Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Mexico with a '54 Mercury, '69 GMC C1500, '70 Chevy C10, and many BMW airheads

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Cordless57, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Cordless57

Cordless57

Title says most of it.

My primary reason for being here is sharing information about my '54 Mercury Monterey. I have the unwanted and unpopular 4 door model. It's pretty much rust free from Texas. It has a 256 Y-Block with the MercOmatic automatic tranny. I also have a running 256 Y Block on a stand with the three speed overdrive tranny. I plan to install the manual combo in the car.

So far I have purchased a complete wiring harness and have quite a few parts collected to make the old Mercury a good runner.

I will also be doing some minor work in my two Chevy half ton pickups. This may not the forum for them but I'd like to share occasional tidbits.

2. mikejohn56

mikejohn56

welcome to HAMB,your build sounds interesting . My sister just sold a pair of 54 mercs in Albuquerque on was a 4 door with 8 cylinder auto. The other a 2 door with 8 cylinder manual both Texas cars. post some pictures

3. welcome from the coast of SC, Hobbs was home for a long time

4. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Welcome from Virginia.

5. Cordless57

Cordless57

I bought the four door your sister sold. A local hotrod builder bought both cars, took the parts he wanted for his two door off the four door and sold the remainder to me with both Y Block engines.

What do you know about these cars? I don't know your sister and haven't gotten the complete story on my four door.

I am finding it has quite a bit of rust in the rear seat pans. Time to bring out the MIG and get to it.

6. Welcome from Las Cruces! I had a '56 Merc moredoor for a short time also. Never had any luck with the old mercomatic trans though. That three speed O/D will be a sweet combo.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. mikejohn56

mikejohn56

I thought your car sounded familiar. Don't know too much other than she bought cars out of Texas about 10 yrs ago, the two door was a runner and she wanted to use the 4 door for the auto trans and some misc . parts. She was gonna build the two door as it was the same as the car our dad had when she was younger , i had hopes of taking the 4 door, but living in n.y. and having two projects in the works it wasn't possible. would love to see your progress, i am partial to 4 doors and always hoped to see those cars run again.
    Mike

8. Cordless57

Cordless57

I'll post some photos soon. The two door models seem MUCH more popular and valuable but I like four doors for ease of entry and even for looks.

All I've done so far is remove the seats and clean it up. Theres significant floorpan rust so that is my first thing to repair. I'm going to put the running Y Block in the four door and install the three speed with a floor shifter. I've got all the linkages and pedals for the conversion from the two door.

Since the running Y Block is now out of the car I will clean it and paint it and put a four barrel or even a six pack on it to wake it up a bit. i'm here on HAMB and Ford Barn and other sites to learn what to do and how to do it.

The '54 Y block seems to be a one-off engine. I have to figure out what I can do on it and what it won't take.

This is my first car project in many years. I've been working on old BMW motorcycles for quite a while so I have some shop tools and mechanical know how.

9. slacker1965

slacker1965

welcome! I have a '53 2door post monterey that I am trying to sell for a friend. other than the powerplants, the cars are real similar......any specific questions just PM me or email [email protected]
    good luck w/your project!

10. Hello and welcome to the H.A.M.B.!!!!!