Register now to get rid of these ads!

fabrication of helix out of tubing, how do you do it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jan 14, 2012.

1. oj

oj

Trying to twist tubes? We know it has been a long winter but i think you need a night out with the boys. Fillin greenfield with foam as an experiment is a sure sign that you need a distraction, maybe a book. Just sayin. Don't give up, spring is on its' way and Cabin Fever will have run its' coarse and you'll be just fine.

2. Funny stuff there OJ.
    I need something to copy, now ill have it.
    Maybe ill ship it off to the owner of that sexy bender, see if he can figure out the math.

3. jackalope

jackalope

I think the reason you couldn't get this experiment to lay flat has everything to do with the fact that the "tube" you used is a coil which, when coupled with additional coils creates, you guessed it.....a coil.

Your idea is certainly achievable in my opinion.

If I wanted to achieve this out of standard tubing for, say, a header, I would take a large flat heavy steel plate. Weld the 4 tubes to the plate with a piece of ROUND bar in the center. Then have at least two HUGE rosebud torches going at the same time and concentrate the heat on the pipe (may want to have angle iron welded around the vertical tubes to keep the heat from dissipating). Have a third guy (a.k.a. strong dude) up top twisitng the 4 pieces of tube as you all heat it. I WILL work. If you have a big plate welded up top like the bottom, you could have a long piece of bar for torque if you used a midget!

I want to see the finished product!;)

Grant

4. When I did the sand bend, it ripped the ends apart, I think it was because of the "not being flat thing". I'll pull them out of the pile and grab some pics of that.
    I thought it was strange.

5. There you go !

Attached Files:

6. 26 months in the pressure cooker and 3 hours on the floor.
    Best I could get was 90* rotation.

Attached Files:

7. gas & guns

gas & guns

Can't buy them from epay!

8. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Looks great!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. luke13

luke13

hydroforming?

10. No, not yet.
    If they work like they look , maybe YOU can buy a set from epay in the future. :)

Great idea !!!

180.00 in raw pipe materials
    50.00 in flanges plus 12 hrs into the transition cones and working the flanges
    Estimate 24 hrs total per pair maybe less?
    250.00 ceramic coated.

2 grand ought to cover it on a one off basis.
    Think they will sell? Me neither.