Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm going to try Drag Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R Frederick, Jul 29, 2011.

1. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

no top or side windows means long sleeves required at most tracks, regardless of how fast you go

good for you for racing your car, it's a blast no matter how fast you go, years ago I was at the track with a model A and was making fun of a triumph that was making 17 second passes, an old timer says to me "the slowest car at the track still has a better seat than anyone in the stands", i've made it a point to line all my cars up to the tree.

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Yep, I expect to be slow. We're going for fun, and will take it in stride.

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're fucked. Ya hear? FUCKED!! It 's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!! So why are you fucked? Come back here and tell us. You can answer it yourself. I lived on the drag strip for about 7yrs. 4 of those years were my car, the rest I was on the crew for friends or took my beater musclecars just for test n tune nights. I got out by financial and physical necessity. I ran a 10sec Camaro and it owned me. I didn't care. I lived for a "double O" reaction time and running "on the number". Even then, no guaranteed round win. I busted a .007 light and ran on the number "with a 6", only to lose to a .005 and on the number "with a 5". A losing package of .003. That happened so many times and my reaction was always the same...PISSED!!! I simply put everything away and worked off the anger so I could go help my bros with a happy attitude. And then went back for more...and more...and more...and, well you get it. Now I still wanna race real bad. I'm happy that I can't afford what my true passion is, and that's my legs wrapped around a blown injected Donovan. Lucky me...

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I know, I got out of this 5 years ago. It was eating me alive.
    [​IMG]

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

NHRA tracks around here are very strict. 1/4 mile only and the full safety stuff. All open cars must have an approved cage and 5 point harness regardless of speed. No wire wheels. Correct dates on belts and helmet. Maybe just because it's NJ?

IHRA is a lot more hot rod friendly. Most I've beento have hot rods on an 1/8 mile and race cars on the 1/4 for nostalgia shows. The 1/8 mile safety stuff is very easy. Most street cars can only get to highway speeds or less in the 1/8th.

I Hope your event is at an Ihra or independent track.

6. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Now that looks like fun! Where did you run?

7. Grumbler

Grumbler

Sure, thats the way it ALWAYS starts. A little "fun" is all. No one gets hurt. Uh huh.
    Tell us that in six months from now after you've spent the kids milk money buying that new part that you MUST have to get the rod to hook just a bit more or to shave off that half tenth.
    We've heard it all before. You have a problem sir. No sense being in denial.

8. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

9. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

I think you might be surprised at what that thing is going to run. 13s for sure. I had a 23 T with a 302 that ran 12.8 at 104 first time out! Didnt expect it! And yes, Once you start its hard to stop. The need for speed is very addictive!

10. LZ

LZ

Wicked:
    Here ya go for your ref. Your doing the right things. Keep an eye on your car and be safe. One quick suggestion..........put a fire extinguisher in the car. In reach. The track mat\y want a strap on it.
    Its a sickness :D. good luck
    Have fun
    Luke
    PDF wouldn't attach???:confused: Send me your Email and will send a PDF of the rule book.

11. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Car looks familiar. Been to Peoria a few times. I probably saw you race. How's the new promoter doing?

12. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Please keep us updated. Let us know how you did!

13. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Will do, good or bad. Ordered a mini spool today, should be in the mail tomorrow. So Friday night, I know what I'll be doing.:D

14. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Going to Dragfest at Cordova? Tech may be a little easier than at a bracket show. See you there.

15. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

That's what I heard, not supposed to repeat it in public, and I want to be safe. See you there.:D

16. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You still have to be safe , mind you. I'm just saying they probably won't nit pick every little thing, maybe they will. The last time I raced at Cordova the tech guy didn't even look at my car. I guess he figured if you feel safe enough to drive it there it is safe enough to run. See you tomorrow, be there, be there, be there. Oh wait, unless you are going out to Midnight Madness for the bikini contest and the Db Drags with all of the cool sport compact guys tonight. Nah, didn't think so.

17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Nope, I'll be changing the 3rd member tonight and gathering tools. You taking a car?

18. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh no. unless somebody needs a driver. I actually have to take my son up to the 4H horse show in the morning, drop the trailer, boogie down to Cordova, and hope the inlaws remember to bring their truck to take him and my lovely bride home. I'm a bad dad I know. The show was supposed to be last Thursday and got rained out. He's cool with it as I explained to him that we all need to support this event so it can continue to grow.

19. I would say by the amount of times you got down the track that you might be "fucked" as another poster put it.:D
    [​IMG]

20. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Wicked50Coupe - Thanks so much for coming out - I have some video of you getting off the starting line - so I will hook you up when it gets edited!
    Thanks again

21. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Ha, yes. That little Sum Bitch ran 8 hours straight it seemed. I went in with two drivers. A buddy of mine used to drag race, so I put gas in his truck - he hauled me there and we took turns driving. It was a blast for both of us. I was afraid he'd be bored since his former car was much faster, but he raved all day about how much fun he was having. Heck, my wife was even having a blast - honestly.
    It hovered around 14 seconds all day, which was perfect since I wasn't supposed to run under 14 with no rollbar. Finally cracked a 13.95 on the last run. Car couldn't have handled better, dead straight and hooked the tires into the track. I thought for sure it wouldn't hook with no weight on the back of the car. I kept getting matched up with the "2 Lane Blacktop 55" seen in the pic behind me. That guy probably got sick of seeing me. I'm seeing a roll cage, a larger engine, trailer, and a bank robbery in the near future.:D

22. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

haha awesome. Count me in on that bank robbery

23. Good luck my friend. Im just turning 64 and im getting back into it. Looks like your car is not fast enough for a roll bar or harnesses, but i think that's where i would invest my money. In your own saftey, as i have seen some od things happen at race tracks. To me, to worry takes the fun out of it....That's what it's all about, Have fun. good luck.....

24. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Exactly, it will be getting a cage this winter - even if I don't run any faster. Then I'd be comfortable putting any engine in there I could afford. The car handled perfectly.

25. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you have a lap counter? I swear you were going down the track every time I was watching. Great times hope to do it again next year.

26. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I've heard that a lot. Between two drivers, I don't think the car sat still for over 10 minutes all day. Probably due for an oil change lol.