Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need plans for a Sandblasting cabinet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BinderRod, Jul 19, 2006.

1. BinderRod

BinderRod

I would like to build a sandblasting cabinet. I have a new air compressor so that will not be an issue. I am looking for plans to build the the thing. At one time I saw some plans where they used a plastic 55 gal barrel and they used a piece of lexan for the viewing glass and then used heavy rubber gloves. Any help with sites or plans would be cool. Thanks Keith

2. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Ten years ago, this would be a great idea...but recently, the prices of mass-produced blast cabinets have really about eliminated the need for a home-built version.
    I'm all for building your own shop equipment, but these days building a blast cabinet doesn't make a ton of sense. Tudor just got an "assemble yourself" model off ebay, and it's really nice.
    By the time you get done buying the stuff like plexi, gaskets, gloves, a light, and the materials for making the other stuff like legs, a vacuum cleaner connection nipple, blast gun and tube, expanded metal grate for the bottom of the cabinet to set parts on, paint (you ARE going to paint it, aren't you?) etc., the cost is probably more than buying one with all that already done, not to mention your time.

Do a check on ebay, and try Harbor Freight too.

Not the answer you were looking for, but I went down the same path.

-Brad

3. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

4. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

I used an old refrigerator.

5. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Need to blast anything big? Here's our blast room at work. The assemblies on the stands are 16" x 12" pig launchers for a natural gas pipeline. The slot in the roof is for the 10 ton crane. This booth is 30' x 50', and there's a matching paint room that you can see thru the door at the far end.

Seriously though, great thread. I've been thinking really hard about building a cabinet large enough to do motorcycle frames.

[​IMG]

6. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

yeah I have an old '70 vw bus that was frontended.
    Been waiting for the time to cut it up and use the rear half
    as a blasting cabinet.
    There was an article in an old 80's HOTVW magazine that had
    the how too.
    The rear door is nice and big, great seal,
    with a nice window and space for gloves.

Unfortunately,
    I found it easier to buy a cheaper set up and convert it to the
    box rather than buy all the pieces separately.

TP