Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Firewall Repaired, Thanks to HotRod Ron!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NealinCA, Mar 2, 2004.

1. NealinCA

NealinCA

Last month I posted a request in the HAMB classifieds. I was looking for some pieces (scraps) to repair my grill shell and firewall. Gunar (chopt32) sent me some grill pieces and HotRod Ron sent me some firewall pieces. I started on on the firewall about a week ago and made some more progress this last weekend.

Here is what I started with...

Attached Files:

2. NealinCA

NealinCA

Ron sent me a piece for the area outlined in blue...

Attached Files:

3. NealinCA

NealinCA

It was kind of funny that someone had cut a big area out for engine clearence, then figured out that they didn't need to and tacked it back in. They had tacked it in crooked and had brazed it, so I cut it out, ground off the brass and then gas welded it back in. I fit Ron's pieces in the bottom along with a few pieces I formed and welded that all together.

Attached Files:

4. NealinCA

NealinCA

I had an upper piece that I was able to cut a piece out of to repair the hole they had cut to mount a master cylinder/pedal assembly...

Attached Files:

5. NealinCA

NealinCA

So I am almost done. I got a 46 Ford truck accelorator assembly (per Vaphead's suggestion) from my dad and got that installed as well. I just have to repair one little spot in the left leg and weld up some small holes, but it almost looks usable now.

Attached Files:

6. I can imagine it looks great [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. NealinCA

NealinCA

[ QUOTE ]
    I can imagine it looks great [​IMG] [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

There you go, I got all of my pictures added.

I need to work on my shell next and get the pieces Chopt32 sent me welded in. I will post those pics when I get that done.

Here is one last pic. It needs filler and primer now.

Attached Files:

8. Very nice... I guess I got alittle ahead of myself [​IMG]

I saw a 32 with a flathead in it last summer and they had cut the firewall [​IMG] I couldn't belive it.

Yours will look like it's never been touched.

9. dondanno

dondanno

Damn nice work for a Cali boy [​IMG]....Danny

10. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

That's really neat. There are few things as rewarding as taking something that's been neglected and abused and making it look better than it ever did.

That gas pedal is great, too.

- Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

11. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Great work Neil. You're a little ahead of me on this one and I think I'll just follow quietly along. Looks like you solved your gas pedal problem well too. Keep up the good work.

12. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Great job,looks like new!

13. Nice work -- as usual Neal! I heard from Tim today, I'm looking forward to connecting with him on these r-p/u projects.

14. Very nice Neal.

You're gonna have a very special car when you're done.

Sometimes it seems like you'll never get them together, but you will.
    After you do and you're driving it, it will seem like you've had the car forever....

15. NealinCA

NealinCA

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Parts look better to me when they are cheap or free [​IMG] Then I spend a couple of days cutting, fitting, welding, grinding and I sometimes start to wonder what I am doing working on this old junk. [​IMG]

Hopefully it is worth it in the end...there is an end isn't there?

Neal

16. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Yes, there is an end. When you're done all you'll have left is years of tinkering. Don't stop!!!!

17. [ QUOTE ]
    Hopefully it is worth it in the end...there is an end isn't there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Dirty Dug says, yes there is.

Just look back to where you were at the first of the year, maybe 6 months ago and before that.
    Looking toward the past will show the way to the future.
    You'll find as well, that you're doing more than you thought you were.

Funny part about it is, you get so used to the building, wiring, plumbing etc. that one day you look up and realize that it's time to fire the car up and not long after that, take that long sought after drive around the block.

The best hot rods are the ones with blood, sweat and tears in them -- preferably your own.... [​IMG]

18. TV

TV

Nealin, that is a cool repair,cudos--TV [​IMG]

19. Glad I could help. The pieces came from my 32 firewall that is in my coupe. I never throw away pieces until the car is on the road and I am sure I don't need them. Its great that they went to someone who can use them. See folks, this is what he hamb is all about.

20. NealinCA

NealinCA

[ QUOTE ]
    See folks, this is what he hamb is all about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Thanks again Ron, and you have a package coming your way.

Neal

21. NealinCA

NealinCA

I ran across this old post looking for some before pics of my firewall. I can't believe it was 3-1/2 years ago that I did this repair. Oh well, I am back working on this project. I finished welding up the 20+ holes, repaired the torched up foot and had my brother blast the firewall and frame today. they look like one piece now...instead of a patchwork quilt.

[​IMG]

And the firewall after a little scotchbrite...

[​IMG]

...almost looks like a real 32 part now.

Neal

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Man was it that long ago that I sent you those pieces. Glad you are still working on this. Was woundering were you have been. Keep us all posted on the build. Are you going to the mooneyes christmas show this year? I am going to come out in the coupe, that gave up the pieces that you used.

23. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

24. Rusty

Rusty

I cant wait to start on mine, looks great!!!!!