Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Gene Winfield chops a 51 Ford PU @ WCC in MI

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theHIGHLANDER, Mar 13, 2007.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had the honor and pleasure of watching the legendary Gene Winfield chop a 51 Ford cab yesterday at Washtenaw Comm. College. The how who and why I did not get. It was a class for the tech students there and open to all who could attend. I shared this experience with fellow HAMBer's hoboy56 and scrapinranger. A long day as it was to be done before, get this, today! What I have here sort of speaks for itself. The posted pics are some samples and the album link is what I ahve, albeit "inverted" for some od reason. Enjoy this. I consider myself very fortunate to have shared in this.

album link ( hope it works!): http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/Highlander809/Winfield_chop/

2. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Damn Jocko, I wish you'd have called me! I'd have been sick for that.

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sample pics...

the cab

IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/Highlander809/Winfield_chop/Winfield_chop004.jpg[/IMG]

3" cut:

IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/Highlander809/Winfield_chop/Winfield_chop030.jpg[/IMG]

the new profile...nice chop:
    [​IMG]

I left at 11:00 pm and it wasn't done yet. I'll find out how they did and post the finished metal. Any questions can most likely be answered by myself or Joe (hoboy56). It was interesting and had it's share of "tricks" to overcome. I have more pics to add later to the album. It just quit uploading and I wanted to get this going for you all. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry Dan, and to all the rest that I missed. The entire last 5 days are somewhat of a blurr. And now I see that not all the pics are loading...WTF!!! If anyone can change those [​IMG]

5. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

My fault as well. I was going to try to hook up with you this weekend but kids got sick. Did get the body mounts tacked on to Court's truck tonight, though. Looks like we've got a plan that might just work. Ran out of square tubing I was trying to rebuild the floor with but I'll just have to order some more at work tomorrow. Man, I wish I'd have known. I definitely want to get into one of his classes.

6. rodknocker

rodknocker

I see the process was being filmed, anyway to get a veiwing of that? wish I was there.

7. Its always interesting to me to get a glimpse of other customizer's work and how they do it.....

8. Awesome day. When I was at Gene's seminar last weekend in Canton Ohio I heard him talk about this chop going on in my backyard, so there was no way I was gonna miss this one. He finally quit around 12:30 , A.M. that is . He maybe coulda went all night but he had to be on a plane back home early this morning. The energizer bunny ain't got nothin' compared to Gene:)

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

There ya go

10. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

did you guys put a strip across the roof or did you e-wheel a new roof!!
    I know gene is against strips so I was curious because in the pic it looks like both

11. No strips were harmed in the making of this chop. Gene finally decided to lay the windshield posts back and tweak the rear panel.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Denise, and nice to see ya again. Yeah he changed horses in mid stream. I'm still trying to link the rest of the pics to the album. I have some goofy technical issues with my PC and photobucket. I plan to go back and see how they did, and I'll shoot the finished chop and post it up here. Who knows, might have to dig in and help em finish it. A very talented restorer and metal former, Bill Bizer was also in attendance. He may have stepped up to help out the next day. Stay tuned...