Register now to get rid of these ads!

Low Tech. How to get more leverage w/ a combination wrench

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewislynn, Mar 13, 2007.

1. lewislynn

lewislynn

This isn't rocket science but it's something I've done since I was 17 (60 now). Maybe some of you have done it too.

Use two combination wrenches, I usually use the next size wrench for my cheater.

Simply insert the box end over the tang of the open end and sometimes for breaking bolts or nuts loose it works better than with a socket because your leverage is in direct line with the bolt/nut, not over the outside.

Attached Files:

2. Rande

Rande

Does the warranty cover that? ;)

3. thrasher

thrasher

i only do that when i can't get a socket on something. otherwise i prefer a ratchet with a cheater bar.

4. lewislynn

lewislynn

I don't know I've never broken a combo wrench using cheaters, only ratchets, and yes the no questions asked warranty covers ratchets.

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

File this one under, "Busted Knuckle and Destroyed Tools Tech." ;)

I've full-force punched some suspension components before using this tech tip...

6. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

7. T-Bone

T-Bone

I usually reserve that trick for loosening, not tightening.

8. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Seems like one wrench might slip off the other with nasty results! I keep several different diameter tubing about 24" long around to slip over the wrench to achieve the same leverage. Might be a little safer. -stick

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

X2........Only emergency junkyard or racetrack use. It's a big nasty flap of skin packed with engine grease waiting to happen.

But it does work, I'll give ya that

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I have an old fork tube I keep around for a cheater... the end is oval'd to fit over larger wrenches.

11. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I see this on my tool truck from time to time. The answer is no if you ask corporate, but I take care of them for my better customers.

12. lewislynn

lewislynn

Apparently there are some genius HAMBers who live in a perfect world where there's always a 2 inch by 24 inch piece of pipe handy wherever they are and never have a situation where a socket with a cheater won't work....

Oh and never busted a knuckle, broke a tool or rounded a bolt or nut either.

Johnny1290 likes this.
  13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the same idea a lot, I guess were just smart enough to know how much pressure to apply so not to bust up our hands!

Short Bull likes this.
  14. the problem with this post is you used the term "rocket science". Should have used the term "common sense". Then most of the people with the negative answers wouldn't have responded, because they wouldn't have understood the term.

15. This works Ok, I usually will put a hand on the joint of the two, because they will typically end up going 90 degrees to either side.

And you are supposed to pull a wrench towards you, not push away, when breaking a fastener loose.
    I'd rather hit myself any day than full-force punch a metal object.

16. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I've done it in a pinch and always worked for me.

17. squirrel

squirrel

I learned this trick from a 15 yr old when I was 16 :)

and I've never gotten hurt using it that I can remember over the past 30 yrs. Pull on wrenches...line them up carefully, hold the part where the two wrenches connect...works fine. my favorite trick for torque converter bolts.

18. rixrex

rixrex

Yessir...learned that many moons ago in the salvage yard business, always worked for me..along with things like 10th letter in VIN will tell you exactly what year car is (works 1980 to 2004, 24 letters in alphabet,now I don't know what they do and don't care) when loosening a nut or bolt that is upside down pull wrench toward you, some cars have left-handed lug nuts..always carry cheater pipe, vice grips and WD40 and watch out for rattlesnakes...

19. Chopped26

Chopped26

I first did this when I was 16 and I thought I was the smartest guy in the world. With a hand full of rusty tools you made due with what you had.

20. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I've been selling that tip to 16 year olds everywhere since I was 15! :)

21. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

That's so funny it hurts...

22. B + M

B + M
    from sacramento

may dad taught me that about 25 years ago. been doing it ever since with no problems. good tech-

23. belair

belair

Learned that little trick at Whites Mines 30 years ago. And yes, you better be careful. Just cuz it works don't mean it's smart.

24. I've done this hundreds of times... some with good results and some that ended in tears.

It's good "tech" for guys who's dads and grandpas never taught 'em, and I think it's important to know simple things too...

JOE:cool:

25. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I do this alot as well.....sometimes it's the only way to get into a place or get the leverage.....especially on the heavy equipment I work on, excavators, dozers, etc......I just don't do it with CHEAP-ASS import wrenches....
    Passed down from my dad, and his dad, and so on.....it's traditional...hahaha!

Guys having a hard time with this SIMPLE tip, bustin' knuckles all the time, probably shouldn't be working with tools in the first place.......

26. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

I do this too...

Never had it taught to me but saw it on one of those car shows on TV. They were interviewing a old duffer that worked at a wrecking yard his whole life and saw him doing this.

Also, if you're putting a cheater on your ratchet, wrap the handle in some old innertube or hockey tape. It keeps the pipe marks off the ratchet and makes sure you'll get a new one at Home Depot.

Shawn

27. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Ditto!

Done right this another useful tidbit of knowledge for those times when nothing else will work.

28. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

Used it for 45 years or so, and yeah I've got a skinned knuckle or two but wtf have got the same from rachets, and using tubing cheater bars (which is not manf. recommended either). I guess I'm just inept with tools. LOL

29. bigken

bigken

DITTO - about 40 years ago, for me............ Works well.
    And hey, busted knuckles and grease go together like panites and bra's on the floor.

30. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Reminds me of my Bulldozer Mechanic friend - he judges ratchets by how much cheater bar you can put on them. For the "good" ones - "they don't make pipe long enough to hurt it". Now to define "good" you may have to test them yourself - don't be surprised when the "best" ones break!!