Register now to get rid of these ads!

PHOTOS: Americarna in NEW ZEALAND.....What an EXPERIENCE!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Mar 7, 2008.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

I've been back for a little over a week now, but WOW what a trip!

OK, a little fine print here. This post does contain some off topic (for the HAMB) photos. This post is meant to do more than just show old cars. It's also meant to feature an amazing country and its even more amazing people. That's why there are so many people shots - they really had an impact on me. This may be my longest post ever. I had to try and edit down from nearly 2800 photos.

In August, at the Goodguys West Coast Nationals, I was approached by the promoter of a car show in New Zealand to come check it out. All the details were worked out and I waited for February to come. Goodguys was going to be my link to another cool event.

The flight out was great because I was surprised at the check-in counter with an upgrade to first class. Waited on hand and foot, a full-on flat bed and your own cubicle is definitely the way to travel!

I arrived in New Plymouth after about 16 hours of travel in pretty good spirits. Hell, I had a killer week ahead of me in a beautiful country looking at old cars, who wouldn't be stoked?

Show promoter, John Rae, picked me up in the event's giveaway car at the little New Plymouth airport, and the week began. We ran a few errands the first day and I was introduced to a ton of people helping put on the show. Every single person I met the ENTIRE trip was amazingly friendly. I also met up with the other Americans who'd come out specifically for Americarna, Karen and Kevin Alstott. They are the owners of last years AMBR, Ridler, Goodguys' AMBSR and Goodguys' Street Rod d'Elegance award winning '35 Ford. The show shipped both of their '35s out. They drove the crap out of their yellow one (a previous finalist for Goodguys Hot Rod of the Year), even in the pouring down rain!

The next day, Wednesday, was the first of the five-day event and the first of three on the road. (I don't have the schedule in front of me here so I don't remember all of the town names etc.) I headed out to the first town, Inglewood, before the caravan of about 300 cars so that I could get set for photographs. The entire town looked like a 1950s small American town decorated for the 4th of July. American flags were EVERYWHERE!

Within 30 minutes everyone in town knew where the American was and the offers of free beer started. It was 10:00 in the morning!

When the cars rolled in they flooded the town and the townspeople flooded the streets. Pretty much every shop had an American related display in their window and had a makeshift vending space on the sidewalk selling everything from American flags to "American" hot dogs to pancakes. This was the same in all seven towns we'd visit during the week.

All along the way, every day, every school had their students at the edge of the highway waving, screaming and waving American flags. Add to that the literally hundreds and hundreds of other people who were in their yards or parked on the side of the road and you get some idea of what it was like. I just can't express the butterflies I had in my stomach for five days. The reception in every town and every point in between was warmer than any I'd ever seen.

The first three days were filled with up to 800 cars DRIVING in a single file caravan from town to town. We stopped at two amazing beaches and passed countless miles of absolutely amazing vegetation. Much of it looked almost prehistoric.

How were the cars? Most were really nice. All were very well maintained because of strict government regulations. Not all were HAMB friendly, but all were driven by truly obsessed owners with TONS of pride in their rides.

Saturday found the 800 entrants taking over the shows hometown of New Plymouth. For me the day was filled, yet again, with friendly faces, American iron and free beer.

The only bummer was the rain on Sunday -the only day that the event charges spectators, so they lost a bunch of potential revenue. The show went on in the wet stuff anyway. Those who went didn't seem to notice.

This is a very condensed version of what will eventually appear in the Gazette, but I just wanted to share my experience with you guys. This was a very elaborate and extremely well organized event.

It was an amazing feeling to feel so proud to be an American for a week with so many political reasons in the world to feel otherwise. Thank you New Zealand!

If you EVER get the chance to go to New Zealand, DO IT!

More info on the show at www.americarna.com

John Rae and my waiting limo, the 1965 Fury giveaway car.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Driving on the "wrong" side of the road was surprisingly easy to get used to.
    [​IMG]

On the outside it looks like an ordinary car but... [​IMG]

...inside tells a different story. Seeing American iron with righthand drive was odd at first.
    [​IMG]

On my first day there we took a few of the cars to an old folks home to brighten their day. They were STOKED!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a photo of a photo of a Willys chassis that a guy built completely from stainless tubing. The craftsmanship was incredible.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A local kid's project for high school. [​IMG]

The first of many Uncle Sams I saw.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KIRK!

KIRK!

The world famous Cody was there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this was an Elvis sighting.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first of two helicopters I got rides in. This one was my first helicopter ride ever. The pilot pulled the doors off so that we could shoot better photos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

I jumped in the closest convertible for the ride through the super-scenic countryside to the next town.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This tunnel has a gravel floor, so they...
    [​IMG]

...carpeted it for the cruise through!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Alstotts leading the cruise in the rain.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Literally EVERY school kid from every school on the way was out to greet us. Too cool!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another Elvis.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

Man, this Starliner sounded sweet.
    [​IMG]

One of my favorite rides there.
    [​IMG]

Am I wrong, or is this Groucho's old ride?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helicopter number two. This 1962 Bell was actually a participant in Americarna. We followed the line of cars all the way to the beach town of Opunake. The pilot definitely did not take it easy on me. It was a BLAST!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the EXIT sign!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, no doors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking good! Geez, what a wreck!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember these guys. You'll see them again.
    [​IMG]

There was another helicopter with a film crew in it. We flew directly under them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later, we flew directly over them!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Opunake beach.
    [​IMG]

We landed in this lady's backyard. She had no idea what was going on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Literal beach-front parking.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just plain bitchin'. I think it was a girl's car.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Gigantor

Gigantor

Looks like my kind of place - were all the people really so nice?
    Thanks for sharing.

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the guys I told you to remember. This was four hours later, and they were still partying on the side of the road!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know this is not a HAMB kind of car, but it was the first time that the Ridler winner was ever driven on the street. Kind of cool to have that happen in New Zealand. Kevin said that he couldn't tell so many nice people no, so he drove it......in the rain!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now this Elvis was good. He was a great impersonator.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Great Stuff.....

12. 60'coupe

60'coupe

WOW KIRK, I remember when America looked like that ! I'm taking the Coupe for a ride down the coast today after looking at these great photos ! THANK YOU KIRK !
    Rob

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep, even Ryan was there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These folks had Elvis renew their vows.
    [​IMG]

Hell yeah! This is the official New Zealand Hot Rod Magazine car.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. nobrakesneeded

nobrakesneeded

some really neat stuff to look at. Funny how NZ has more American pride than most Americans.

One thing that took me by surprise was the old ladys driving through the countryside. Did anyone else spot the inverted Stars and Stripes?

15. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Scene???? Lifestyle???

I think they've got it sussed!!!! :D

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

American made...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miss Americarna, Abra Hilton.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trying to call the winners of the giveaway car.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

There was even a mini air show on Sunday.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The family that won the car.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, there were sheep.
    [​IMG]

The view from my hotel room.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My hotel.
    [​IMG]

We packed up the Alstott's cars on Monday before I hopped a plane home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. devildog101

devildog101

Graet Pics. Thank you for sharing.
    Ed

19. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Great photos, and what a great country! I'd love to visit there some day soon.

20. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

i swear all the 1960 oldsmobiles went overseas haha.

great pix, looks like you all had a blast.

21. WOW!!! awesome pictures,the ariel shots were bad ass,and i love the 32 sedan loaded with surf boards,too cool,thanks KIRK!

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Hey Kirk, that looks like a blast!

I'm getting about half the photos aren't showing up for me. If I right click them they will show up ,but damn, that is a lot of photos!

23. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

Why does the rest of the world try to imitate America (Japan, New Zealand, etc.) but there are Americans here that want a one way ticket away from this great country? I think we need an Americarna here in America!! The part that amazes me is that the whole community(s?) participated, from the schools to the clothing stores. Thanks a ton for the pictures

24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Honest Abe does New Zealand!!

great photo essay

**Best caption**

"Screw the car Dad.....I want her!!!!!!"

[​IMG]

25. KIRK!

KIRK!

I wish we could get this kind of reception in our own country.

The entire Taranaki region was involved. Each town we stopped in and every one in between. John told me this before I went and I took it with a grain of salt. He was absolutely right.

26. Great pictures Kirk..........can't believe the turn out for this gig.......lucky bastard.......cheers!!

27. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Jeez Kirk - Livin like a rockstar

But I don't get why they are all gooney over America? The old cars, sure - I can understand why they dig the cars, but I saw more stars & stripes in this post than I've ever seen on the 4th of July around here.

What a beautiful country they have!

Thanks for the tour

28. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I've been fortunate to travel (for business and fun) all over the world. New Zealand IS the best I've been to. Beautiful scenery, outgoing and hospitable people, NO SNAKES and they like Americans. Ireland is almost on the same plane; I just like NZ best!

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

It is where I will be going on vacation from now on as often as possible.

30. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow, looks like you had an absolute blast!!!