Register now to get rid of these ads!

Insurance company that will insure CHEAP old cars??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luketrash, Mar 1, 2005.

1. luketrash

luketrash

I'm having a delima here... My car is appraised at 3000-3500 dollars, and I want to get CHEAP insurance on it.

State Farm won't carry me on their 48.00/year insurance unless my car is fully restored and appraised at 15-17,000 dollars ??! (it's a fuckin '54 Mainline 4 door)

So they are forcing me into a basic liability policy for 240 bucks/year, which is a ripoff.

I had the car appraised, and now I'm looking for some company to carry me. It's not like I'm even trying to rip them off. If a sliding scale was true, I'd only pay about 12 bucks/year to insure it. I don't get why it's such a fuckin hassle.

Anyway, do any of you know for SURE of anywhere I can insure this thing cheaper than 240 bucks?

Grundy requires the car be worth at least 5k dollars, and I haven't tried Hagerty yet.. but I'm tired of pissing around.. I just want cheap ass insurance on a non-daily driver that is LIABILITY only.. I don't even want to dick them over or anything.. I just want it legal for road use.

Thanks for any help. Underwriters are douche bags...

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

The State Farm agent I spoke with said that i could insure it as an antique, but I'd need an appraisal to get the insured value right, or I could insure it as a regular car for whatever blue book value was. they didn't seem to care what the actual value was. She also said that in lieu of an appraisal I could show them a Bill of Sale showing what I paid for it and that they don't check with the previous owner to make sure that amount is correct.

3. Got my cars insured with Hagerty. My cheapest car is valued at 6k, but they are so cheap, why not just insure it for the minimum ?

4. luketrash

luketrash

$240.00/year is the minimum State Farm will let me get away with, which is their basic liability insurance (seems kind of spendy to me.. I remember paying 8.00/month on an old Volvo I had)

- - -

This totally bites ass. It makes NO sense to me that my liability insurance for my 3000 dollar car is 240 dollars/year and FULL COVERAGE insurance on a 17,000 dollar car is 48.00/year. Absolutely no sense.

- - -

I guess what pisses me off is that she waved this cheap insurance under my nose. Basically it states I can drive the car 3,000 miles/year and have full coverage for an agreed value for 48.00/year... But I guess the car has to appraise out at 12,000 dollars or more.
    ---------------------------------------------

So if any of you have insured a 3000 dollar car for cheaper than 240 bucks, I'm listening :)

The minimum values I'm finding are 5000 to even be carried.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Why don't you get it re-appraised for the amount it needs to be so that it can be insured the cheaper rate????
    Just find either a dealer or appraiser who thinks the car is much more than you paid. :D
    Its as easy as that.
    You know the old saying.. Whats a car worth according to the market???
    What the seller and buyers have been agreeing on.

6. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

you don't know why insurance is a hassle and makes no sense?

cause insurance lobbyist are the most powerful lobbyist in washington. even more powerful than the tobacco or israeli lobbyists.

face it, we take it up the ass as long as lobbyism is legal.

a friend of mine was an underwriter making 45,000 a year at the age of 22 and told me some shit you would not believe, he said he liked having the power to screw with people's lives.

but he even felt so guilty about it he decided to go back to college like me.

7. Slide

Slide

The rules vary from one state to another, but Nationwide has been pretty decent for me to deal with. In both NC and TX, they offered what they call a "pleasure" category for non-daily cars. I can't remember all the details, since my car IS a daily, and I have more than the legal minimum insurance on it. You might give your local Nationwide agent a call. Assuming you have more vehicles, you might see what the package deal would be once you have a multi-car discount. It might be cheaper than your current company plus the 54's new policy put together. They aren't perfect for everybody, but it would be worth a phone call.

8. Again, call Hagerty. They just ask me for stated value, they only require an appraisel if the stated value is above 35k, I believe.
    Call em and find out 1 800 922 4050, it's their dime.

9. jonnycola

jonnycola

I use J.C. Taylor Antique auto insurance for the shit I dont drive too often...

It's 11 dollars a year for liability on my '69 honda N600. I think $40 or $50 for my 36 Chevy Truck. Both are restored.

10. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

My '54 Ford Mainline is $100/yr through Hagerty...that's with a value of $5,000, and I'm 26 with a not-so-perfect record.

My dad uses State Farm on everything else. His '64 Chevy C-10 is like $22/mo but it's not registered as "antique" or anything, YET. Same with my dad's '68 Jeepster, '61 Ranchero, and my 23yr old brother's '66 C-10, and his '75 Monza.

We probably have the most damn cars out of anyone our agent insures. My Dodge Turbo Diesel, My dad's F-250, My mom's '05 Mustang GT, and both my younger brothers '00 S-10 & '01 Sonoma...haha.

11. jdubbya

jdubbya

I was with Hagerty, but they refused my coverage when applying this time, saying that my driving record was bad... was the same on the last vehicle I had, but that is another story. After a suggestion from a friend, I went with Grundy, my rate is $238 a year, and when I registered the vehicle with a historical plate, and sent them the registration, they are refunding $100. (Some Michigan Insurance clause)
    With Hagerty, the rate would have been $279.00, now with Grundy it will be $138.00, and insured for $12,000.

BTW- I am 35, with 5 points on my license.

12. luketrash

luketrash

Did you have to get an appraisal saying your Ford is worth 5000 dollars, or did they just ask you, and you told them that?

I've got 5 vehicles insured through State Farm.. You'd think they would cut me a break on my Mainline. The douche bag agent lives in a MANSION on a hill.. it's not like he's hurting for money or anything. I'm gonna open my car up by his house late some night once I get it insured ELSEwhere ;)

13. JamesG

JamesG

Smith and Wesson.

14. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

15. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

They just asked the value.

State Farm wanted $28/month for liability, I said eff that. I know what you're saying about cutting a deal for multiple cars... My folks have been with the same agent since 1976, and we've got loads of vehicles. You'd figure they'd cut us a break...but I guess they think a $.22 birthday card each year is enough.

16. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Hagerty has always treated me well.

17. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

On the insurance topic, who will deal with people under 25? I'm trying to get classic insurance on my '47 right now. I've got the car in the garage, and all the other bull they give you, but I'm not over 25 so they don't want to touch me. My driving record is fine, and I've got a second car I want on the classic policy too.

18. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I use Barlowe. I'm not 25 either. I pay $140 a year for full coverage for the first car and $60 for each additional. They ask for pictures of the car, that you have a daily driver, you stay under certain mileage (duh the od's broke) and I think that's it. The car gets full coverage and a $5000 whatchamalcallit incase it's stolen or burns down (burns down:D Oh god not again!). They don't check my record either (THANK SMUCK FOR THAT!) and didn't give a hoot about my age (been insured since I was 22).
    xx
    Brandy

19. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

I use AAA and they basically charge me for what the car is, so basically by it's age. My 56 Ford and 39 Dodge are treated as such, being old cars. I'm not sure as to what I pay, but I know it's wicked cheap. Give them a call, it might help.

RRR

20. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Brandy, what's the full name of that? I found Barlow insurance company, Barlow insurance brokerage, ect... I think it's the brokerage one that looks most promising. http://www.kitcar.com/barlow/home.html

21. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Check with JJ Best, they might be able o help you.

22. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

23. luketrash

luketrash

Awesome! I ran a quote and it pulled up $30.00 annually. I'll call them during my break.

24. luketrash

luketrash

I just got off the horn with the gal at American Collector Insurance and she's sending me out the application. They don't require an appraisal, and they don't have a minimum agreed value.

Maximum coverage (liability/comprehensive/collision and zero deductible) for my 3500 dollar Ford is 50.00/year.

Excellent. I have my fingers crossed that this pain in my ass will subside shortly.