Register now to get rid of these ads!

Our Paso Adventure Day TWO, Friday-Road Zombies Cruz Down and Paso Cruz Nite

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Jun 5, 2007.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Day One of the adventure can be found here
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186778&page=4

Friday morning after breakfast we headed back over to Gambino Customs for a quick tour before heading over to the gas station where everyone was meeting up.
    I believe this was Alex’s daughters car. A number of gals were getting it ready to roll south to Paso.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alex has a lot of cool projects going on…….
    Absuply
    [​IMG]

Racer756
    [​IMG]

……including Notebooms Caddy which as mentioned earlier just didn’t get completed in time to debute in Paso.
    [​IMG]

JohnnyBoy63, who’s ride was just about completed as well but had some engine trouble earlier so a new one had to be dropped in therefore it wasn’t able to make a Paso debute either.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking forward to seeing both these cars next year at the show though. Checked out the rest of the shop then headed over to the gas station to meet up with everyone else.

Mingled around a bit introducing ourselves. The first one I spotted and introduced myself to was Steve, Coupe-De-Cab. It was wonderful to meet you. Thanks for the great hug! I can’t believe I didn’t get a photo of the two of us together. Next year for sure.

Met BigBlockScotty and his lovely girlfriend. It was nice to meet you both. Thanks for making us feel welcome.
    [​IMG]

It was a real pleasure when Notebooms (Scott) arrived in his wagon. Great looking ride, wonderful color combination.
    [​IMG]

I had been so looking forward to finally meeting him in person and thanking him for everything he’s done for Ryan and the HAMB. What a GREAT guy. It was AWESOME to finally meet you in person sweetie! Your wagon is bitchin'.
    [​IMG]

We hung around longer then planned, one guy was having radiator issues and took his ride back to the shop to fix. So it gave us the opportunity to check out all the rides….and there were lots.
    [​IMG]

I really liked this one AND it belonged to a gal!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got a chance to meet BlackTopButcher and check out his truck while we were hanging out waiting.
    [​IMG]

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Alex pulling out
    [​IMG]

Finally hit the road en masse. EVERYONE'S ride looked killer at speed. I was in ‘photographer hanging out the window’ mode. I LOVE my new camera!

RustyPipes
    [​IMG]

Coupe-De-Cab with Gonzo32 riding shotgun
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SkotyChopsKustoms
    [​IMG]

BlackTopButcher
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mrs Gambino
    [​IMG]

RoadZombie
    [​IMG]

Noteboom
    [​IMG]

Alex’s daughter's ride
    [​IMG]

JohnnyKCK
    [​IMG]

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

While on the way we stopped at a gas station that had a few cars at it
    [​IMG]

and had a chance to chat alittle more with Gonaz32. Very nice guy, I liked him a lot.
    [​IMG]

We were traveling the fast lane when Larry spots a red truck up ahead. Once we got alittle closer we realized it was a ‘40. By the time Megan pulled up along the side of him I was waving out the window introducing myself to Mike…. AKA BaronVonMike.
    [​IMG]

A few of the cars that were traveling with Mike.
    Sammy Del Lame
    [​IMG]

Dave
    [​IMG]

and the imfamous Jive Bomber:D
    [​IMG]

Wasn’t long before we were pulling into Paso. WOW, cool cars EVERYWHERE, cruzn and parked.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We found side street parking just past the Paso Inn knowing that was where a lot of folks hang out. Within 5 minutes of arrival this handsome dude was introducing himself,. It was Coby AKA RoadApple, owner of Church. We had never met before so this was quite the honor. There were lots of hugs and pats on the back. It was great seeing him doing so well after his surgery.
    [​IMG]

A few minutes later we were meeting HotRodHon and his lovely wife for the first time. What a great couple. It was wonderful to meet you both. Thank you so much for hooking us up with not only the hotel parking pass (which made us feel like rock stars) but the goodie bags as well. We will certainly hook up and spend more time together next year and once again THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for the offer of the’37. Means A LOT that you’d trust me with your baby.
    [​IMG]

Not that all photos don’t have a story but this one well……we spot WannaB’s car in the gas station parking lot and kinda hang out for a minute or two seeing if anyone comes back to it. I spot these two guys sitting in lawn chairs on the grassy blvd right in front so I think to myself maybe that’s him. So I walk up to him and ask him if he’s Lance…WannaB. He says no and then I explain that over there is a pals car and I thought it was him sitting here. He then asks me are you HotRodLadyCrusr?? I said, “and you are???” "Detonator", he tell me. Well we got a large laugh outta that and stood around chatting for I’d guess over an hour. GREAT guy and a new friend for life.
    [​IMG]

By this time Megan had seen someone enter WannaB’s car then go back over and sit on the brick wall so we started in that direction. Lance spotted us right away and HUGE hugs all around. He introduced us to his bride Toni who we hit it off with right away.
    [​IMG]

Stood around chatting and watching cars…both famous and not so famous.
    [​IMG]

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

As we were standing around chatting, Art Himsel walks near. Larry immediately recognizes him and approaches him and introduces himself as a fellow striper. Art seemed real pleased to meet Larry and have the opportunity to talk shop.
    [​IMG]

Art then invites us over to his one of a kind "Zepplin" and allows us to view inside!
    Manufactured in 1942, The Roadliner is a streamlined road-blimp that was slated to go into production before World War II. Due to the shortage of materials during the war, only one was ever made.
    [​IMG]

What a treat! He then starts showing us his build scrapbook, poses for photos and even presents each of us with an autographed flamed watch!
    [​IMG]

It was sure an honor meeting him and having the opportunity to hang out. He even invited us to his home which we will of course take him up on the offer the next time we're in the East Bay area.
    [​IMG]

Shortly after exiting the bus I spot a guy in a group wearing a Hollenbeck T-shirt which I know is the company that Terri Hollenbeck’s (Brizio) husband owns. So I’m thinking I’ll just approach him and ask if he knows where Terri AKA: Born A HotRodGal is. She and I had never met, just exchanged PM’s before this trip. Well as I started to approach the group someone hollers “DENISE??”, and it was Terri who was standing in the group. I holler “Terri??” and we both laugh as we start hugging each other. It certainly was starting to feel like old home week, running into so many friendly and outgoing people.
    [​IMG]

Terri, it was wonderful to finally meet you in person. Thanks SO MUCH for encouraging us to visit your brothers shop. We had a great time and the guys there were so accommodating, especially your brother. We had a ball. I'd love to have the opportunity to show you guys around Detroit. Keep in touch and when you make it this way we'll plan something fun.

Larry and Art made it over to where were standing and chatting…….
    [​IMG]

……..and it wasn’t long before Terri is introducing us to her friend Chip. The circle of folks just keeps growing. Notice the shirt he’s wearing?? The one Chip's wearing guys,....not Megan.:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We checked out a few more cars……
    [​IMG]

This one brought back some fond memories
    [​IMG]

We then decide that maybe we should get something to eat since it was almost dinnertime and we hadn’t even thought about food since breakfast in the hotel back in San Jose. We start across the park to head to this Italian resturant that Terri mentioned was good and lo and behold we run into Jason, EvilFordCoupe, owner of Flyrite Choppers in Austin Tx and Marcy in her booth. It was AWESOME seeing you both. (Thanks Marcy for the you know what. I actually ended up wearing it a lot once we started driving up the coast. You’re a sweetheart! xoxox)
    [​IMG]

Jason asked to borrow my purse but since it was the only one I brought for the weekend I had to deny his request. I think I’ll just make him one of his own. Perhaps he’d enjoy one with choppers and boppers on it. (He told me he’d get me if I posted this so if I end up dead somewhere he should be the number one suspect:D )
    [​IMG]

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

After a yummy dinner we started checking out MORE cars…….but not before I got a phone call from CalifCarl who it just so happened was in the same parking lot I was in at the time. We FINALLY got to meet in person after "knowing" each other for over 7 years on the internet......before I was on the HAMB. It was great putting a face to a screen name. I'd like to thank him and his lovely wife for inviting me to spend the weekend at their house in Paso. It was a very generous offer and one I do plan on taking them up on in the future.

Carl, it was AWESOME meeting you and having the opportunity to walk around looking at cars with you all weekend and just getting to know you more. After all the time we spent together I can't believe I didn't get a photo of the two of us together??!!?? THANKS again bud, I really enjoy your company.

On to more cars.......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

…and more friends.

Evel and Dave Martinez. It was GREAT seeing you both again.
    [​IMG]

Jon AKA JunkieVonJoyo from the South Austin Speed Shop
    [​IMG]

Reggie, ALWAYS a pleasure! Your hugs are the best!
    [​IMG]

…including Blackie, who had just had his pacemaker replaced after it went bad while at his Doctors office. Scary stuff. He’s doing well though and seemed happy to be out and about checking out the cars and chatting with folks.
    [​IMG]

Wasn’t long before the official cruzn started.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The place was PACKED with people watching
    Looking south down Spring Street, that's the Paso Inn on the right side of the photo
    [​IMG]

Looking north up Spring Street. That's the gas station parking lot that lots of folks mentioned in other posts.
    [​IMG]

We hung out right in front of the Paso Inn on the brick wall to watch the action with a bunch of our TX and CA pals.
    L2R: Mike, Reggie, Beatnikontinental, Chuck, WannaB and Toni
    Larry and Megan standing behind
    [​IMG]

Norm from the Austin area. GREAT seeing ya again bud!
    [​IMG]

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The cool cars cruzn back and forth in front of us were endless…..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one was Megan’s favorite and ranked pretty high up there in my book too
    [​IMG]

and HAMB friends stopped to chat every now and then

[​IMG]

Finished the nite chatting with Cleatus and his lovely wife. I’ve admired Cleatus and his posts on the HAMB for years and it was an honor to finally be able to meet him in person. Thanks for making me feel so special in the customizing that I have done to Big Olds over the years. Means a lot that you “approve” or should I say concur with my decisions.
    [​IMG]

A few more shots as we were calling it a nite.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All and all a most awesome day spent in Paso and the actual "show" has even started yet!!!:D

Day 3 can be found here
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2027053#post2027053

7. 60'coupe

60'coupe

WOW, Denise I love to see your posts, it really makes me miss Paso 2007, The sights, The sounds and The people. You even cought Nina and I in the Cadi on Spring Street making a lap !
    Thank you Very Much for all that you do for the HAMB,
    Rob

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I tried to snap a photo of folks that I knew in the cruz....or cars I really liked.:D

9. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

good stuff!!! keep it coming........and nice meeting u at the meet and greet!!

10. Looks like fun. I really wish i went this year.

11. Keep it up...good work!!

And nice to meet you in Paso also!

12. Great pics, especially the cruise down to Paso and the Spring St. coverage...I love seeing the 'em rolling.

Thanks for posting.

Bryan

13. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Yea ...Denise, we'll snap one together for sure next year after i give ya a big hug:)
    Great to meet you, larry and Megan as well, thanks for setting up a nice meet-n-greet, passin out the name tags and cookies and larry with the cool lil Paso/Hamb stickers.

By the way, my co-pilot on the trip down was none other than the co-founder of the Road Zombies Car Club and goes by the name of Bill Gonzales. He just joined the Hamb about a week ago and goes under the name -Gonzo32. Thanks again for sharing all these cool photos of your trip, you guys really know how to have a killer hotrod vacation!
    You covered some awesome miles... ah the memories:)
    Blessings.

14. Another SPECTACULAR job, Denise!:D

An observation: Denise really does her homework. In an earlier thread she asked whoever was going to Paso to post a photo of their ride. Well, she printed out the entire thread and put a screen/real name to each car. When we spotted BaronVonMike on the road and approached his truck for a photo, as HRLC was hanging out the window with her camera, screaming her name, I flipped through the print of the thread and found Mike's post and held it up for him to see. He looked puzzled and then recognized his post, pointed at it and started laughing. Pretty weird when a Magnum wagon pulls up next to you with an "hysterical":) photojournalist hanging out the window and an old guy showing you a picture of your HAMB post.:D

I've been a fan of Art Himsl since first seeing his work on Andy's Instant T. He's been an inspiration to me ever since. To meet him and spend some time with him was a real pleasure, he's a very gracious guy. Here's a scan of an old fuzzy Poloroid from the early 70's of a bike I painted after seeing Art's work. It's white pearl with candy graphics and charcoal striping. Thanks, Art!

[​IMG]

15. brainfrz

brainfrz

Great 2nd post. love all the angles you cover and your memory of the event and contacts is outstanding. I can barely remember my name half the time but peoples screen names also!

Jon

16. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Great stuff, only 50 more weeks 'til next Paso.

17. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

Denise, thanks for the awesome posts. First, The shop tour now the Hamb family tour. Thanks for taking the time. Felt like I was there...Awesome..Just awesome.

18. Denise - good to catch up with ya "on the wall" - and nice write up of your trip. I'll let you know about Day of the Drags dates and we'll see you here in Austin again soon...

19. Muttley

Muttley

I see you're counting too. :rolleyes: ;) :D

20. 53chevy

53chevy

Denise,

As always great write-up. The pics and the story's of each one is Fantastic! Thank You for sharing. As what everyone else has said, you feel like you were there. You seem to capture the essence of your trips and that's what it's all about! Hope to bump into you down the road and maybe hear the stories of these trips, awesome. Viva La HAMB!

Ken

21. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Excellent post. Looking forward to day THREE.

22. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

23. slammed

slammed

Lot's of action pic's famous and regular rodder's too..........thank's m' lady.

24. Crunchy Sock

Crunchy Sock
    from So Cal

Great pics, and Gambino Customs has some tasty projects in the making...

25. Whew! What a awesome post.....

Joel

26. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

of all these cars there werte only 3 road zombies cars the 49 chevy blk with red scalopes,cabs 35 and scoty chops modle a,and there were two x road zombies cars blktopbuchers truck and notebooms wagon!

27. Yaril

Yaril

I'm Yaril from Miami, Fl. It was a pleasure meeting ya hotrodladycrusr i had pancakes with ya :D

and Alex it was very nice meeting you too. you and Skoty. you guys are very down to earth and have bitchen cars. if i ever make the drive in my 51 buick i dont think ill come back to Miami.

28. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Great to see you Denise! Thanks for sharing all your pics. The people are what make that show what it is for me....

29. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Denise-

That 39 Merc you passed was me!
    I was rolling along w/ Sammy, Dave, and Baron von Mike down to Paso...

[​IMG]

BTW-It was nice re-meeting you at the meet & greet!!!

30. Hey Denise,

Glad you've had time to post these aventures. I could not stop laughing when you guys pulled up at 75mph and just started yelling out the window! It was obvious that you were having a blast.

I was travelling with a couple HAMBers, as you state.

This is Jive-Bomber:

[​IMG]

And this is Sammy Del Lame:

[​IMG]

The black shoebox is our friend Dave, but I dunno if he hangs out here.

Glad that you guys enjoyed yourselves so.

Mike