Register now to get rid of these ads!

making 39-48 Ford brakes self energizing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrisntx, Jul 31, 2006.

1. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Does anyone have any info on this? I am considering cutting the lower brake shoe anchors out of the 46-48 backing plates and adding a starwheel. I have been closely watching all the Ford brake posts on the HAMB for about 6 years and I have saved most of them but I havent seen any info on making the Lockheed brakes self energizing. I just finished installing Wilson Welding 39 Lincoln backing plates on the front of my Model A, using the 2" shoes and self adjusters from 74-76 Chev Big Wagons and 40 drums. The Bendix brakes will not work on the rear of the A because of the top post causing the wheel cylinder to sit too low and interferring with the A spring hanger. I will be using 40 Ford rear drums. i'm going out to clean up the backing plates and drums and will check back later. thanks

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

What would anchor the shoes if you made this modification? Seems like there'd be nothing to take the place of the lower anchors or that upper post on the Bendixes.

3. ol fueler

ol fueler

There is a tech article on this modification --- I remember reading it a while back. I think it was done by 48fordnut.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think that article involved converting to Bendix with the upper post by welding 12" chevy wagon outer plate to early Ford inner plate...but chrisntx is trying to get rid of the Bendix upper anchor post, as I understand it.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Andy in Texas did it. I think he used Chevy wagon parts. Search his posts for any hints.

6. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

I did this conversion on a pair of 48 backing plates by adding a anchor pin from a drum brake car and removing the org wheel cylinder and installing ,it lower on backing plate , a wheel cylinder from a ford F2,used F2 shoes and spring kits..This is really not that hard but a lot of little things to work out, because of shoe to drum relationship..They work fantastic..

7. ol fueler

ol fueler

As I recall F 2 & f 250 shoes are equal length linings, front & rear shoe, how did that work out when you made them self energizing?