Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Air filter from scrap.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KoppaK, Mar 13, 2007.

1. KoppaK

KoppaK

I've been looking out for parts to build an air filter for the Volvo for some time then I found this Helium cylinder and old muffler in the scrap bin at work. I managed to find the early Volvo hubcap at the shop next door.
    [​IMG]
    If you're going to use siome kind of gas canister then make sure it's either an inert gas or is thoroughly empty before you attack it with a cutting disc. If you don't then you may have to recover the remains from next door and change your shorts.I taped 2 cut lines round using masking tape.
    [​IMG]
    Here are the raw materials used ready for assembly
    [​IMG]
    I cut out the bottom of one piece of cylinder to make a flange to fit the carb, in this case a Weber fitted to a Ford V6
    [​IMG]

2. KoppaK

KoppaK

Next step was to line up the base so I could mark straight ahead for future reference, the carb is angled by about 10 degrees on this motor.
    [​IMG]
    Base parts lined up for welding
    [​IMG]
    Top part beginning to take shape it was about now that I realised the cap was paper thin steel with an even thinner chrome on brass cover. I brazing it together in the end.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next I cut the stainless tailpipes off the muffler and welded them to the lid, grinding out the holes after.
    [​IMG]
    Beginning to take shape now
    [​IMG]
    On with the filler, here I have begun to polish the inside of the intake tubes as they are stainless.
    [​IMG]

3. KoppaK

KoppaK

I added these pieces of tube to allow the top to bolt to the bottom as the filter base bolts directly to the top of the carb
    [​IMG]
    Not forgetting to add a breather tube if needed
    [​IMG]
    After priming I laid on several coats of satin black followed by 3 good coats of DIY store sourced flake paint,followed by some clear.
    [​IMG]
    And here is the finished result wedged on the V6. Plenty of work left to do but this was a quick turn around exercise and lifted my enthusiasm level no end
    [​IMG]

4. Carpet Bomber

Carpet Bomber
    from Minnesota

That is bas ass my friend.

5. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

6. Frank

Frank

That is cool.

Is that a Ford 2800? I have a 72 Capri 2600.

7. Is the 2800 the same basic engine as the 3.0 in the aerostar vans?
    Nice job on the air cleaner!!

8. fitzee

fitzee

Very nice and like how you use the hub cap as a top.I have a number of odd caps around.This gives me some new ideas.thanks

9. KoppaK

KoppaK

Yes it's a 2800, I think the Aerostar is a decendant of the Cologne engine with better heads and a larger capacity. It's got a fast road cam, flowed heads with a 5 speed and 4.11 gears so it should be fairly lively.

10. Frank

Frank

2600, 2800, 2900 are all very similar. I think the 3000 is as well. Great book out there by Sven Pruett "How to Modify Your Ford 60 deg V6" or something to that affect. Got on a shelf in the garage.

11. LIMEY

LIMEY

When you said V6 i was thinking Essex until you said odd mounted carb then i knew it was a German Cologne unit, pretty rare over here to find one in an early Capri, they were more common in the UK in Saabs in V4 configuration but the 2.8 V6 first appeared in the Ford Granada in '78 & a 2.3 version in the cortina, i've also seen a 2.0 litre version in a Taurus, all the mk3 onward Capri V6's used the German unit too as did the Sierra XR4's.

Very good use of old scrap.......i like how it turned out!

Kev.

12. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Very nice. IT turned out great.

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That's a great looking piece! Sort of a Swedish Star Wars meets early Cadillac. What element did you end up using for the filter body?
    Is that "Weber" you speak of the stock Ford staged 2-bbl like on all early 2.0 and 2.3 bangers?? C/mon it is, isn't it? Sure it is. Those are great little carbs, I'n going to try a pair on my flathead V8 when I get it in the test stand.

14. MADMILLER

MADMILLER
    from Las Vegas

you are a true craftsman i appriciate your work style

15. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

That is cool! Iv'e been kickin' around an idea to do one much like that but starting with a real old oil bath type air cleaner. Now I'm really fired up. N.N.

16. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Very cool. OT\ Doesn't brass brazing make bondo bubble if it isn't cleaned with acid?

17. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Tell us more about the paint you used, I keep hearing talk of passsable 'flake in a can' available at local stores, but never find anything promising when I look. That looks great...

18. KoppaK

KoppaK

The paint is called Plasticote Glitter, I'm not sure if it's available your side of the pond but there must be something similar. You can just see the can in the last but one pic. I found it in the "effects" section in the local DIY store. I found you get a good effect using it over black and need a lot less to cover. I painted the steering wheel for it over silver and it took like 10 coats to cover,

19. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

That's cool! Here's my attempt couple years ago, I used round tube and an aftermarket cleaner. --mika

[​IMG]

20. deuceguy

deuceguy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. damn your a clever man...can you drop chevy`s:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

monkey

22. BenW455

BenW455

That is cool. Great job.

23. thats just plain cool.

24. KoppaK

KoppaK

The secret is to make sure all the flux is out of the joint, I hope!!!