Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's it Worth? - 392 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by octane, Jan 25, 2007.

1. octane

octane
    from Virginia

Hey guys. I have an opportunity to buy a 392 Hemi that came out of a '57 Imperial (and sat in the weeds for twenty years). Haven't seen it yet, just had a phone conversation. The guy says the block has been mag'd, bored and sleeved. The crank has been turned and the rods reconditioned. He's missing the oil pan and carb, but says everything else is there, including accessories. The heads never made it to the machine shop, but are complete. The rest of it has been sitting in his garage since it was machined and will need to be cleaned up again.

Can some of you guys give me an idea of what this thing is realistically worth? He wants a grand for it. I think I can do some horse trading to negotiate cash outlay down quite a bit...but I want to know what it's worth to make sure I don't come out on the short end!

If I get this thing it will end up (eventually) in my '40 Plymouth (and will be a hell of a lot cooler than the 360 that will otherwise end up there!). Thanks in advance for the help!!!

2. Soviet

Soviet

A grand is a deal, get it before he changes his mind.

3. Firedome

Firedome
    from Austin, TX
    1. THE YAY-HOOS

Get it. thats a good price....but its definitely gonna cost you more to build than the 360:D

4. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

I would want to know if the engine is frozen up..May be a good price but if you can't rebuild it, then not worth it..
    To rebuild it is several GRAND
    research it..
    Duane

5. Soviet

Soviet

Even if it is frozen, a complete 392 can go for well beyond that on the 'bay.

6. octane

octane
    from Virginia

Thanks guys. I'm gonna meet him to look at it this weekend, it's about 45 minutes from home. He's interested in my rebuilt 360/727...maybe we can do a swap!! I'll letcha know.

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

Yup, it's been magged, bored, and sleeved, and it's still froze :)

8. octane

octane
    from Virginia

Froze to the work bench maybe...it has been cold down here this week!

9. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

Dont you guys know anything? After the crank is machined and the rods are recondotioned they put it all back in and soak it in water GOD hahahahaha

10. tattooedup37

tattooedup37

1K sounds like a fair deal if the block is crack free and the crank is true. I say do it.

11. RacerRick

RacerRick

Keep your 727 from the 360. It will bolt up to the 392 with a adaptor kit.