Register now to get rid of these ads!

Report from the...ahem...upholstery shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rolf, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Rolf

Rolf

Well, I say "ahem", because it's my first try, and it may be presumptuous to call it a real upholstery shop, but anyway...

It was not in the budget this year to farm out the upholstery for the coupe, but I did not want to spend all summer in a tin box without any insulation or comfort. I decided to give it a go myself, and even if it isn't perfect, I can say I did it myself.

I was hoping to get this article out during tech week, but work got in the way, so here it is, and maybe still helpful to some.

Affordable Hot Rod Interior

[​IMG]

I started out making a board from door panel material, available from the upholstery supply house.​

[​IMG]

This is pleated vinyl, also called "poor mans tuck & roll" ! Same stuff Skipstich used in his door panel post.​

If you worry about it being "era correct" it was available in the late fifties. Also, we are going for a decent job on a budget here.
    The pleated vinyl uses Dacron as the pleating material, and it comes 54" wide, marine treated and fade resistant. About $22.00 per yard.​

[​IMG]

This is the piping or vinyl welt cord I used, available from any upholstery supply house in many colors. ​

[​IMG]

Being new at this, I had to figure out what goes in what order before I start sewing ! ​

[​IMG]

First test...​

[​IMG]

I little crooked, but I get the concept...​

[​IMG]

Ok, let's try to make something...I bought this industrial strength sewing machine on eBay for $120.00
    Please note era correct "sewing table", it is crucial for that vintage feel and good result :D

[​IMG]

Here is door panel 1.0. It looked OK, but a bit boring...also, I did not like the visible screws...so...​

[​IMG]

Using Au-ve-co #1720 door panel clips, I can eliminate the screws. You punch the hole about 1/2 inch lower that the corresponding hole in the door, because of the offset in the clip.​

[​IMG]

Door panel version 2.0.
    Better, and more interesting, but still not right. The "horizon" is too high ! Also, see the hole for the lock. That's what happens when you don't PLAN ! ​

[​IMG]

Using some set points I created a more balanced pattern on the panel.​

[​IMG]

Then I transferred the pattern to the top vinyl material.​

[​IMG]

It looks "backwards", but this is how you mate the two panels together with this pattern.​

OK, now how did I do that?

[​IMG]

First I cut out foam that fit the top part, and glued it to the panel. Also, glue the pleated part to the panel.​

[​IMG]

Then lay down your top material, but don't glue it to the foam. You want the vinyl to stretch across the foam. ​

[​IMG]

Apply contact cement to the backside, and the outer edges of the vinyl, wrap and press...and Voila ! You got a door panel. ​

[​IMG]

Door panel 3.0 By George, I think we got it ! With some shiny reproduction trim parts, it looks presentable.​

2. Wow Rolf! That looks great! Better tell Paul to look out, there's a new upholsterer in town! ha ha!

3. Rolf

Rolf

Wait, there is more...

[​IMG]

Using the finished door panel for a guide, I continued the same pattern on the front kick panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made a front firewall cover.

[​IMG]

Looks pretty cozy. The rings around the pedals are dimmer grommets.

[​IMG]

I also made a cover for the seat. The seat is a center seat from a Chrysler van. $40.00 at the local U-Pull.

[​IMG]

This is half inch jute padding. It works great to make the carpet a little more comfortable, and for sound proofing.

[​IMG]

The carpet is black loop carpet that was cut to fit. I edged it with black vinyl edging.

[​IMG]

I also got a small heel pad from the upholstery store.

Rear sail panels

[​IMG]

Using the old glass pattern, I outlined the size of the hole in the sail panel.

[​IMG]

I ended up making it from thin aluminum sheeting.

[​IMG]

Then I just glued matching vinyl to the panel.

[​IMG]

I also cut out a board for the rear bulk head, that goes all the way down to the floor, and covered it with vinyl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So for about $300.00 including the sewing machine, I have an interior that look quite presentable.

I still have the headliner to deal with, but I am having way too much fun driving the car right now. The rain will come soon enough here in the North West, so there will be plenty of time to work on the finishing touches​

4. Bud

Bud
    from Orange, CA

Rolf, your talent and this build never cease to amaze me. Great job.

5. a/fxcomet

a/fxcomet
    from Eugene, OR

Awsome job Rolf! How long did this whole process take you, including trial and error?

This needs to go in the Tech-o-matic.

6. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

wow, this has got to be one of the best coupes out there, great job on the interior!

7. I'm just staring at the screen not comprehending. That is too too too awesome.

8. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

Besides having such a bitchin' car, you should be commended for having a hot rod that is truly "owner built".

-Ryan

9. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Rolf, Dude!

Stop makin' the rest of us look bad. It's hard enough to keep up without you pullin crap like this!

:cool: it looks OK, I guess...

10. Muttley

Muttley

Wow.....that is awesome, I'd love to see it in person one of these days. :cool: :cool: :cool:

11. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I'm stunned. This is amazing work. Looks like a million bucks!

12. Neil

Neil

lookd jenky at first...now im impressed. FUCKYA!!! 120 fer the machine...im gettin on egay!!!!

13. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Rolf, You got my vote for Tech Week (Even if it's over) Man! You make me want to get a Sewing Machine (on e-bay) and start practicing but i'll probably stitch my fingers together.......Two Thumbs up Rolf.

14. its_a_nick

its_a_nick
    from Sweden

great job as always. That coupe is just great.

15. k-member

k-member

Very nice looking, I hope you bring it to the Arlington Drag Strip Reunion, would love to see it in person.

16. I'm blown away! You make it look too easy. Definitely a great Tech...

17. repoman

repoman

I think when Rolf posts a new thread, it should automatically be rated 5 stars.

Thanks Rolf.

18. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

awesome work....

19. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

Rolf you never cease to amaze me, that is just plain awesome!

im going to have to do this to my coupe now, how did you handle the windows? did you use wood?

20. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

21. slamdpup

slamdpup

very nice work...looks bitch'n ..i have been trying to get my wife to start tinkering with some int work..so when im ready she will be able to do my int...she wants to help me build these cars but dont want to do the dirty work..so interior work aint dirty..lol..looks great man

22. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

23. slamdpup

slamdpup

hey man i meant to ask you in my last reply ..is that poor mans tuck and roll .already have the padding as a backing on the material?

24. Paul Windshield

Paul Windshield

Rolf
    Looks great! And you make it look so easy.
    Paul

25. America's Most Beautiful Hot rod (IMHO) just got better! Excellent job. I've nearly finished making new door panels using the same heat-pleated material. Beats paying an upholsterer to do it for ya!

26. Mullda

Mullda

That's fantastic! Thanks for inspiring the rest of us.

27. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

WOW - put this in teh TECH section with Rolf's other post please!!

28. Wow Rolf- we all ought to be convinced we could do it after the step by step- That is what hot roddin is all about- making something from what you can get your hands on.
    Sure some would only have an expensive shop do it -but your interior is killer looking and very, very reasonable in cost too!

29. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great job Rolf,
    tech material!!!

30. Fantastic tech Rolf. After having done half of my interior this time around, next time I wana have a crack and do it ALL on my own. You've inspired me to give it a go....

Fantastic job my man...thanx for taking the time to post !!

Rat