Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 10-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #81
26Tudor

Location: Northern California, where the Redwoods meet the sea
Default Re: Memories Of Whittier Blvd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy Dehoux View Post
Hot Rod Don

Maybe we know each other. I use to be the guy behind Nabisco in the late 70's and 80's with the friend by the name of Dyno Don we were the two guys starting the races with our flash lights at the starting line we are to this day very into the VW scene. We would race after we had a VW ralleys on Saturday evening and afterwards go street racing behind Nabisco which is no longer standing. I am sure that you know who I am. I use to cruise Tweedy blvd in South Gate from 1968 0n until they stopped it. Than I would go down to Bellflower blvd cruising between Alondra and the hamburger joint turn around and start all over. Later we would go to Whittier blvd and cruise at Bob Big Boy. Later we also cruised at Johnny's Broiler on Firestone in Downey ( Harveys ) I was there the last time they told us they were closing down the drive in. A lot of good memories all around. I am planning to bring my 1932 Hot Rod Lincoln to the grand opening of Harvey's broiler. Before we moved to Tempe AZ I drove a 1941 Lincoln Zephyr at Harvey's and Frisco burgers on Woodruff in Downey

Thanks for the great post
Frenchy Dehoux ( Doc Detail )
Frenchy, remember all the DKP 1 guys, Fleming and Aronson? Zavala? The Berg "Berglar" blue car? Spoke McClendon?
Dyno Chamberlin had the Notchback back then, didn't he?
I think even your PHX neighbor, and former PHX Bugorama promotor, Rick Mortensen, was behind Nabisco playin' around back then, wasn't he?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #82
jamesgr81
Grenade Inspector

Now that I think about it...Does anybody remember the other crusing spots?

Tweedy Blvd. in South Gate
Redondo Beach over by the pier and behind Edison Steam Plant.
Even Beach Blvd. down by Knotts Berry Farm.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #83
Bud
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmerc View Post
what did you cruise? mount Vernon or magnolia
Isn't your question supposed to read Market or E Street? I know after the P.D. shut down Market, people moved onto Magnolia, I never heard of folks cruising Mt. Vernon?
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-29-2009, 02:21 AM   #84
MistGreen50
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlzruf View Post
I grew up on 3rd st and whittier blvd.I rememeber sitting infront of sams liquor and seeing all the fine babes riding in cars.I remeber seeing a big fight at the garmar theatre when they showed blvd nights. Does anybody remember the drive thru mortuary acroos the st from the ford dealer on whittier?It was used in a movie?
3rd and Whittier does not cross from what I remember
Old 05-17-2010, 11:56 PM   #85
Grenade Inspector

o yes happy days start going in 1975 in my borther 69 z28 its was bumper to bumper in 76 in 77 i had a green datsun with a small block chevy shut down lots of cars scotys was 4 the fast guys and bobs was kind of the older rod guys seems like yesterday
Old 05-18-2010, 12:22 AM   #86
wood470
Grenade Inspector

Used to cruise the Blvd. in the sixties.Muscle cars were just comin out and not too many guys could afford them. Lots of Hot Rods,50 Fords and Chevy"s with any thing you could find in em. Buicks, Olds< and always small block Chevy's. Tom McMullens 32 Roadster was the hottest thing around most of the time. Even saw him pop the chute right in front of Bob s about 1 in the morning one night. Marvin Miller had a little Anglia with a 409 that was pretty darn fast . I can remember caravan s to Harvey s Broiler to see what kind of trouble we could get into. A cop named Harry Bach was often directing traffic for the first part of nite then bustin up parties till dawn. We all got drafted to high or married in the summer o love 1969, and it never was the same. Anybody else get to be there?
Old 05-18-2010, 12:43 AM   #87
GaryB
Alliance Member

lakewood high 1969.. cruised whitter blvd ,bellflower blvd pretty much had a good time every where we went had a 56 210 sb 4spd nice car . the racing, girls,parties. I think you'd really haved to been there.awsome days,it's all true
Old 05-18-2010, 01:44 AM   #88
26Tudor

Location: Northern California, where the Redwoods meet the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
I remember the Mini-truck store and the Auto Haus. Isn't there a Tommy Burgers there now?
I raced many cars on the Blvd. Never got beat! Close a few times...Raced a 69 Camaro one night on Lambert and he crashed into oncoming traffic! That was the last time I took my VW there. I read about it in the paper. I guess he broke an axle and it turned his car left. I don't remember if anyone got hurt or not.
I saw Augie at the LARS,that drove a red Austin Healy,that was done like a Cobra. SBC was in it,I think...He has a silver,Nova Gasser now.
Bob, I think the driver of the VW was a guy named "Spoke" Mac Clendon, and his injuries were fatal.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #89
banditomerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Bandido View Post
Damn those were the days. I remember cruising from Garfield High all the way to Whitter Blvd and the 605. Good times. That was the mini truck and VW bug era in the mid 80s. That's when the laa-dees sported the big Aqua Net hair dos, lol.
I think you have your decades mixed up..aqua net on rukas was '60's-'70's
Old 06-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #90
Jim Stabe
Grenade Inspector

I'm surprised nobody is old enough to remember Whirly's Drive In on the South side of the blvd down towards Greenleaf. It was the the place to find a race and there were some really fast, barely steetable cars that hung out there. I grew up in La Habra just east of Whittier. I got my license in '61 and it closed up shortly after that I believe. Most of my cruise time was spent at Bob's. You would sit in line for an hour just to cruise through and then turn right ang go aroung the block through a residential neighborhood, and get back in line. Probably the most notable car in the area was Tom McMullen's blown roadster and he would show up once in a while. There were always the 426 Mopars, 409 Chevy's, 406/427 Fords overheating in line. You had to have a good battery because you couldn't leave the car running or it would overheat. Another memory was walking home from high school before I got my license and seeing Rich Siroonian in his '59 Impala 348 (and later '61 Corvette FI) go through the gears toward Hacienda Blvd after picking up his girlfriend at La Habra High. The '61 Vette eventually became the John Mazmanian (Rich's uncle) blown gasser.

Times were good back then
Old 06-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #91
hotroddon
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Tudor View Post
Frenchy, remember all the DKP 1 guys, Fleming and Aronson? Zavala? The Berg "Berglar" blue car? Spoke McClendon?
Dyno Chamberlin had the Notchback back then, didn't he?
I think even your PHX neighbor, and former PHX Bugorama promotor, Rick Mortensen, was behind Nabisco playin' around back then, wasn't he?
I knew many of the DKP guys back then. Fleming, Aronson and Thurber (FAT Performace). John Lazenby (Now owns Royze), Ed Craig, Mike Ahlstrom all worked at Auto Haus with me along with Doug Mische (DKP II) I also knew Roger Graco, Mike Martinez, Keith Goss, The other Dyno Don (Chamberlin), Roger Crawford, Bill Rogers and many others I can't remember aymore It was the hay day of the Cal Look scene for sure.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #92
lino
FNG

I grew up in the east Whittier-La Habra area. Right up the street from Stick City. Spent hours there as a kid looking at the cars.
Spent quite a few nights cruising Whitter blvd on both sides of the bridge.
For all the action its strange there are so few pictures. Like others have said-too busy enjoying the moment to even think about recording it.
Great memories of summer nights-
Old 06-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #93
Ron Nichols
FNG

I was cruzing Whitter Blvd in the 60's in my 1936 Ford Coupe (I was in High School at Sierra High). Bobs Big Boy was the hot spot, along with Harvies in Belflower (I think). Lots of good times.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #94
jcmarz
Old School HAMBer

My parents moved from La Mirada to Whittier in 1968. We lived in a corner house on Armley and Lambert. I went to Mulberry, Hillview, and CalHi. My sister used to work at Bob's and I remember it was a big place, bigger then the Bobs in Downey. Too bad it's not there anymore. I remember a bunch of guys hanging out at Norms and the pool hall across from Music +. There also used to be a Pep Boys at the corner, once upon a time.Like the song says:"Let's take a trip down Whittier BlVD!"

Last edited by jcmarz; 06-24-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #95
Ichiban43
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
Word on the streets is the 605 Freeway was the divider seperating the Hot Rodders from the Lowriders, Whittier side of the freeway was for the Hot Rodders. And the Opposite side (East LA, Montebello & Pico Rivera) was for the cruisers. my grandparents house is in Pico Rivera right off of Whittier Blvd and Paramount A.K.A. "JARDIN". the lowriders used to cruise through the neighborhood to get back onto Whittier Blvd. because of the barracades not allowing you to cruise the strip. Ahhh i love the sound of cherry bombs!!
You are so correct. I started cruising the Blvd in the very late 50's and the 605 wasn't there--but Pioneer Blvd was pretty much the dividing line-same local--they weren't referred to as lo riders back then. Bob's was just going in and Whorley's was the cruise joint. Oh what memories!!! My wife & I graduated from WHS in '61.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #96
pokesmot
FNG

Does anyone from Whittier remember a guy by the name of Barefoot Gary?..
Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #97
55kustomzombie
FNG

I lived in whittier for a while, oh how I wish I could have been alive in those days.

Just reading all these stories makes me wish my parents had conceive me 20 years earlier haha
Old 07-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #98
Rice n Beans Garage

If you want to archive your history check out this site

countyofangels.com

Scott @ "Rice n Beans Garage"
Formerly S&S Garage
Old 07-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #99
srt
FNG

I started cruising the Blvd in the middle '60's with a '55 Chevy 210 wagon during HS.

Lots of detroit muscle. not too many (if any) foreign cars or even VW's at that time.

I was working at Ak Millers in 71 & stuck a turbo on a 71 Pinto, dark green, that made mine one of probably less than 1/2 dozen in so-cal at the time.

My 1st night with the car was on a Friday at about 10pm straight from the garage and at the light at Painter & Whittier headed east. Next to me was a Road Runner with a bunch of yahoos that had more money than brains.

I didn't even have the hood back on the car they were gettin a load of laughs out of the Pinto! Had only finished the car about 1/2 hr earlier.

Took them by 1 car at the far side of the intersection. What a rush

Small car big horsepower & lookin like a sleeper was great.

Bobs was the place then & from Greenleaf to Colima was the territory and it was CROWDED.

re others on the street: didn't Rich Siroonian have a roadster named the Animal?

took a lot of guys by surprise back then with the car. the best was a series thru several lights one ofter the other starting at gunn ave. headed east with a couple of corvettes. both BB's. took them 3 in a row but fried the motor.

local racing for money for me was in buena park somewhere behind a FMC distribution center. took a race from a guy in a BB chevelle for 5 big ones but my "handlers" had to collect at the point of a gun. I didn't do that again.

Hey Limeworks; bakc then a camera wasn't in the mix. It was go fast 1st & last

a very cool decade in history
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1974.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1379889  
Old 07-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #100
srt
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stabe View Post
I'm surprised nobody is old enough to remember Whirly's Drive In on the South side of the blvd down towards Greenleaf. It was the the place to find a race and there were some really fast, barely steetable cars that hung out there. I grew up in La Habra just east of Whittier. I got my license in '61 and it closed up shortly after that I believe. Most of my cruise time was spent at Bob's. You would sit in line for an hour just to cruise through and then turn right ang go aroung the block through a residential neighborhood, and get back in line. Probably the most notable car in the area was Tom McMullen's blown roadster and he would show up once in a while. There were always the 426 Mopars, 409 Chevy's, 406/427 Fords overheating in line. You had to have a good battery because you couldn't leave the car running or it would overheat. Another memory was walking home from high school before I got my license and seeing Rich Siroonian in his '59 Impala 348 (and later '61 Corvette FI) go through the gears toward Hacienda Blvd after picking up his girlfriend at La Habra High. The '61 Vette eventually became the John Mazmanian (Rich's uncle) blown gasser.

Times were good back then
I emember Whirleys but i was only about 11 years old at the time. i do remember seeing the mcmullen roadster though. didn't rich siroonian have a roadster by the name of the Animal?