Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT tire balancing subject (BB's and golf balls)...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lotus, May 29, 2007.

1. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I was talking with my brother who has a 4x4 truck and he said he used BB's to balance his tire. I was like WTH I can see how it would work as they would sling tothe proper area but I had never heard of that.

He said some use golf balls some use a special type BB that does not make as much racket when you are slowing down and they start falling and hitting the wheels.

I found it comical what these guys do but I imagine there are some things we do that makes other scratch there heads too.

Have any of you ever heard of this BB/golf ball balancing trick?

2. There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago.....

Dyna Beads

:rolleyes:

3. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

ooops...sorry. hehe, did not even think to search it. oh well.

4. pecker head

pecker head

Im still curious if Dyna Beads work in bias tires ?

5. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Used Dyna-beads on bias-ply motorcycle tires and they work. Should work on any tire.:) :D

6. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

anti-freeze,BB's,golf balls,centra-matic balancers,equal, all will work,much better than lead drive on weights.tires de-form at speed and the balancing needs change when they do.

7. I always had the impression that such tactics don't balance as much as dampen, much like a harmonic balancer on your engine.

8. If they were really that good why don't the factories use them on their new cars?
    And tire shops as well.

Heckuva lot cheaper in the Man-Hours dept to fling in some BB's than it is to spin a wheel/tire combo up on a balancing machine, add weights, double check etc.

This idea has been around a long while and never really taken off.

Seems too that out-of-plane balance issues wouldn't be taken care off by movable weights that go to the extreme outside center of the tire due to centrifugal force.

9. B-Man

B-Man

I currently have BB's in my Bronco tires. They are 38's and most shops can't balance them. I have also used the golf balls. I think the golf balls work better, but they take awhile to "spool up". It may be that I don't have enough BB's in there. I had a buddy put them in when he mounted my tires. Yeah, it may or may not work, but when tires that big start shaking, you will try anything to make them behave. If I had the choice of regular tire weights, I would use them.

10. B-Man

B-Man

Oh, forgot. The funny thing about the golf balls, when you take them out, the little dimples are worn off. They are completely smooth.
    And when you come to a stop, you can still hear them rolling around for awhile.

11. Haywood

Haywood
    from M'boro,TN

Damn..... how many golf balls do you have in there????