Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mechanical Help in New York

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Aug 4, 2011.

1. I will have my 1956 Ford w/ a 272 Y Block in New York on the 18th for the Rumblers show. I will need to change my points and tune my carb. Sounds easy right? Well I'm not so great with engines. In return I am willing to give someone a set of four radial white wall tires. Just need someone with mechanical knowledge that can help. Thanks! Also willing to buy a case or two of beer for someone. I really appreciate it. If you know of anyone let me know. I am serious on my offer!

Here are the tires... They look a little dirty in the picture but they tread is still really good...
    [​IMG]
    Also willing to repay in beer if the tires are not good enough...

Here is the motor...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. cederholm

cederholm

Where are you located? I'm no mechanic but I get by. If you have some tuning specs and your in Brooklyn you're welcome to come over.

Feel free to PM me.

Carl

3. LZ

LZ

I will have my 1956 Ford w/ a 272 Y Block in New York on the 18th for the Rumblers show. I will need to change my points and tune my carb. Sounds easy right? Well I'm not so great with engines. In return I am willing to give someone a set of four radial white wall tires. Just need someone with mechanical knowledge that can help. Thanks! Also willing to buy a case or two of beer for someone. I really appreciate it. If you know of anyone let me know. I am serious on my offer!

Hey Dude:
    OK so your post hit an old tickle bone so if I might be so forward.........

Have not moved my Dwell meter in 20 or so years. (think its still on shelf):rolleyes:
    Points are friggen easy and simple. They need changing often if they are not carbide(going way back), can also arc quickly if the condenser goes>
    If you are still running this then you need to get off the wall and get experience in this. Nothing wrong with points they just need tending.
    A few words of advise. Cover the holes in breaker plate with some tissue or something. Absolutely sucks to drop a screw down a slot. If there is one.
    In fact but some cardboard - tape around the Dist. so if when you drop something it stays right there. Y block has dist in back so its a reach.
    Check for point parallelism on contacts and be patient about setting dwell. Just a little gap change changes dwell . Did you know that when you change the gap your Timing changes also??!!
    Hold the points fast at the slot to hold points to breaker plate, when tightening screws. So the gap stays at adjust. Usually effects dwell when tightening points.
    If the old points show arcing your condenser was bad. This is part of kit.
    What the hell am I saying. Do they still make this stuff???:eek:
    Plan on a rotor and cap. Buy the best wires you can(expensive). Yblocks have the long wires along frame-block. Easy short when wet.

I just hit the tip of iceberg. You really should read up on this or get with someone. There is a ton to look at when going through this.
    You say Carb tuneup?? Is there something wrong cause aside from a little screw adjustment your looking at a rebuild.
    One thing that gets overlooked that can cause motor running and tune up issues is that the Base plate wears out. You get a variable vacuum leak around the throttle shaft.
    If you are in Rochester NY area PM me.
    Glad to help you out but when you say tuneup my Sphincter goes up my stomach. Is there a miss, running bad. Could be way more the just a Tune.
    Hopefully the old girl just needs a warmover like you say, tuneup
    Good luck Pal
    see ya
    Luke

4. LZ

LZ

I was reminiscing about this..
    It was actually very work satisfying to do a tune on one of these.
    They usually came in running poorly. You went through them, (rebuilt carb, tuneup etc.) and the ran noticeably better. pretty smooth actually.
    Crap happened to these that newer cars are not prone to.
    The plugs would wear out and cause a weak spark. this also caused the wires to leak more with the higher resistance,
    Old wires sucked big moose junk as they were pretty crap compared to now.
    The cap carbon tracked more.
    Just a weaker spark energy showed little issues more pronounced.

The carbs depending on manufacturer had issues. The newer E10 crap plays havoc on carbs. Especially if not run regularly.
    GM and aftermarket Dist were great to set dwell. Just insert a allen drive through window, run and set dwell.
    Just a hint:
    Spray some carb cleaner or silicone spray around the carb when running. If your Idle moves you have a vacuum leak. You can pinpoint a leak. They cause much grief and are very common.
    Just sayin:p
    thanks
    Luke

5. I would love to meet up with you. Do you have a timing light? I have pretty much everything else. I have all the parts and some tools. Just no timing light. I will P.M. you know.

Hey, I have three sets of points, and a rotor. I am going to buy a new cap, wires, plugs, etc. That stuff I can change myself. It is the point I have a hard time with. I have a special "set screw" screw driver from Craftsman I carry in my tool box for changing points. My car doesn't run bad at all. Maybe just a small turn with the screwdriver. It is not missing or anything now. I have to drive to Ontario, Canada after the show and want my car to run perfectly. I am not sure I will be by Rochester.
    Thanks!

6. Big Nick

Big Nick

Mitch, I am no mechanic by any means either but I also get by, I dont need the tires, the beer does sound good though. But i have tools and space if you need and I can always help and I am sure between a few of us we will figure it out. Points aint that bad, carb shit I am no good at. But you are more than welcome to come by and use what I have. You can shoot me a PM or give me a call (516) 445-8143. I am about 30 miles east of Brooklyn on Long Island. I will be at the show also, on my panhead though since my truck is down. I dont need any payment in return, what I got you can use, dont worry about it.

7. LZ

LZ

Hey, I have three sets of points, and a rotor. I am going to buy a new cap, wires, plugs, etc. That stuff I can change myself. It is the point I have a hard time with. I have a special "set screw" screw driver from Craftsman I carry in my tool box for changing points. My car doesn't run bad at all. Maybe just a small turn with the screwdriver. It is not missing or anything now. I have to drive to Ontario, Canada after the show and want my car to run perfectly. I am not sure I will be by Rochester.
    Thanks!

Just trying to offer some ideas.
    You have to understand. That when someone says something like just change my wires or tune my carb. Having been around awhile that can somtimes mean something else or more . you just end up being the bad guy because of other things that are needed or mentioned.
    Dont take this as a slam to your car, its not. It's beautiful.
    Just be on the lookout is all Im saying.
    And aside from a Timing light you need a dwell meter.
    Your doing the hard work by changing this. You really must have a TL and DM this day and age.
    By a "set screw driver" I assume you replaced the Slotted screws with a socket drive screw. Excellent . Your doing all the hard work, its easy to set your dwell.
    Again do not read into this as bad. Have seen your story many times and just trying to offer up some quick ideas.
    good luck
    Luke