Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT? Lace Paint Jobs - Pix, Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Woods, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Dave Woods

Dave Woods
    from SoCal

Using your grandma's lace as a stencil on your custom paint job was all the rage for about 30 minutes back in the sixties. So were "cobwebs", which if memory serves, was unthinned paint blown like silly string out of the gun. I remember some nice applications, particularly on race cars - and about a hundred that looked like a POS, especially when used to excess on vans. Anybody got photos?

2. Soviet

Soviet

3. Eryk

Eryk

Yeah, use the search.

But here you go in the mean time.:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Lee Pratt's '58 Impala leaps to mind. Very cool, very subtle.

5. It was a lot longer than 30 minutes. BRING ON THE LACE

6. Did someone say lace?

My daily driver...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roof...... Candy Red over gunmetal/silver base

[​IMG]

7. Dave Woods

Dave Woods
    from SoCal

Sorry about not using the search engine...still a FNG here. Devilrod, your roof rocks!

8. Gas Huffer

Gas Huffer

Devilrod, what a beautiful driver. Bet ya avoid tight parking spots. It's good to see another classic that sees the streets on a daily basis. The lace adds an amazing touch!

9. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Lace was a fun trend..:) I did a design on the hood of my primered '63 Galaxie ragtop in 1970 using a doily and a rattle can of flat white. Believe it or not, it came out pretty groovy!

Jan

10. Cragar

Cragar

It was a bigger job talking Devilrods wife that it would look good than it was doing the lace but I am glad I did and it is not just the roof that is laced the dash has panels of lace under the candy to it was one of those jobs I am happy I did

11. Hell yeah, but well worth the effort! Big thanks go to Cragar for doing this.

Dash shot

[​IMG]

I should add the car was originally meant to be for her, but you know how it goes. I'm looking for a wagon for her to do how she really wants :D

12. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

i wanna bump this old thread back...i have some ideas brewing..
    any new pics???????

13. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

30 minutes?

Well, in the '70s I started doing the psychedelic era effects,...... lace, ribbons, endless line (or isometrics), panel paint, water paint, cob webbing, etc., and continued until......the job that went out about 10 days ago, which had lace.

In recent years I have used it more for texture or pattern, and I'm using some drapery fabrics, too. Here are a few.

Today you can get fabrics with spiders, bats, stars, palm trees, and more......and they still have the classic "chantilly lace". :) I am anticipating that some of the patterns popular in the '60s & '70s are due for a comeback, and when they do I will stock up for the "psychedelic" era paint to come back. I am starting to see the signs already.

Attached Files:

14. poorboy

poorboy

15. toms37gmc

toms37gmc

Sorry I dont have any photos but I had two cars with lace jobs. The first was a 59 Volkswagen, yellow with black lace on fenders I did with a rattle can in 1970. Turned out looking pretty good for a paint job done in the drive way.
    The second was my present truck, 37 GMC, at least thats the way I bought it in 1982. All the fenders were a combination of cobwebbing with multi-color lace around them . Really 60's. I had to strip this off as it had been clear coated with many coats of laquer that had dulled and cracked. The cobweb/lace job only lasted about a month after I bought the truck.

16. yogel

yogel

Buddie of mine`s dad bought him a brand new yellow camaro conv. for graduation.About 3 weeks later the guys talked him into letting them do a lace job on the hood and trunk lid with real lace and spray bombs.Didn`t look anywhere near pro but not bad for a bunch of half drunk teenagers. Anyways the old man blew a gasket and we all had to pitch in to pay a body shop to get it removed.LIVE AND LEARL,if the old man lays out the bucks maybe a good idea to ask BEFORE screwing up the paint job!

17. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Cool stuff, I really love some lace. I hope to lace one of my cars eventually. I regret to say I don't really know all that much about it. I don't want to jack the thread, but: 1.) How hard is it to shoot lace if you're doing it yourself? And 2.) If you have, say, a paint shop do it, is it unreasonably expensive on the grounds that it looks amazing?

Let me see if I can dig up som lace pictures...