Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bought a 51 GMC COE (pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38Chevy454, May 4, 2006.

1. Well, I found this locally and decided that it would be a much better start on my car hauler project than my current 49 Ford COE, that is just a bare cab and a complete project, This GMC is a 1951 and is essentially stock original good condition. Drove it home about 35 miles. With the 270 six (unfortunately not the 302) and the four speed compound low trans and two speed rear (6.40 or 9.14 ratios) and the 9.00x20 tires, I could do all of 45 mph on the freeway. Sure is strange to sit up so high, feels like I am driving from the second story.

I will be swapping the suspension out for 1-ton later model stuff, and give it considerable lowering. Most likely run a mid-engine V-8 behind the cab, that 270 is none too powerful. The main advantage to this one is that it is complete and already has the bed length and steel diamond plate ready to use. Once I get the bed down on the frame of course, it is about 6 inches off the frame now. The cab needs to be brought down as well, it is spaced off the frame. That is why the engine behind the cab is the logical solution.

I had a few troubles getting it to my house, thanks to SamIyam for the help driving behind me and the help to fix the problems. We had to put a fuel pump in on the way, but it has 6-volt system, so we put a 12-volt pump and got a core battery form the parts store with enough juice to run the pump wired directly to it. The new pump was then routed to the carb bypassing the stock pump. The brakes gave out a couple miles from home, glad it had a working parking brake, the type with a large band around a drum at the trans output. Here are some crappy pics of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dehudso

dehudso

Man, thats so cool. I bet the people on 580 loved you.

3. 47fordcoe

47fordcoe
    from San Diego

Bad ASS...I love those COE's......good luc and keep us posted!!

4. lesabre59

lesabre59

Nice COE, why dont ya just take the Whipple charger off your Dually? hahaha