Register now to get rid of these ads!

English wheel quick release

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Unkl Ian, Feb 19, 2004.

1. The subject of a quick release on an English Wheel came up a few weeks ago,
    and I promised pictures of the design I built.
    It uses a rotary cam to raise and lower the anvil wheel.
    The rest of the pics can be found on www.metalshapers.org
    Just enter "sulpy" in the search box to find the English Wheel alblum,
    then click on any picture for a better view and more details.
    Pictures of the Upper Yoke,and Foot Wheel will follow.
    I never made formal drawings for this design,
    but will be happy to supply any dimensions or details needed.
    or has any questions

Attached Files:

2. Leon

Leon

Looks good. I just started building my wheel and wasn't sure how to do the release, that gives me some ideas.

3. Ted H

Ted H

Unkl Ian,
    Thanks! There is an English wheel in my future and I've been puzzling over a quik release.This looks simple and shoild work well.
    Ted

4. fitzee

fitzee

I also had problems figureing out the release.The qustion I must add is I see how it releases but I thought that the quick release was so you can remove your panal for fitting and then when you put in back into the wheel the quick release will return the wheels back to the presure you were using.How does this set up do that??

fitzee

5. fitzee

fitzee

Oh by the way,These are great pic,been looking for close up of a English wheel.Here in Newfoundland English wheels are like hen`s teeth.None to be found.So the only way I can see how their build is on line.If there is any other pics of English wheels out there Please post a link to them.thanks

fitzee

6. Hotroddder

Hotroddder
    from Auburn, WA

Here is the one I build for my english wheel. It works of a cam lobe under the risers. The actuating lever is on the other side.......

Not the best pic.

Attached Files:

7. [​IMG]
    The grey primer 2 5/8" OD tube is the frame,it is stationary.
    The 1 3/4" dia chrome shaft is the main column,it's height is adjusted by a 1"-5 Acme screw on the bottom.The 3/16" split pin on the left side of the pic fits into a slot machined in the shaft,to stop it from turning.
    The lower yoke is attatched to the 1 1/4" dia shaft shown in the exploded picture on the site.

In operation,the quick release cam raises the anvil wheel to it's highest position,relative to the main column,then the foot wheel is used to set the pressure on the panel.
    Once the pressure is set,a simple turn on the cam handle lowers the yoke to remove the panel or change anvil wheels.Rotating back the other way returns the anvil wheel to the exact same position.Minor changes in wheeling pressure are made with the foot wheel.

8. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I saw on the great biker buildoff, young Jessie seemed to be trying to use his English wheel to curve a flat sheet of steel for a gas tank!? Is that one of the uses, stretching metal, or was he just goofing around. Eventually he threw it on a sand bag and beat into it with a mallet.

So, an English wheel is just for flattening and smoothing stuff you've beat on, is what I'm wondering?
    Paul

ps. here's a link to a site where a guy builds a 'wheel using large roller bearings. Think I found it on a HAMB post a couple days ago.
    http://www.roddingroundtable.com/tech/articles/12ewheel.html

Attached Files:

9. [ QUOTE ]
    an English wheel is just for flattening and smoothing stuff you've beat on

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many ways to get to where you want to go,
    and as long as you get there in one piece,it's not a problem.
    An English wheel works by smoothing and stretching the metal.

An English Wheel can be used to smoothen a panel roughed out with a mallet and shot bag.
    Or you can use it to shape a flat panel into whatever you want.
    If you were doing a low crown panel,like a door skin on a '34,or a roof filler on a '32,you don't need to create alot of shape so you wouldn't need to rough it out with a mallet.
    To do a high crown panel,like a front fender on a '40 Ford,or a motorcycle gas tank,will require alot more stretching,and shrinking.So you could save yourself alot of time by roughing it out with a mallet on a shot bag.

10. Just added pictures of the upper yoke and wheel.