Register now to get rid of these ads!

58-59 Chevy truck on S-10 chassis?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smalltownspeed, Jan 15, 2007.

1. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

Anybody know anything about puttin 58-59 chevy trucks on s-10 chassis? Ive seen a lot of the earlier trucks set on s-10 chassis, and know that is a pretty good and fairly straight foward swap, but havent really seen it done on the slightly later trucks. Is there a reason why? Is the s-10 chassis/track width is too narrow? Enlighten me, please.

Cory

2. Clark

Clark

I would bet your truck is a little too big for the S-10 frame.
    Clark

3. 1gearhead

1gearhead

We've put a couple of 55-57 truck bodies on the S-10 chassic. Wheel Base(frame length) need to be altered to achieve the correct wheel base. The track is a little narrow. 1" wheel spacers in the front corrected that end. A swap to an early Camero rear axle worked on the rear. All new bed, cab, and radiator core support mounts had to be fabricated. Cab hieght was pretty much dictated by how low the bed could be mounted. Special headers had to be purchased to fit the 350 SBC into the chassis. This was necessary to clear the uppercontrol arms. Both swaps worked out well as trucks drove, stopped and handled very well. We have also installed a 55 pickup body on an 82 chassic. In my opinion that swap worked out better. As track is wider and frame, suspension, steering, and brakes are all larger and heavier. Good luck with your swap.

4. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

I figured new bed, chassis, ect. mounts would be needed, and I also figured a long bed s-10 chassis could be easly shortened for a short bed 58. I had a 49 chevy with a 79 chevy truck chassis, but the front clip was too wide, and skinnys were the only thing that may have looked right, and either way, you couldnt lower it... But are the 58's much wider than the earlier trucks? Reason I was asking about the s-10 is Ive seen a lot of the with v-8 swaps alredy done for under 2k.

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Don't S-10 frames have that weird dip down in the middle, and side rails that are like 6 inches tall? Or is that just the 4x4s. Sure isn't something I'd want hanging out of the profile after all that hard work.

Maybe a B body (80s/90s caprice) chassis would be worth considering? Those cars are every bit a half ton truck underneath.

good luck either way!

6. use a later model truck frame since the Task Force truck suspensions are wider the the AD trucks. i've seen a few done using the mid 80's to 2002 chevy truck frame & it looks like they were made for them. considering even w/the AD trucks(47-55) on a S10 the tires do stick in a tad more then some like & w/the TF truck they are even wider so the tires would be even deeper inside the fenders. check w a guy w/Seon(he's on Hamb-stovebolt-chevytalk i know for sure) that did a 56-58 suburban & used a 2000-2002 chevy truck frame. looked like the frame & suspension was made for the truck...joe

7. Kurt

Kurt

In a old truck magazine a few years back they took a mid70's early 80's front susp. and crossmember clip and put it in a older truck like that. The front end assm. unbolts from the frame and you roll it under the stock frame and mount it up. Alot easier than swapping frames and making all those new mounts.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The 58-59 is prime for a subrame from a Camaro/Firebird of 70's vintage rather than a whole frame swap. You can use the rear end as well.... Check Lux's "subframe in a day" post.

TECH: Camaro Clip in your 58 chevy-in one day!

9. McKee

McKee

There was a feature in a truck magazine awhile back on a 56 pickup on an 88 and up full size GM pickup chassis, track width looked right on and the wheelbase was adjusted by moving the rear axle on the leaf springs. The truck looked and sat perfect and had the advantage of all late model parts.

10. wheelbarrowsgarage

wheelbarrowsgarage
    BANNED
    from Missiry

Heres my 2 cents worth. I have owned a 55 for close to 15 years, one of these years I will actually get to drive it. Came with a stock frame which was quickly ditched for an 81 fullsize pickup, discovered it was bent. Found an 88 pickup, swapped to that, found it was bent. Either of these frames will accept the 55 bodies with the normal ammount of work associated with a frame swap. Both have a slightly wide track and you will have to run about and 8 in wheel max in the back. Anything more then that just won't tuck inside the wheel well. Both of these sit pretty high unless you do some lowering. I have decided to swap yet again and I want this truck to sit on the ground. After looking at an 85 Burb I have I noticed that the frame doesn't kick up until right ahead of the rear springs, a truck frame kicks up at the back of the cab. I haven't gotten to try it yet but this to me looks like a way to basically channel the truck without actually cutting anything. However Burbs are long wheelbase, can you shorten it and still get the effect I am not sure. I am just gonna run a long bed bed and not care! I would not recommend bolting the front crossmember in an older frame, actually have one that somebody did that to and its aweful! the steering box, idler arm, and sway bar still have to be attached to your old frame. Also the newer trucks had basically a Z in the frame that you don't get. BUT from 55-88 all chevy trucks 2 and 4 wheel at some point in the frame measure 34 inches wide. A subframe would be a breeze! Camaro, Nova stubs are pretty easy as well.
    I would be happy to answer any questions I can, been messing with this truck and with others like for a long time. Updating to a newer frame is the way to go if you can. Parts are just so much easier to come up with and in the long run everything is much cheaper and works better!

11. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

The frame swap for this truck is easiest done with a late '70's Malibu. My brother's '58 now sits on a '79 Malibu frame (with the Malibu's running gear including engine and trans) and it looks factory. I believe the Malibu was a 4-door.....a Malibu station wagon of the same vintage would probably work as well.

eliminator28 likes this.
  12. alive 55

alive 55
    from new york

I have a 57.... how low does it sit with the camaro/firebird subframe....i dont want it slammed i still want it to look like a truck somewhat

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

TECH: Camaro Clip in your 58 chevy-in one day!

That should answer your questions. It is quite a bit lower than stock.

14. Ryan Brown here on the H.A.M.B. has a '58 on a '73-'87 Chevy truck chassis, he's been driving it everywhere for years, never seen him without it. I believe he told me years ago it was a real easy swap.

15. alive 55

alive 55
    from new york

thank you for the replys.... i would love to see the one on the 73 chassis, the camaro is too low for my liking..... i also contacted ez chassis like 6 times and he keeps tellin my call back in a few months he dosent have all the peices. hes a nice guy but WTF?......i had a line on a caprice cop car for free but now its gone

16. orange52

orange52

I thought this was pretty cool. This company makes mounts to put 55-59 Chevy truck bodies on a Chevy Caprice chassis. They also make mounts to put the same bodies on full size chevy truck chassis.

http://e-zchassisswaps.com/1955.htm

Oops, looks like you posted 1 minute before I did.

17. edweird

edweird

i would bet that too!

18. R.Brown

R.Brown
    from houston

Thanks Richard D.
    55 -59 on 73 - 87 frame woks good to me. Its my daily driver. the only issue is the back axle postion that can be corrected with the shackels being moved up. But I havent done it, I just keep riding:D. The other major issue is that if you run wide rims/wheels they will stick out. Good luck and enjoy.

Attached Files: