Register now to get rid of these ads!

I know I need a carb with a power valve but....????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mbmopar, Mar 21, 2007.

1. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

I am collecting Holley 94 carbs to build a 3x2 setup for my 270 Super Red Ram HEMI and am looking to complete the set of three with a carb that has a power valve, but, if I do go for a center carb with a valve located such as this one in the pic...:confused:

Will I have room to clear the forward carb? I am not sure which manifold I'll be using, either the OFFY aluminum or the lakesheaders.com 3x2 log style.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys...first time 3x2 setup...lots of questions that will no doubt be answered!

Derek

2. Paul2748

Paul2748

If you are talking about the valve that sticks out from the rear of the carb, it is not the power valve. That is what is called an economizer valve and should be plugged if you are not using a regular Ford distributor. The plug that is used for plugging the power valve can be used for a plug. The power valve is screwed into the middle part of the carb- you have to take off the bottom part to get to it.

You probably will have room - i have a 3 x 2 setup on my YBlock and there is plenty of room between carbs at this point.

3. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

Thanks Paul2748, Just goes to show you how new I am at identifying these carbs.... Wondering where exactly and if all 94's have for placement of these power valves, I'm only familiar with them in refernce to older Holley 4 bbls...

If you any any othe HAMB'er has a pic of such, please forward it.
    Cheers,
    Derek

4. STICKMAN

STICKMAN

The power valve is located under the bowl in the middle section of the carb (above the base) It is designed to open at a set vacuum # to send more fuel into the engine when needed. The stock power valve is 7.5 which works good in a single carb application, but if you are running multiple carbs - you will want to change those to about a 4.5 or 5.5 - or you'll be running way too rich. You can find those power valves pretty much anywhere you can find a rebuild kit......... also might want to check out www.flatheadv8.org - allot of info on the old carbs................ Also, you might want to tear into one of those bad boys and check out whats inside - there's no learnen like doin it for yourself. Have fun................Stickman

5. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

Right on Stickman.I'll check out the flathead site....has to be some good info there. I'll be sportin a 3x2 setup and have a bit of schoolin' on the jetting and power valve sizes, but I always like to investigate alot before I attempt....look before you leap kinda thing...

THANKS !!
    Derek

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

7. STICKMAN

STICKMAN

Right on......... As far as jetting goes - The jets are located at the bottom of the bowl - I think #9533 from the looks of your diagram. The jetting is stamped on the outside of the jet - most say to run 50's at sea level, but you can get them smaller - typically 48's or 49's are better for a multi - carb set up............ although it all depends on your motor and its fuel needs (you can also get larger ones - obviously) Also, check out the carb identification table on that site - pretty informative and may help you find the info your looking for................Stickman