Register now to get rid of these ads!

1948 F1 pickup mock up pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hoof, Jan 18, 2007.

1. hoof

hoof

Old style (1949) hood and later (1952) fenders, seems to mesh well. I just can't turn the wheels at all with the fenders as low as they are.
    CHAZ
    [​IMG]

2. chopo

chopo

ya better slow down your making me look bad, looks good.

3. lulabelle

lulabelle

I can't seem to see the side-shot.It looks good!Steering is overrated!(side shot!side shot!)

4. hoof

hoof

I gotta open the garage door and stand outside to get a side shot and it is too damn cold!

Maybe tonight before I tear it all back apart.

CHAZ

5. lulabelle

lulabelle

It's too damn cold IN your garage!You wouldn't want to open the door and let the heat in.

6. hoof

hoof

This is as close to a side shot as I can get. The second shot shows the tire as far turned as it will go.

CHAZ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. That earlier hood goes good with the '51-'52 front.

8. k-member

k-member

Looks good. What front end is under that thing?

9. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

Thats looking good I kinda went in the same direction mine is all 50 F1 though. Got lower then I want after it all settled in. I will have to go with air suspension so I can go down the dirt road from the house. ED ke6bnl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

settled some since the lower picture.

10. hoof

hoof

Stock, axle over spring with a few missing leafs.
    CHAZ

11. Lookin good, fenders look like there off a bigger truck. (large wheel opening)

12. hoof

hoof

I don't know. I have seen pics of both and I thought these were the F1,F2 size? I wish they were big enough that I could turn the steering wheel more than 1/128 of a turn. Here is a pic of what they looked like on the donor.
    CHAZ
    [​IMG]

13. Maybe just the angle of the picture.

14. chopndrop

chopndrop

F2 on up had the bigger opening, and you have big truck fenders on there now

15. Chevychopper

Chevychopper
    from Smyrna, DE

Just finished mine but took a slightly different approach and landed everything on a 85 ranger frame. Turned out pretty cool. Only time i get any rubbing is if i'm leanin hard in a turn.

Attached Files:

16. hoof

hoof

Thanks, I didn't realize that.

That does make it that much harder to believe I can't turn the damn wheels at all! Now what?

CHAZ

17. Your front wheels look like they have a fair bit of offset.

Try some centred 5" rims under there, or even negative offset rims.

My F-1 is running 5" Vintiques with 3" in 2" out (or 1" negative offset)....I am running radial 165SR15 (don't shoot me ! )and they seem to clear fine, even with small F-1 guards.

PS I'm not running a beam, so the comparison ain't all that valid

18. hoof

hoof

I need to see if there is room for offset rims, but I liked the idea of running 16 inch stock rims and tires.

I am going to check and see if I might have the whole front clip tilted down a little in the nose? That might cause the front of the wells to be tight.

Does anyone know if I gain any offset using a disc brake conversion?

Thanks,
    CHAZ

19. flynstone

flynstone

here is mine mocked up..........i am going to mount frnders higher......and make up the diff in the hood,,,

Attached Files:

20. hoof

hoof

I definitely got big truck fenders! I got on the F1 board and found out how to tell. If the wheel opening sits above the line where the lower and upper fender sections meet they are big truck (F2-F6) fenders.

I also checked and I did have the front clip running down hill quite a bit. I jacked it up maybe 3-4 inches in the front and that took care of most of the tire-fender interference.

Here is a pic of the early (48-50) big truck fenders on a stock F1 truck. Somehow I don't think mine look this bad.
    CHAZ
    [​IMG]

21. k-member

k-member

That IS the lowest one I have ever seen using the stock front end. And the big fenders don't look too bad with the 16's, but shame about turning radius and all. I will contribute to the pic's with a shot of my green Merc and OldBeet's black Ford with the dreaded Mustang II type front ends.....

Attached Files:

22. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Did you keep any pictures of your progress or anything as you went through it?

I have got one whole F-1 that a guy was doing a backyard frame off on, then got distracted, and one ranger with a junked out body...

23. hoof

hoof

I found that I had the nose of the front clip down about 2 or 3 inches from plum. When I got the nose back up where it should be it made the wheel clearance a whole lot better. It is good enough now that I am going to take it all apart and worry about it on final assembly.
    CHAZ

24. old beet

old beet

I put over 500K on that black P U in 33 years. The mags aren't old school???........OLDBEET

25. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

On of my favorite pics of my 52. Mustang II, dropped spindles and 14"tires will get you here. Later,Bill

[​IMG]

26. Carter

Carter

Here's mine. Frontend sat too low to go over speedbumps before, but the rear was higher. Now that I lowered the rear a bunch, I put the old coils back in the front to get it back down again.

1st pic is stock rear, Nova front w/ new coils.
    [​IMG]

After redoing the rear frame/suspension.
    [​IMG]

With bed back on before getting the front back down.
    [​IMG]

I anticipate it will settle some once driven a bit. That's all for now.

Thanks, Dave

27. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

That is the most bitchin' F1 I've ever seen! Love the front end!!

28. I love your truck !
    Got any more pics ? Side shots ?

29. ...here;s a 48 F-1 I built couple of years ago, had a 72 Nova sub, V8 auto, Chevelle rear-end. Nice driver; it's up around Detroit now.[​IMG]