Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Velocity Stacks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Here's how I made some quickie velocity stacks.

I got some tumblers at Walgreen's, $9.99 for two.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They even have the cheesey fake leather wrapping.
    [​IMG]

A view inside.

[​IMG]

I just realized my lathe quit on me, so I chucked it up, turned it by hand, and cut it with the angle grinder.

[​IMG]

I cut about a half inch out of the inner liner with a Dremel tool. (No photo).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished product. I still need to cut a slit in the back and hose clamp 'em. Total time to do four(I botched the first) 1 hour and 1 beer.

2. ratstar

ratstar

That turned out better than I was thinking when I saw that first photo. Good job.

3. I dunno, they still kinda look like what they are-drinking cups. Maybe I need to cut them down to the taper about midway. Need my lathe functioning properly to do that.

4. Hey,Dick D. That's bitchin! I wouldn't slit them. Can't you drill a hole and put a small screw in the sides? Great idea. I saw this awsome aluminum cup thing at Target,and thought of doing the same thing. Already saw someone at the Primer Nats,using them for a drink holder. They look like Moon tanks,cut in half.

5. Fake leather wraps might make great wrist bands!

6. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Love this stuff, I was at "smart and final" the other day and they had some great stainless bowls I immediately saw potential for an aircleaner.

7. It's hillarious you said that, I was wondering what I could do with this leftover crap! Unfortunately, my big dickskinners wont fit through 'em.

I took another shot from a distance to see if I like 'em better, jury's still out.

[​IMG]

8. TINGLER

TINGLER

Hey man,
    Don't take this the wrong way, its a cool idea and one thats worthy of a try... but....

I think they just look like coffee cups setting on top of your carbs.

I don't know if you can do anything to get away from that fact, other than take them off and get some real stacks. ;)

Maybe you can push the concept though and put a sauce pan or two in there as well. :D :D

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey!! Sauce pan headlight buckets!! Cool.......... or not.....

Hey even if you don't like em' you tried something different! Might look better cut midway down the taper like you suggested??

10. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

That's using the old noodle.:D I think they're:cool:
    I'm with Bad Bob,I think I would screw 'em.Hose clamps would make a good idea go tacky.

11. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

There's some aluminum vodka bottles around that I've been eyeing for similar use. They don't taper, though...

12. greeno

greeno
    from Fresno,Ca.

Go to the muffler shop and find some tubing that is alittle too tight to go on the carb. Cut them to length, have the muffler shop swedge them to fit tight on the carb. Have him bell the top with his big flaring tool. Drill 1/8 hole on bottom rim and weld nut on. Use allen screw to tighten to carb. Now polish the steel and clear. They will look like stainless. Probably run you about 40 bucks for six of them.
    Gary

13. LuckyFink

LuckyFink

Although they're not as sturdy, Martini Shakers work fantastically as velocity stacks. You can get them at the dollar store, and you'll go through a few before you get it right. They have a tendancy to bend, especially when being drilled.
    Just my .02

14. Big Tony

Big Tony

very innovative and i don't think they look bad at all... makes them look like they are rolled like the tail pipes ends.

15. I think I agree. Maybe they'll fire of some more good input.

16. TINGLER

TINGLER

.....don't give up yet.

I bet if you'd have shown us those without showing us the origins.....maybe...they wouldn't look like coffee cups.

I don't know. Part of me likes them.

17. bct

bct

seeing this thread they look like cups ...but if seen on thier own i think they look great

18. ratstar

ratstar

Cut it off right below the rim. It may appear to be a rolled lip around it. Just cut the outter shell, not the inside one. See what I'm saying?

19. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

Whooooa. This is weird.

I have a set of coffee cups made out of velocity stacks.

20. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

21. Dirty2

Dirty2

I like it better than exhaust pipes ! :D

22. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

mmmmmmm..... STARBUCKS

23. I can see it now, a donut oil fill breather.

24. I thinkIt looks pretty cool...

You could always put the fake leather wraps back on... ;)

25. Mootz

Mootz

After seeing the close-up, I wasn't sure. After seeing the whole picture of the car, I like it. Now, if you can get your car to run on coffee, you'll solve the worlds energy issues. You're halfway there!!!!

Mootz

26. It will be closer to a "whole car" after the patch panels are welded in this weekend.
    [​IMG]

27. I like them and i bet they work too. Te

28. I like them and i bet they work too. The look is great.
    Don

29. ratstar

ratstar

Did your car get rained on before that shot? looks wet.

30. I sprayed it with Gibbs Brand Penetrant. I did the other side and found out it actually had some 70+ yr old paint still on it! http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/