Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods **FOOSE P-32 Roadster >> Have you Studied the Steering??**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Sep 4, 2010.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Don`t shoot the messenger-- But I heard from a reliable source that the the steering is backwards. Turn left to go right, ect... This guy has gotten tired of pushing this thing in and out of trailers at indoor car shows. Correct me if I`m wrong. But this is what I`ve Heard. Don`t shoot the messenger. OR JUST DELETE THIS MESSAGE if it`s wrong.

2. Fenders

Fenders

What 5foot2 said.
    The QIA in Quartzsite Arizona has a tractor that has the same steering geometry.
    Nicely done by Foose, but not a new idea.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

We won't shoot you, we'll just laugh our asses off at you instead. Just the thought of Foose building something that way is totally stupid. The man is an automotive artist and an impecable designer - craftsman.

Not some sort of hack artist :rolleyes:

If it didn't work right he wouldn't build it,and he certainly would not build a non driveable car.

Sergeant82d likes this.
  4. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Sooooo Bad Ass! Thats what kind of stuff you can come up with when you get paid big bucks for building hotrods every day.

5. The article in Street Rodder has a nice diagram that shows you not not listen to "reliable sources":rolleyes:

It is as Bass says and as simple as a control line model plane

6. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

Harry Miller did it in 1917.
    [​IMG]

7. I think the thing I like the most about this set up is the symmetry. Very clean.

8. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Anyone have any unanswered questions about the car? I'll be speaking to Chip on Saturday, and will ask for you. Personally, I love it. I wouldn't want to try to replicate it or anything, but doing a '32 Ford and doing it different (without F'ing it up) is tough to do.

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I would not say or do anything to discredit the man (Chip). My source is reliable. He`s been in many magazines with cars he`s owned and still owns. Tried today, but couldn`t get ahold of him. It must of been the first year it was tour with the ISCA circit. Preseason glitches that weren`t worked out with timming schedules( I`m guessing). We`ve all run into those. Looks like it all works fine now. Congradulations to Nick for pointing the steering out to us. Changes like this go un-noticed by the majority of the people. It`s a good lookin car that deserves all the attention it gets.

10. Nicker, I looked through all the SRM's I could find and could not find the article. I went on their site and searched p-32 and it came up twice. They talk about the steering system but don't show any pics! AArgh!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Haha :) ..oh, trust me, this isn't anything I'm going to try on my roadster, just thought the design was very interesting and cool.
    Thanks for some of the photos!

Thanks for the description, Brian! I've studied the under-side photos for a while and can see how everything works... like you said, really pretty simple. I think the hardest part would be getting all of the ratios right.

Thanks for the video link! Was cool to hear Chip talk about the car and see/hear it in motion.

Cool, thanks for checking, Mike! That pickup of yours sure is turning out nice!!

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pictures are worth a thousand words... Did some quick CAD work based on the pictures to better explain what's already been said by Bass and everyone else...

This is obviously not quite right. The ratios on the bell cranks are wrong and the lengths of the steering shafts are probably way longer, but it shows the key components of what's going on with the steering on the P-32.

Steering box turns a pitman arm -> which pushes a drag link -> that pushes a bell crank -> which pushes the cross shaft -> which pushes the other bell crank -> both bell cranks are pushing the steering shafts -> steering shafts turn the spindles and turn the car.

The cone shapes on the cross shaft are used to prevent the bell cranks from moving to far, thus moving the wheels too far.

It's a brilliant set up! But what would you expect from such a builder...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

Awesome!!! Scott, you talented mofo! :D

It's no wonder there's a coolness-rating based on your mug!

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow, Scott! You rule, man... Thanks a ton for taking the time to draw that up!! :)

It certainly helps visually explain what's going on. Like we both mentioned, I think the ratios would be the toughest part to figure out. VERY cool setup, for sure.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

pretty F-ing awesome..I like how the brake lines are run inside the bones too

16. Me too.

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, played around with it a little so you guys could see what goes on while it works...

AGAIN... ratios are probably not perfect.

Straight...

[​IMG]

Left...

[​IMG]

Right...

[​IMG]

18. Ok , now you're just showing off Scooter!

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! Naw... I spent all that time drawing that up, figured I might as well get the point across. :rolleyes: I'm done. Point made, I think. Mostly I did that to see how sensitive it is. It certainly doesn't take much to turn those wheels! I bet that thing is a BLAST to drive!

20. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Holy shit, nice work scooter! Thanks much, now I get it.

Can you please animate those drawings now? :D

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks!

Oh man! I REALLY wish I had the animator for my SolidWorks software. I only have the basic version, so it doesn't include the animator on my version. That would be perfect if it did!

22. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I saw this Rod in his shop on a trip to L.A. Up on a rack he had a pair of what looked like 500Lb. bombs, and his illustration of how he planned to use them as gas tanks under the body. don't know if they ever made it there. I read he designed this steering so he could get the Lincoln V-12 to sit low enough without a drag link...
    I wanted a T-shirt, so I walked into the small room next to the shop thinking it was a showroom for his wares. Turned out to be Chips office, with his art covering the walls. I was too dumbfounded to take more than a couple pictures. If I would have thought about using my video camera, you'd have seen it on Youtube...DANG

23. gas pumper

gas pumper

Scooter. Think of the pivots of the bellcranks as the spindles. Then the tie rod mounting on the bellcranks needs to be brought to the center a little to get Ackerman. Keep the radius dimension from center bolt to pin the same on the links going to the spindle arms and tierod. Right?

24. Clark

Clark

Kopperkart....look at the Miller car a little closer. There's a tierod in there. My guess is the second draglink is for a steering dampener. I've seen one or two cars like this.
    Clark

25. MG did this in the R-Type in 1935. Steering was by a unique Bishop-Cam gear which employed two connected worm gears, one right hand and the other left hand, which relayed movement of the steering wheel to right and left-hand front wheel independently:

[​IMG]

26. Clark

Clark

251 garage...thank you for that info. I've been thinking about something like this but the ackerman is bothering me. I think the wheels would turn the same no matter what. On a tierod set up the outer wheel turns less than the inner.
    Clark

27. hasty

hasty

Really interesting thread. Those drawings are super helpful - and a very generous thing to do for the rest of us - thank you.

28. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

Similiar steering is on some of my r/c cars. Works well when set up correctly.