Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '39 Ford deluxe coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by b-bob, Jul 17, 2011.

1. b-bob

b-bob

Made some more progress lately, car is very dirty and so is the new glass that i just installed.
    Having a problem with Photobucket, can't get the four lines to appear below picture to copy it. Am i doing something wrong or are they just so busy i can't make contact?
    Anyway, i was able to put the links up for you.
    I try to get a couple hours a day on the car and it shows finally, having fun assembling for a change.

http://s998.photobucket.com/albums/af104/b-bob27/?action=view&current=DSC01162.jpg

http://s998.photobucket.com/albums/af104/b-bob27/?action=view&current=DSC01152.jpg

http://s998.photobucket.com/albums/af104/b-bob27/?action=view&current=DSC01156.jpg

2. woodbox

woodbox

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There you go Bob.

Looking great my friend!

3. forty7ford

forty7ford
    from Iowa

Very nice car, what are your plans for wheels?

4. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Can't wait to see it come together.

I really like the wide whites on black steelies.

5. b-bob

b-bob

These wheels with 46 caps and rings.

Installed a few more small things in the interior and insulated the floor and doors and quarters today.
    Hope to finish up the insulating tomorrow and do the floor mats and maybe the seat base.
    I have med. appointments for Tuesday and Wednesday, so those days won't get much done.

6. b-bob

b-bob

7. b-bob

b-bob

Installed some of the stainless trim, handles.
    I started on the wiring today, but had a slow start. Spent a lot of time just getting organized. Made up a bracket to mount the ignition switch under the dash and mounted the h/light switch in the original cigarette lighter hole.
    Should have a more productive day tomorrow afternoon.

8. b-bob

b-bob

Ran a lot of wire today. Except for the gauges, most of the inside is done and the head and tailight wires are hanging out the ends of the car. engine done also.
    Had a good day.

9. woodbox

woodbox

Well done b-bob! How's the bones holdin up? Lookin after your self?
    Remember...Every job you get done, is one less to be finished.

10. b-bob

b-bob

Have most of the interior in now, have to adjust e-brake tomorrow and a couple other small things and then it come down off the stands and DRIVE it to the lean-to next door so i can sand and paint the inner fenders and the bottom of the hood. Then on to mounting the front sheet metal that is famous for being a "bugger" to do. getting there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. b-bob

b-bob

Doing better these days. Had some nerves "burned off" my spine so the message can't get to the brain. This is done with radio-frequency waves, it heats the nerves to just below the temperature of boiling water. This lasts for two minutes for each nerve and hurts like hell. But his time they drugged me up pretty good and i was not feeling a thing. Anyway, this is a temporary fix because the nerves grow back in 9 to 12 months, and repeat.
    This car has to be put back together and i am too stubborn to give up.

12. Model T1

Model T1

Bob, great job. Sure glad you didn't paint it red. My 39 Deluxe coupe is red with a black interior.
    I've seen a lot of red cars with the tan inside. Love the looks of yours. Mine's been in storage with SBC for around 35 years. Almost time to get back on it. Will need a complete redo. Ya got time?
    Good luck with your back and the car.
    I spent a lot of time today checking a 41 Ford post, a 39 Ford post, and yours. Great to see others think these two cars are worth keeping.
    I've had a near mint 39 4-door with radio, a 2-door, and my 39 Deluxe coupe. Always wanted a 40 Ford deluxe coupe and the 39's seemed to show up. Now I'd rather have my 39! It's got factory air. :D

13. b-bob

b-bob

Today's update. Painted the hood and inner fenders today, give it a few days to dry and the hood goes on along with the rest of the sheetmetal.
    I can now drive it from the shop to the storage lean-to, when i am spraying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

falcongeorge likes this.
  14. b-bob

b-bob

I got the hood and grill on last night. I'll get my wife to help with the fenders tomorrow.
    Want to go for the emissions test in a couple of weeks and get my plates.
    We have had so much rain this spring that i haven't missed having a running car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

falcongeorge likes this.
  15. chopt49

chopt49

just read the entire post and now i am going to go work on my car, thank for the inspiration I needed.

Your '39 looks sooooo darn good. be proud.

16. b-bob

b-bob

Glad i could help.

17. love that color

18. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Wait a minute, your rebuilding a 1939 ford and the laws up there require it to be emission tested?!?!? Is the car titled as a '39, or is titled off of the engine/transmission?

19. b-bob

b-bob

Yes,all vehicles have to pass the emissions test, no matter what the year. But they are more lenient on '70 and older ones. The idle test is the hardest to pass.
    Older cars go on a dyno to test at 40 mph and a idle test. Newer computerized cars are tested through the vehicle's computer to see if all functions are working properly.
    Now they are not testing vehicles untill they are seven years old because they are so clean when new. Just a tax grab. $23.00 to test each time and if you fail you still pay for every test untill it passes.

Yes, it is registered as a 39. The year of the engine is what they go by.

20. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Wow, and I thought that it was tough here in California! Anything 1975 and older no longer require the bi-annual emissions check. Technically, you are required to keep any and all emissions components in place and in working order on vehicles that fall into this category, however most don't as that isn't enforced.

On older vehicles that are re-registered after falling out of the DMV system (usually happens after 8 years of unregistered use) DMV personnel have been known to ask what year the engine is (this is where you don't volunteer that your drive train is any newer than the vehicle itself). If it is newer than 1975 they will require that the vehicle pass emissions testing based on the model year of the engine, not the vessel it's in.

By the way, your '39 is bitchin'! Keep the progress updates coming and best of luck on your recovery.

21. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

see? we suck less!

22. outlaw256

outlaw256

damn, this is first time ive seen this post. i love that ride!!!you have a good thing going on with this car. this si one id love to see in person. keep up the good work my friend.

23. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

just caught this thread and read it from start to finish. i admire your perseverance and determination. the car looks great too!

24. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

25. b-bob

b-bob

Thanks for the kind words, yeah even a stock model A would have to go through.

I am hoping to have the car out and running "bug free" to go to Puyallup in late July.
    Puyallup is a suburb of Seattle for those not near there. About 150 miles south of here down I-5. It should be on the road in a couple of weeks if there are no more problems.
    Going out side now to finish the right hand side, left was done yesterday, so far so good.

26. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

B Bob The car is looking beautiful! Hope to see you in Puyallup. I hop all of your shake down runs go well too.

27. redroaddog

redroaddog

kewl build!!! i dig the photo with the hood angrille but no fenders:D

28. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Bob did you already post the details of the tires and wheels you are using on the 39?If not I would like to know what you are using on the car. They look just right!

29. b-bob

b-bob

The wheels and tires are 185/70 15 with 6" wheels front

235/70 15 with 7" wheels on the back. Rims are Wheel Vintiques.

30. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks Bob ! Keep up the good work! Looks like you are going to make that deadline.