Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1947 oldsmobile 3 speed need expert advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shot Gun Rich, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Shot Gun Rich

Shot Gun Rich

Hi this is my first posting on the hamb finally figured out how to post something.im working on my 47 olds two door business coupe.its a model 66 I found a 47 olds straight 8 for it witch im putting that engine in it & pulling out the six straight both the engines have the hydromatic tranny .I want to put a standard tranny in it .this is where I can use some help from the hambers out there that know more about what its going to take to do this .I have found the original 3 speed standard tranny but still need all the components & pedal. would I be able to put a floor shifter on the original 3 speed or does it have to be the original column shifter . or would it be easier to put a 1950s olds standard tranny with a floor shifter .I want to go with a standard tranny to keep it oldschool & have that original straight pipe rap I have a 51 olds 98 & a 55 olds hardtop 88 both with hydromatics so this 47 I want a stick why not the older the better right I think :rolleyes:

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You better do a intro before the intro police gets their panties in a wad,the 47 trans is basicly the same up to the late 50s and floor shifters are very hard to find for them so if it was mine I would see about adapting a more modern trans to the straight 8. You can go with a T-5 or a 65 and up car 3 speed and keep it on the column.

3. Shot Gun Rich

Shot Gun Rich

I would like to have a floor shift

4. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread, http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149650 , includes a bunch of good info on Olds transmissions and bell housings. From the pictures, it looks like a pretty standard Hurst shifter. With modest fab skills you should be able to adapt a Hurst shifter for another application to your Olds. Mounting brackets and linkage don't look very complicated.

5. Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones
    from Apopka FL.

Seek out a 41 thru 48 olds stick bell housing , flywheel , and clutch. Along with the clutch linkage .
    The tranny should be from a 37 or 38 Olds or Pontiac. They are top-shift and will fit later bellhousings.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

How is the straight eight going to fit? They had a longer wheelbase frame on the straight eight models because the engine compartment is so much longer. It would be easier to put in a V8.

7. Shot Gun Rich

Shot Gun Rich

the 37 to 38 tranny is small in length rt the rear housing looks like for a enclosed drive line

8. Shot Gun Rich

Shot Gun Rich

the 66 & 68 olds models have the same wheelbase length on the 68 model they just removed half of the radiator sheet metal that connects to the hood latch its pretty cool on my 66 they had the radiator support brackets fabed up in the factory for the 8 or 6 so the brackets to move the radiator forword r already there

47Times likes this.
  9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Many years ago I had a 47 Pontiac and I thought it had holes for both the six and eight in the frame and not sure if Olds done the same,I had a 53 Olds that was hit in the rear that had a sweet running 303 and it looked like it would have bolted in the 47 but I traded the 303 for a dirt bike.