearly 2X its design speed, things get hairy.

It's as scared as I've ever been on a thing with a motor - and I don't scare easily. I'd built them for my kids - and wouldn't let them ride 'em.

Be careful.

3. cruzr

cruzr

Ive had this one up to about 35 , i got a couple of buddys that run real Whizzers ,hopped up and one goes about 70 ! Talk about hairy.........LOL

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

looks cool. what type of mods did you have to do to get it running?

5. Midnight340

Midnight340

Or you can go electric....and about 36 mph. Nice torque in general usage. This is one I did for a customer.
    Del
    Current Cycle Bikes

Attached Files:

6. [​IMG]

Diamond Daves dad found an old Firestone bike and did the same thing.

7. [​IMG]

if you look closely,you can see the motormount he had to modify on the front.

8. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Ha! thier a HOOT! I really like riding mine, I just need to get it painted up and get the bike a bit more retro...

Attached Files:

9. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

Did you order the one form Canada? If so, how long did it take to get. I want to geet one of these for my Grandpa, by august 1st. I 've emailed two different sellers and havn;t gotten a response.

10. cruzr

cruzr

bought it on egay..several sellers there have em, i got mine right away after ordering

11. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

They can be fun. I went the difficult direction and built mine from scratch. The engine is a 2/3 hp Briggs & Stratton with a kick starter from an old Maytag washing machine. I used a John Deere riding mower 5 speed trans. It tops out around 23-24 mph.

[​IMG]

12. cruzr

cruzr

oktr6r.......that thing is cool, engine kinda heavy??

the only tough part on the kits is the rear sprocket

13. Midnight340

Midnight340

Do these work by pedaling off the start, then they pedal assist? Or do they have power to take off without pedaling? Just wondering since I have my old Schwinn with that hole in the frame!
    Thanks.

14. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

A little, it's cast iron, since they didn't build 'em from aluminum in '47 when that engine was made. The frame is heavy too, the only part of it that's from a bicycle is the neck, forks, wheels, and bars. The rest is heavy wall seamless pipe hand bent to fit the parts together.

The rear wheel on mine was the most expensive part, cost me $40, including shipping. It's a drum brake wheel from a bicycle.

15. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Mine is a pedal assist. There is a clutch lever that you pull in to pedal then give it gas and go. Its a pretty easy set up. I did have to cut the fender for chain clearance and fab up my own bracket to bolt the engine to the down tube but pretty easy. oktr6r your bike is sweet my buddy Buckle is looking for something like that!

16. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

It's easy... Just start with one of these and build around it. Here's the engine and a link to the build.

http://triumphchoppers.com/gallery/album48

[​IMG]

17. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

i searched Egay without much luck,I really would like to take my old bike I used to ride to school and put one of these kits on it. I rode that bike to school everyday for 9 years!:D Lotsa good memories there....Now that I am 50 I could have a wee bit o fun with a kit like that. Any links or leads are apprieciated.....Ron

18. flynstone

flynstone

heres a couple i built the green one is mine

Attached Files:

19. kingsmotorbikes.com That's where my buddy got his.

20. DrJ

DrJ

The irony of it all, as I sit here contemplating a "hotrod" that's pedal powered with no motor at all... :cool:

21. Cruzr--- Very cool! I gotta do one of these...

22. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

you know we will have to start racing them now, watch out s.f.v.i.s.b.f.

23. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Kings motor is where I got mine as well. I would kill to do a cannonball like those guys did in Cali. a while back. I heard about a race around lake erie on anything under 50cc and guys doing it in 2-3 days. Start in detroit, go through ohio and Penn. up through Niagra and shoot across Ontario, hard core!

24. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Cruzr,

I slapped the same motor on my modified Huffy. Took a lot of modification to get that puppy to fit on a 20" bike! Lot of trial fit and a custom intake manifold and exhaust pipe (turned the carb sidways).

I call this thing my Skinny Chopper. It is a blast to ride around.

Mike

Attached Files:

25. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

THE PAID LADY!!! a fellow kropdusters bike turned , well, bike i guess! its a hoot:)

Attached Files:

• wes.JPG
      wes.JPG
      File size:
      115.3 KB
      Views:
  26. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

27. cruzr

cruzr

Burny........we could start a west coast Hamb schwinn drags......LOL

28. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

Got A Good Friend Build One With The Same Kit Rides It 30-40 Miles A Week He Gets All Over On That Thing

29. cruzr

cruzr

guess i am not the only "nutcase" on the site as far as goofy "sidetrips" into hot rodding.......whats next guys?? motorized arm chairs...........:D

30. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

I started with a 1951 Schwinn and used as many Whizzer parts as I could. Powder coated it and pinstriped it myself. This shot does not show it. Even built custom built a muffler insert for it so it was not too loud but flowed lots of exhaust!

Attached Files: