Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech : Low Buck Engine Turning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mbmopar, Mar 13, 2007.

1. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

Hi all, just kinda proud of my 3 gauge panel...had it kicking around for a while and while collecting some SW Greenlines for it, I thought a small piece of engine turned metal would finish it off nicely.

When I bought the panel a long, long time ago, it had a double sided decorative finish panel with woodgrain on one side and black texture on the other...the gauges actually hold this panel in place when they are installed.

I looked around and the price of engine turned metal scared me....so witha bit of hunting I found these sheets of sign quality vinyl...with the engine turned finish....a bit of trimming around the panel and voila ! and these sheets were under 2 bucks ! 12" x 12" !

Best, Derek

This will look slick in my 55 Dodge 1/2 ton !

Sorry if this is a repeat, I just wanted to share !

Attached Files:

2. Cshabang

Cshabang

so...whered you find it..haha

3. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

Should have noted...EBAY...paperstreetplactics is the name of the sellers' store..all kinds of neat stuff, silver and gold engine turn, metalflake, etc....

5 vinyl sheets for 10 bucks, a couple for shipping ... as opposed to 50 bucks or better for a very thin piece of actual engine turn...some panels can get into the hundreds....my wife already thinks I spend too much, this made her proud ! : )

Derek

4. dv8

dv8

That's awesome...'flake too huh?.....HMMMMMMMMMMMM.....

5. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

Yeah, Really Bitchin Colors And Some With A Pearl / Chamelion (sp?) Quality.....would Look Neat-o To Match A Panel With A Metallic Steering Wheel And Or Vinyl Seat!

AND MOST HAVE A FEW YEARS EXPECTANCY IN UV LIGHT, BUT FOR 2 BUCKS A SHEET....THAT'S WHY I BOUGHT 5 SHEETS.

6. Cshabang

Cshabang

thank you...haha

7. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

8. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

I use this stuff on semis all the time, It holds up pretty well. alot of guys like the diamond plate too. Small and large engine turned gold. the metallic films do scratch pretty easy though. but on a dash they should last a long time.

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

SPAM alert! ha ha ha!!
    I can get it too....as I make vinyl decals on the side and have a few vendors I deal with..... can also get metalflakes and gold leaf's....the goldleaf is a little spendy though, even for vinyl...