Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inside a cast intake manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by r8odecay, Jan 10, 2009.

1. r8odecay

r8odecay

So I'm cleaning up a 61 caddy cast intake that has been sitting in a field for a while. A long while. I've gotten a good deal of sand and scale out of it, and soaking it overnight, and going to run the dremel brand roto rooter thru it in the morning. I am anticipating a pretty quick flash rust, and I want to seal it up clean as soon as I can. I'm thinking of dragging a super lubed up rag thru each runner to coat it up with grease. What other options do you have? Paint or glyptol or naval jelly or what to keep the runners clear and shit out of my motor...thanks!

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Relax - I think you might be over-engineering it. Lots of engines built 70, 80 years or more ago are still running with no protection. Will the passages flash rust? - Yes they will, but the surface rust will actually impede (not stop) further immediate rust. By the time you get coolant with rust-retardent chemicals in there, you won't have any problems.

I took a TON of sand, rust & wire out of my 1963 401 block and cleaned it all out before I rebuilt it. It was apart for at least a year with just a bit of surface rust that I could see. It's been purring away for the last 8 or 9 years with no problems.

3. r8odecay

r8odecay

Thanks for the reply, but over engineering is what I do... and Caddy doesn't have any coolant in the intake manifold. I'm looking to protect my pistons/valves from crap dropping in on them after I assemble this spring, and not clean the parts over and over. What is that oily/waxy crap they use to pack new iron parts in?

4. R Pope

R Pope

You're probably thinking of Cosmoline. You don't want any goo inside the manifold. Even paint will eventually loosen up and go into the engine. Get it clean and install it.

5. Thin some 50 weight motor oil with a small amount of mineral spirits and apply with a rag. The mineral spirits will let the oil flow into the ports nicely and will evaporate in a few hours. When it is ready to run just wipe out the dust and install.

6. David Chandler

David Chandler

Just fog it with rattle can oil now and then, and try to keep it where there isn't a lot of change in tempreture or humidity. I've got an engine built up sitting on an engine stand, that been there for over 2 years. I spray it with WD40 in the intake, and into the exhauts ports, and use true "fogging oil", into the spark plug holes. As far as I can tell it hasn't rusted yet.

7. 41woodie

41woodie

What about Gibbs? supposedly it doesn't trap and attract dust like wd-40

8. 3Mike6

3Mike6

Yeah, you're over thinking it, being too concerned about what "it might be". Just put it under your bed (assume you live indoors?) ;) and it'll be just fine in a few months when you need it.

9. 4tford

4tford

I had mine coated outside and inside at process coatings. It smooths the runners which helps fuel flow for what it is worth.

Attached Files:

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

David Chandler; Please tell me what is " true fogging oil" and where do you get it? Thanks, jim