Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Road to Rumble! D/FW to RRR on Rt. 66 Road Trip!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toptinman, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Toptinman

Toptinman

Several times during the day, Tanya mentioned Springfield Underground. When I asked her about it, she said she would show me before she took me back to the motel. This is what she was talking about.

[​IMG]

Huge tunnels have been hollowed out of the solid rock where Kraft, who has a plant in Springfield, and others store their food products in the underground storage. The tunnels are so big that railroad cars can be pulled in and unloaded.

[​IMG]

After being taken back to the motel, I spent the rest of the evening uploading pictures from the last two days. Soon it was lights out on Day 9.

2. Toptinman

Toptinman

Woke up on Day 10 ( today) of the trip in good spirits. This was to be the day that I was supposed to be getting the wagon out of the shop. Spent most of the day catching up the thread. Not that I had any plans beyond that as there was no guarentee that the wagon would be ready. Around mid morning, needing some food in my belly, it was time to make a beeline back over to George's for breakfast. Settled on their special of sausage and eggs.

[​IMG]

Then it was back over to the motel for a few hours of waiting.

[​IMG]

Finally, after not hearing from them and it was nearing five o'clock, I called. The motor is in and running. But there is a slight vibration that they're trying to pinpoint. Said the flywheel might be the cause. They were told if a 302 c.i. flywheel is what's on it, that might be the problem. They have ordered a new 351W flywheel to compare with with the wagon's flywheel. Looks like it should be ready sometime tomorrow for certain. I hope so. I'm needing to do laundry and the laundry mat is too far to walk from the motel and carry a bundle of dirty clothes. More than likely, if the wagon is ready tomorrow, I'll spend one more night in Springfield just to get my laundry done and wash the car. But, for now, plans can be made while eating. Another trip to George's around ten this evening yeilds a roast beef sandwich. (You know it's a dull day when I'm posting what I'm eating rather than what I've seen!)

[​IMG]

Which direction will I head from here? I can't say. St. Louis keeps calling but I need to get back home to have the scheduled a.c. installed before Salina. That show will be here before I know it. But I'm not ready to call it quits just yet. This journey's not over until I pull into my driveway. For now though, I'm putting Day 10 to bed knowling that I've actually caught this thread up for now!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  3. rottenrods

rottenrods

I love this thread!

4. Damn, the new motor was shot too!!?? That sucks! Hope the next motor gets the job done.

Oh.......and if you keep eating like that, you're going to have a heart attack before you get home!!:rolleyes:;):D (looks good though!):)

5. Are you on the road ? Was the flywheel the vib fix ??

6. TexasDart

TexasDart

Well at least you are meeting some cool people. By the way the 66 association president was driving a 66 Barracuda. :) The 66s have the square front end.
    Now back to taking pictures of food. What's for lunch?

7. Toptinman

Toptinman

The beginning of Day 11 found me back in my usual position watching a movie awaiting that phone call from the garage with a report on the wagon.

[​IMG]

A little before one, I walked back down to Daytona's to see how it was going. They had determined that the wagon did have the correct flywheel but that, according to the books, the old engine had a 351C harmonic balancer and not a 351W. They had gotten the correct balancer to put on but hadn't yet done so when I was there. Said he would know by about closing time that day what the story was.

Mean while, back at the motel . . . . .

[​IMG]

Around five-thirty, the call came. With the new balancer on, it still was running rough. Seemed like it wasn't hitting on #4 & #7 cylinders while idling but seemed ok at throttle. Had already swapped the distributor cap but that didn't help. Thinking it might just be the distributor itself. Will be in the a.m. the next day before can go any further.
    So, I settled back in . . . . .

[​IMG]

Since I hadn't eaten all day, and deciding to take 'Ol 55's advice concerning my food intake, I opted for the salad bar that evening. Nothing exciting. Nothing worth a picture.
    After my dinner salad, I mosied back over to the motel where I put the lid on Day 11 of my adventure. Tonight marks my eighth night in room 411 at the Rail Haven.

[​IMG]

8. Toptinman

Toptinman

Day 12 (Today) found me sleeping in. Not much to do until I hear from the shop.

[​IMG]

Finally, the call came! "Are you ready to leave Springfield?" was asked of me first thing. "I don't know. I'm begining to like it here," I respond. The wagon was ready. Purring like a kitten, they said. I get ready and walk down to the shop. Between the motel and the shop, I spotted this clean little pickup parked in a church parking lot. I only had my cell phone handy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I get to Daytona's, it's all smiles from everyone. Seems the #4 & #7 issue was that the PCV valve line had been hooked to a fitting on the intake and not the base of the carb. They didn't catch it when disconnecting from the old engine to swap over to the new. This connection had been done at one of the stops along the trip when trying to diagnose the earlier issue. It was leaning out the #4 & #7 pistons. It was running great now and I was happy. They'd also replaced the distributor as the shaft had too much play for them. So, basically, other than the carb, intake, oil pan, alternater & starter, I've got a whole new heartbeat. James, the mechanic, and I hop in for a test drive. It feels great! We get back to the shop, they wash the wagon while I do the paperwork and I go back to the motel.
    Finally, the shot I've been waiting to see!

[​IMG]

The decision was made to spend one more night in Springfield. I have to do some laundry. This being Day 12, I only packed enough for a ten day trip and I'm still a few days from being home. There's still a couple of things I want to check out in Springfield before I leave anyway. Looks like I'll have to head back home from here. I've decided to take the Route back and see what she allows me to see on the return trip. She's been pretty generous this far and I'm grateful. I'm planing to be home sometime on the 4th. Maybe. I've already learned on this trip that plans aren't always kept!
    More to follow!

9. scrubba

scrubba

Tinman, this thread along with ya'alls previous story deserves a book . I'm dead serious . You folks have done a kick ass job documenting these trips . scrubba

10. bt34

bt34

Tinman
    This thread along with your previous exploit(s??) is well worth turning into a book..
    Check it out on your next motel layover or when back home
    cheers bt

11. What an adventure. Thanks for the pictures

12. Toptinman

Toptinman

Now that I had the wagon back, and before I settled in to doing domestic chores like laundry, I drove around Springfield to visit some of the photo ops that Tanya had shown me earlier in the week when I didn't have my camera.
    Of course, one of the first sights that I visited was the Rest Haven Court during the day for a photo op with the wagon.

[​IMG]

Here are some of the Rest Haven units.

[​IMG]

Then, it was off to take in the old Lurvey's Court. Only the cabins remain.

[​IMG]

The days of welcoming guest are long gone now.

[​IMG]

Just a few hundred feet west of the Lurvey's Courts was the Holiday Drive-in Theater.

[​IMG]

All that remains of the Holiday Theater is the sign. The screen and projection booth were torn down only recently.

[​IMG]

My next POI (point of interest) was not on the Route but was the old Jefferson St. Bridge. It was built in 1902 for the sole purpose of allowing residents to cross the nearby railroad tracks safely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the great things about driving an old car is the people that are drawn to it. While shooting the Jefferson St. bridge, this guy walks over to take a gander at the wagon. In talking to him, he offers that he's from Southern California and then shows me some tattoos on his legs. On the left leg was "So" and the right leg was "Cal" to prove his loyality to SoCal. Then, without encouragement, he proudly displayed his other tattoos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I let out a sigh of relief that there wasn't a MS 13 tattoo!

[​IMG]

After this exhibition of sidewalk art, I looked over and saw this cool old ghost sign.

[​IMG]

Route 66 is known for many things but one of the lesser known facts about the Route is it's forest of bottle trees. I spotted this one with it's cobalt blue fruit ripening in the sun.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  13. Toptinman

Toptinman

Also in downtown Springfield I saw this old hotel.

[​IMG]

Seeing as how people were coming in and out of it, I allowed myself to explore it a little. Seems that it was built in 1928 and is now used to house the homeless.

[​IMG]

This clock looked original to the place.

[​IMG]

After leaving the homeless shelter (and after having just spent the week feeling much like one myself), I took what I thought to be a short cut back over to Route 66. It turned out to be a good choice because in doing so I happened upon this old gas station on Division St. (Not on Rt. 66)

[​IMG]

Just beyond the station in this shot you can see the old ramps which, obviously in later years, had an overhead canopy added.

[​IMG]

14. Toptinman

Toptinman

Once back on the Route (which is the old 1926-1935 alingment through the city), one will find this long wall decorated with mosaic tiles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Further east towards the square on Route 66 lay the Melinda Courts.

[​IMG]

Originally called the Rock Fountain Court (1947), they now serve as apartments and are still in remarkable condition.

[​IMG]

The old office sign caught my attention in that the neon tubing is still in place; even the fragile upper tubing extending out past the arrow.

[​IMG]

The more shady Shamrock Place obviously has seen better times. I wasn't able to dig up any history on this place but it's another one of Springfield's old motels from the past.

[​IMG]

Early Route 66 travelers once checked into their room in this old motel office.

[​IMG]

The Mother Road hasn't been kind to all of those who depend on her.

[​IMG]

Only fate resides in the Shamrock Place now.

[​IMG]

Some people never left the seventies.

[​IMG]

15. Toptinman

Toptinman

This old cafe was the first combination cafe & gas staton in Springfield.

[​IMG]

A cafe has always occupied this building. Today it's the College St.Cafe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spotted this old tall T coupe astraddle an old gas pump island at a now closed station.

[​IMG]

I noticed it had current Missouri state tags!

[​IMG]

Don't ever get Marty Feldman to adjust your headlights!

[​IMG]

16. Toptinman

Toptinman

It's Route 66 By The Way! Actually, it stands for Bud's Tire & Wheel.

[​IMG]

I'd like to have this hanging in my garage!

[​IMG]

Bud's was closed when I was there but he apparently appreciates early iron and the fact that he's on Route 66 with these murals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After shooting the murals at Bud's, I headed over to the laundry mat and washed enough clothes to not offend those that I might meet the rest of the trip. Then, it was back to my now familiar Rail Haven motel room where I entertained myself late into the night by catching up this thread. As I was just about to wrap things up and call Day 12 a done deal, it occured to me, "Damnit, there's a Hooters in this town!"

17. stronga

stronga

In spite of your troubles, I've enjoyed this thread, as well as the one to Vegas. I'm glad the wagon is running. Have a safe trip home.

If you are in town why don't you stop by Keller's Drive In on the 8th.

The Dallas Classic Chevys is hosting a gathering Friday evening July 8th, to celebrate the 2nd Annual National Collector Car Appreciation Day with a Cruise Night from 7-10PM at the legendary Keller's Drive In on Northwest Highway (just east of Central Expressway) in Dallas, open to all makes and models of 'Collector Cars.

Alan

18. This has been some of the best "quality" time I've spent on the 'net lately. Nice job with the photos. A few of them have given me flashbacks to scenes from the movies Rain Man and Sling Blade.

And you even got a shot of the I.D. tag on an old Tokheim gas pump, built here in my hometown. Ain't any more, of course, but Tokheim used to be one of the "big deal" employers in Ft. Wayne.

Thanks for takin' us all along on your trip! :cool:

19. churchboy

churchboy

WOW! What a great trip. I've always wanted to do Rt 66. Maybe someday. Sorry for your car troubles, sounds like my luck. I went on two different runs one summer and blew out the front transmission seal both times. Thanks for taking us along.

20. Toptinman

Toptinman

Update. Since I didn't check in to the motel here in Vinita, OK. until around 9:30 and, being as I have upwards of three hundred photos to sort through before I can up load them, I won't be posting any pictures tonight. It was a hot day. I'm beat, tired, sleepy, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I had a really good day today as far as seeing some cool stuff. I'm anxious to post today's activities but, seeing as I will probably get home sometime tomorrow, I will probably wait until tomorrow or the 4th. Check back tomorrow evening.
    Oh, and the wagon did good today. No issues whatsoever. Feels good to have 'er back with me! The wagon & I are backtracking, doing the Route back to OKC. I know that I've missed some stuff. Gonna catch 'em on the flip flop.
    See ya tomorrow!

21. Toptinman

Toptinman

Update. I'm home, having pulled in the driveway around 10:30 tonight. I was expecting to get home a lot earlier than that and play catch up on this thread but, honestly, I can't see that happening until in the morning. Sorry, guys but the real reason I'm late is because of all that I squeezed in today. Wait'll you see it all! I had a blast! The whole trip, all fourteen days of it, was a blast actually!! Even with the wagon failure. Hated to have missed the Rumble though. That was really the only disappointment of the trip and that's including the engine issues!
    Anyway, I'll catch you guys up some in the morning.

22. AllenK

AllenK

This thread has been awesome!

Keller's rules also.

23. Toptinman

Toptinman

When I woke up on Day 13 of the trip, I was ready to go. I had already packed the wagon the night before, so it just meant a quick shower and I was gone. I closed the door to room 411 for the final time and hit the road.
    But before leaving Springfield, there were a few things that I wanted to eyeball first. One of them was Stans Motor Service Garage. Love the old building and sign a little past seven.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, I headed back over to the old Rancho Courts. They were formerly the Trail's End Cabins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Rancho Courts actually actually took up the south east & south west corners of an intersection. There were quite a number of the old cabins. They're now rented out as low end housing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the glass blocks embedded in the porch column. Nice touch.

[​IMG]

Then, just around the corner was the old Glenstone Cottage Courts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I liked their office sign.

[​IMG]

The facade of the old Solo Cup factory offers this giant Solo cup as the world's largest. The factory sported a For Sale sign in front.

[​IMG]

24. Toptinman

Toptinman

Then I'd decided to grab some breakfast before heading back out of Springfield, so I went back on over to the College Street Cafe where I'd taken their picture the day before.

[​IMG]

The College Street Cafe truly is a mom & pop cafe where the waitress calls you "Hon" when asking what you'd like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After eating, it was while backing out of my parking space that I noticed fresh antifreeze on the ground. After popping the hood, I saw that a rubber plug that the mechanic had used to plug the heater hose nipple on the water pump had split under presssure. I thought about just finding a parts store and replacing it but decided Daytona's would have the everything to fix it with as well as the antifreeze to replace what I'd lost. So, I made a bee line back over to their shop. At this rate, I might make Joplin by nightfall!

[​IMG]

25. Toptinman

Toptinman

It didn't take 'em no time to have the wagon back on the road, but because I'd taken a different route back from Daytona's, it allowed me to spot this old building. I'd sure like to know what it used to house. Maybe an old dealership?

[​IMG]

Check out the age of this old bus and plane. I'm thinking that the building was built in the early thirties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whatever this building used to be, it sure had some cool touches added.

[​IMG]

While headed back out of town and before getting back on the Route, I came upon this old station from back when "service" actually used to be offered.

[​IMG]

Back on Route 66 west of the downtown area, I crossed over this old bridge built in 1934 to carry traffic over Jordan Creek.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. scrubba

scrubba

This thread CONTINUES to amaze me !!!!!!!! scrubba

27. Toptinman

Toptinman

Entering Phelps, MO., I couldn't help but notice this old gas station.

[​IMG]

I later found out that the old sign once read "Bill's Station".

[​IMG]

The nearby garage used to house the old oil change pit. The garage is collapsing in on itself now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After leaving the station, an "Obsolete Parts" and a Vintage Air sign caught my eye on this old building. Naturally, I had to stop and investigate.

[​IMG]

What I found when I went inside is a new business called KC Obsolete Parts. Their specialty is '42 - '79 Ford pickups. Reggi & Leslie Carpenter were glad to share with me the history of the building, their new business and the Town of Phelps itself.

[​IMG]

Seems that Pretty Boy Floyd once rented the upstairs room (that would be the window on the left above the porch) so that he could keep an eye out for the law on the highway below.
    While renovating the interior for their business, they found this old candy carton being used to shim a door frame.

[​IMG]

It seems that everything across from the Carpenter's store, including an old gas station and gereral store, was wiped out when Rt. 66 was widened due to a new bridge alignment. Some of the locals have submitted copies of photos of Phelps from back in the day. I liked this one.

[​IMG]

They also had an old picture of school kids posing beside the old school which still stands today beside the Route.

[​IMG]

28. Toptinman

Toptinman

I missed this the first time through because I'd taken the early alignment of the Route just east of Carthage, MO. It's known as the "Crapduster". Built in 1997 by artist & sculptor, Lowell Davis, it's a manure spreader with biplane wings. More on Lowell Davis later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kool to see that you made it back home. I've said many prayers for ya and I hated to
    see your problems that you ran into. I appreciate you keeping the post alive, I enjoyed
    reading it your daily. Still going to be able to make Salina? If so. we will look forward to
    seeing ya again.

Happy Trails, Mick

30. Toptinman

Toptinman

Before I go any further, I have to tell you to make a side trip to Red Oak ll if you find yourself in the carthage, MO. area. Created by the beforementioned Lowell Davis, it's truly a trip back in time with a whimsical twist thrown in for good measure. Lowell, who once was the cover illustrator for the truck stop magazine, Sex to Sexty, bought a cornfield and started buying up and moving in old buildings to created this "township". As there is a Red Oak not far from Carthage, Lowell named his burb "Red Oak ll".

[​IMG]

It has everything from a school . . . . . . . . .

[​IMG]

. . . . . . to a church where this couple were getting married while I was there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And don't forget the cemetary beside the church!

[​IMG]

A couple of old gas stations. The white one was just recently moved from up by Avilla, MO. on the Route to here and restored. I'd seen it in it's original location on a previous trip and was glad that it's been saved. It's an original Rt. 66 station.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How about this U. S. flag made from old license plates?

[​IMG]