Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harbor Freight bead roller and shear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Dan

Dan

I know a couple people here use them, did you get them on sale and how good was the sale? I am thinking about getting one for my school shop but I have a REAL low budget so I'd to hit a sale if I could. Also, didn't someone post some pics of how they reinforced the frame?? I'd like to see that again. Thanks-

2. Zor

Zor
    from Phoenix

i didn't know harbor freight handled that kind of equipment. what are the prices on that stuff???

3. TINGLER

TINGLER

I have one and I like it. I think it does a good job. The shear leaves a bit to be desired though...

I got mine for $89.00 and It came with a good assortment of rollers.
    They DO flex, so look into fabricating a support for the upper half.

JT.

4. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

VonTingler is exactly right: the bead rollers do flex.

Personally, I think that the $89 one is a piece of crap. It does come with a wide variety of dies, but they're pretty low grade steel with a black oxide finish, which is a pretty weird surface for rolling dies. If you're not going to use them a lot, and you need the deep throat, then go for it.

Harbor Freight used to carry a bead roller that cost something like $119 that was completely different. It had a very short throat, but it was very string and stable. I think that it even had keys in the rollers, which the $89 one certainly doesn't have. If you can find that one, either new or used, grab it. Unless, of course, you need a deep throat. (Who doesn't?) [​IMG]

5. trey

trey

we have the 89 dollar one. it does flex. we reinforced it, but still bends a little. just go buy a pullmax
    [​IMG]
    trey

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have the bead roller and it works great on aluminum, steel is a little tougher though.
    The shear sucks.

7. Killer

Killer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

$89 on sale.

The shears don't work.

Straight out of the box, it flexed on 20 gauge.

It doesn't flex at all now....

8. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

I have a beadroller and like the others say, softer metals are fine but they are a little shaky on tuff stuff.I guess the old saying you get what you pay for is true,but with a little bracing,they really are not bad and they really are reasonably priced for what you get.

9. Dan

Dan

damn, the shear is one of the major reasons I wanted it. We are planning a go-cart project and I thought this would be a good way to shear and roll some beads into the "floor pan" of the go cart. Maybe I'll try one anyhow, it would be nice to have the bead rolling capability-

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

thanks Killer,

I just bought one a couple weeks ago, haven't been able to set it up yet,

I know how I'll do it now!

Paul

11. [ QUOTE ]
    the shear is one of the major reasons I wanted it. We are planning a go-cart project and I thought this would be a good way to shear and roll some beads into the "floor pan" of the go cart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fwiw - I've found the Harbor Freight air shear works pretty good.
    Especially so if you clamp a long straight edge to it - angle steel works well as a guide while cutting.

If you're using steel, a good trick to trim off that pesky last 1/16 to 1/8" or so is to clamp a straight piece of angle to the sheet metal and use a 4" grinder with Pearl Wheel - some call it a flap disc - and grind the exposed edge down to the angle.
    This little trick worked well for me when I built the 31's hood sides and the upper and lower bends were already done.
    Cutting those areas with snips invites distortion and all the rest.

I haven't tried the grinding trick on aluminum yet, but I think doing it with a Pearl Wheel it would work ok.

12. Dan

Dan

good tip, thanks

13. Hey Killer
    Can't see in the pic too well, but is your brace "U" shaped, sqare tubing ? Bolted to the bead roller looks like. What wall thickness did you use ?
    Love the stand.

14. Please better pics I just bought one on sale 2 weeks ago

15. Fastsporty

Fastsporty

C9, can we have a pic of how you clamp the angle iron to it? Also Killer how bout a little tech on your set up, why you bolted it instead of welding it? I think this could be a good tip because alot of us have that same model.

16. Killer

Killer

2x2x.120 wall square tubing.

dunno why I bolted it instead of welding... prolly seemed easier at the time...

BTW, it does 16 gauge easy now...