Register now to get rid of these ads!

hoppin up 200 str8 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustumizer, Dec 1, 2003.

1. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Hey guys, if i decide to hop up my str8 6 what would be some sites to check out? What should i do to get some good performance out of it, and a little power? Thanks Nate

2. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

You had to know I would jump on this one. . .

I learned everything I know about these motors and a lot of other things from Fordsix.com. Maybe its the underdog metality of working on a non-v8 but the guys on the inline sites are generally extremely helpful and cool.

Generally nobody ups the displacement - just kick up the compression a bit maybe. The main thing is getting the air in and out. the stock set up is real constricted so it is real easy to improve it. more carbs. header. port divider. bigger valves. 260 cam. porting.

the seven main bottom end is tough as hell.

there is a good and cheap junkyard dist. upgrade to a ford duraspark. some people do petronix to keep it trad looking.

also check out clifford performance online.

3. burger

burger

inliners.org

4. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

cool, where did you get that split header for your car? What would you recomend on doing to hop this up so its a good some what powerful motor?

5. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I just added to my first post.

Clifford sells headers- thats where I got mine. Also there is a guy who gets them in Australia fordsixparts.com and they may be better.

6. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    Praisethelowered said
    ...Generally nobody ups the displacement - just kick up the compression a bit maybe. The main thing is getting the air in and out. ...

...the seven main bottom end is tough as hell....

[/ QUOTE ]

Before even reading this I was thinking turbocharger. sounds like the bottom end is made for it and turbos were in American cars by '64 so it's "Traditional".

7. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

There are some guys out there messing with turbo's but three carbs on an inline with chrome helmet air cleaners is pretty much the coolest for me!

Offenhauser makes a tri-carb with progressive linkage and with one carb per two cylinders it seems like the thing should really sing. Ask me next week and I'll know!

8. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

How would i go about putting a turbo on the str8 6? I think that would be kind of kool!! Does clifford have a website and around how much do they go for? Thanks Nate

9. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Turbo's are strictly a d.i.y. thing. I saw a paxton supercharger on a six motor once but it just seemed overly complicated for that little motor. The beauty of an inline for me is its simplicity.

If you want to spin the tires it is way easier to do it with a 289 v-8. A six can do it but you have to give some attention to every part and make it all work together well- I like that challenge and I like the idea of having one of the most worked-over sixes around. It is easy to know when to stop when you just do everything you can. There are always guys with bigger v-8's so where do you stop?

10. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    ...There are always guys with bigger v-8's so where do you stop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point...
    As long as it'll pull the hills in your hood and beat the mail truck across an intersection you've got it just right.
    If you "NEED" to be the fastest, then a six will never do it, because, well remember what Stroker Ace said, "Second place ain't shit!"
    And fifteenth place really isn't much worse (losing) than second place, just cost less to get there! [​IMG]

On the turbo. you need a turbocharger that hooks upto your exhaust manifold. headders won't reall help because you want to retain as much heat (energy) in the exhaust as possible till it gets through the turbo. On the inlet side you want a Carburetor. Jetfires and Turbo Monzas used a Carter YF side draft. Same carb as '53-'54 inline six Corvettes (they used 3 of them) and some Hudsons I think. So it's carburetor-turbo-intake manifold. Olds Jetfire also used water/alcohol injection to keep it from detonating.... Have fun!

11. disastron13

disastron13

In Australia they were eventually 250ci with a bigvalve crossflow head.
    Ak Miller made parts and built the little Falcon six bangers back when, there were a couple HRM stories about buildin them up

12. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    ...Ak Miller made parts and built the little Falcon six bangers back when, there were a couple HRM stories about buildin them up

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's a picture of them at the top of this here HAMB page... [​IMG]

13. Kinky6

Kinky6

There is an Aussie bolt-on head, for a '70-'76 250" 2V Falcon, that will help that 200" breath better, but the 3 single barrels would look bitchin', and wake that six up quite a bit, also. Go bang around in the archives and tech info at Fordsix.com - while you're in there, do a search for the Argentinian heads; more 12 port horsepower!

Hop that 200" up a little, and you can ask the babes "Ever have a little six in an old Fairlane?" [​IMG]

Later, Kinky6 [​IMG]

14. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

kool guys, i think i will go for the split header and 3 1 barrels. Does anybody know where i could get that manifold, or does anybody have one for sale! here are some pisc of my comet. The car is way lower know, and most of the bodywork is done!!

Attached Files:

15. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

i took out one of the old body moldings and made one of my own out of sheet metal and it curls down into a devils tale. I will have new pics soon of it on the ground and most of it in primer!! Any tips or suggestion what else i should do with the car?

Attached Files:

16. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I bought my offy from Marcus on the board. Also Clifford (cliffordperformance.com) or Charlie Price (I think vintagespeed.com)have it.

Thanks for posting the pics. Now I really have to start taking you seriously. The devil's tail isn't my kind of thing but damn dude you rule for stepping up with something new and busting out the welder. There are guys three times your age that don't step up like that.Take it easy with that grinder though and keep the welds small. Lets see it in primer and give it its own topic- don't bury it in a straight six post- i want to see everyone's reaction to a seveteen year old newbie with nuts and imagination. Post better photos and the photoshoppers may even come out.

As for suggestions there were some great drawings of a few custom comet drawings in a rod mag within the last year or so. I don't remember where but they looked pretty good. It looks like you already shaved the door handles, right?

17. any one wanting a ford six[200-250?]from an '86 fairmount[carbureted]not all smogged up]I got one with 20thous miles in mint shape- cheap/TRADES?[OUT-ready to pick up] [​IMG]DOHT!-SPAMMM! [​IMG]

18. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Thanks PTL we will have to keep in touch, i think alot of guys dont want to talk to me because of my age and they dont think i know anything. Your the kind of guy who got me what im into. Ill try to take some pics i just have to get my sis digital camera. Im looking for some kool wheels for the comet you know of any places? Old school, no billet or anything. Some hamb has chromies for sale but i dont have the money for them, there wicked bitchin too. Thanks Nate

19. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I am hopping up the six in my 62 Falcon.......

I am using an Austrailan Ford head on 78 200cid engine.

20. haring

haring

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...Ak Miller made parts and built the little Falcon six bangers back when, there were a couple HRM stories about buildin them up

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's a picture of them at the top of this here HAMB page... [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. I've got an Offy setup ready to go on the Ranchero, anyone on here actually ran one? I have been told that with the progressive linkage, the throttle pedal is so stiff that it's almost unbearable. seems like there should be a solution to that. Also, if you go the offy route, you should know that there are two different versions, depending on what year head you use, so be aware of that if you're looking at a swap meet. Head removal is necessary, but looking at the metalwotk you've done, I'm sure you can sort out the minor fab work required to install the offy setup.....Also, look up any of the Ak Miller stuff you can find, it's all really informative, and most of it was really low buck. I have several old HRM articles he did, if you want, PM me and I'll send you copies.....

22. haring

haring

I've got an early 170-200 Offy intake for my car, but as of yet haven't installed it. I hope to get to it this winter. I have an early 200 I'm building up and hope to cut the intake log in January, then send it out for a valve job. If anyone has actual experience running this set-up, let us know. The only other guy I know who has one is only running a "dummy" version (the outer carbs are dummies only).

23. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Holly shit! I never knew that HAMB picture was of ford stuff- the way its cropped I always thought it was a novaII.

But there it is intake and exhaust on the passenger side- looks like ford inlines to me.

The yellow motor appears to be a paxton blower set up with triple carbs which looks really bitchin. I take back my earlier comment about that being too complicated.I am officially looking for one of those starting now.

The red one looks like fuel injection? and where do those zoomie headers stick out on the car?

And the blue one has the offy set up- but the discerning eye will note that it is set up is either not progressive or progressive with the outer two carbs coming on first and the center carb as a secondary which would be the opposite of the offy set up that i have and have seen. Not sure what is going on there.

Now I have a purpose in life- to build all three motors!

24. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Hey flyin' I would really love to get copies of the old AK Miller articles you mentioned.

I'll throw an extra $5 to Ryan in your name in the next HAMB fundraiser for your trouble and postage.

I'll pm my address

25. I'll burn off a few copies this weekend, and I'll start a new post. Anyone who wants a set will get a set mailed to them. Should only be 6 or 8 pages, so postage won't be much, I'll ship them to those interested at no charge.....

26. Hellfish

Hellfish

Nate,
    You should check out inliners.org like someone suggested. They are a great source of info. Most of the guys are into Chevy 6s, but Fords are discussed and ANY old inline motor including Buicks and Volvos! Check out the tech tips, classifieds, and 12 Port Advertisers.

Have you thought about dropping in a 300 I-6? You could probably get one pretty cheap from a junked truck. Pop on ne intake/exhaust from Clifford and you probably will squeal the tires.

27. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

Your best bet is to become a member of the fordsix.com forums, those guys know and do just about everything related to the 144-300 sixes, not to mention the drivetrain and suspension of your car and upgrades.

Kudos for you for jumping into cars at 17. I couldn't do sh*t when I was that old, now at 22 I think I am a bit wiser... You just never quit learning stuff if you're always involved.

The Falcon in my avatar is now my little brother's car, who is also 17. It's running a '78 250 inline six, '70 V8 bellhousing C4, shift kit, MSD, clifford dual header, duals, lowered, etc... It's stock engine except for a non smog RBS carb and the bolt ons already mentioned. He does almost all of the work on it anymore as it's his now.

As for real hop-ups, we have a '70 302 that I got cheap and will be put in in a year. Then the 250 will be available. They're great little motors and have potential.

What would I do to your car? Upgrade the suspension and brakes, ignition system, lower it a bit, maybe a red and white paint scheme, keep it simple! Good luck and I hope to see you in the forums.

28. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

here is another photo of that injected 6

the accompanying text says-

This Falcon 144 was built by Bill Stroppe & Associates (one of Ford's skunk works) in 1961 or 1962. It was bored to 156 inches and the head was reworked to accept Hilborn injectors, larger ports and valves

Attached Files:

29. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

and here is another interesting one

Ak Miller fangle circa 1967. Four 37mm Keihin constant velocity carburettors from Honda 450 motorcycles were attached to stubs brazed to the cylinder head.

Attached Files:

30. DrJ

DrJ

You'll probabaly want to change to a different type of distributor if it's got that vacuum adanc only dissy Ford put on sixes forever. It's "timed to the tock carburetor and if you chang the carb you don't have a proper vacuum source to make it work.