Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Potential in this truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fighter-of-Wars, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

Well, I have found 3 more ford Jailbar trucks within 20 miles of my house for sale which is pretty amazing I thought, but 1 was way overpriced, another not in too good of shape, and then there was this one. Its not exactly what I want but I was thinking about making it into some kind of car hauler or trailer puller. I think I'm going to cut the wheel base down, but I also think it would be cool to haul cars on the back and not on a trailer, but then it wouldn't be as easy to drive around town and stuff. I guess its a toss up. Here are the details. Its a 1943 Ford Truck, its one of the heavier ones. It was an old army truck brought back. Has a slide out windshield, differen't style gauges, and a few things here and there are are different. It has the originaly flathead 6 that is said to run, but I already got a Ford 352 and a heavy 5sp trans ready to drop in. Guy said he has a title for it and I think its not a bad buy for $900. The only rust through on the cab that I could see is the cab corners and under the doors.

I guess, I don't really know what way to go with this truck. Should I shorten it up, and maybe make some kinda stepside bed for it, or keep it long to haul stuff with. I like the idea of using it to haul with, because living on a farm and such it would come in real handy, but would look kind of awkward driving around town.

I know how you guys love pics. so here are some.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

race car hauler,,looks old military

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I'd shorten it up and make it into a heavy duty pickup. Cut frame, drop a Dana70 in for the rear for better gears, lighten up the rear springs and find a 8-9ft factory bed for it or fab one up to look factory - keep it mostly stock and vintage looking - KEEP THE WHEELS!, but convert to singles in the rear. Not sure what that handle is all about by the headlight, but I'd keep that too. Well, that is what I would do personally.

4. pricejap

pricejap

Put the cab and front clip on a newer suspension.

5. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I'd see if I could find any squadron markings on it and cosmetically restore it back to it's former WWII glory... then drop in the drive train of your choice.

I'd leave it a hauler...

6. Heck yers, tons of potential.

7. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

i would love to have just the cab and doors. Build your own bed or modify something to work and build your own frame. Tons of potential.

8. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

Fricken hauler...that thing is tits! caddie flattie would be nifty

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Sorry, unless he wants to destroy its soul, I suggest NOT replacing the chassis. Old trucks and cars should still fundamentally drive and feel like old cars and trucks - it is not just a visual thing.

10. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i agree.

11. rottenrod

rottenrod

x2 stude trucks

12. squirrel

squirrel

neat truck, I have no clue what you should do with it though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I should have some more pics this weekend. One of the things I was really thinking of before was like others of said, a race car hauler. I always thought it would be really neat to see one of these older trucks hauling a vintage race car to the track, like something out of the 40s or 50s. But, thats just me.

14. mj40's

mj40's

The cab is the same as used on 1/2 ton pickups which includes the 40/41 Ford pickups. Yes it has value.

15. trad27

trad27

Well said

16. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

This quote should be hot rod gospel; no truer words have been written

17. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

A 1943??? BUY IT!!! Super rare war-era vehicle,and it was more than likely a military vehicle because civilian vehicle production seized in 1942.

18. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I`m sorry,but I beg to differ...I took an exit ramp doing 50-mph in my F100 tonight and it stuck like glue.

19. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

Yeah, we are takin the trailer to get it saturday, the guy said that the brakes were dragged a little on the left side, and with unkown condition of turn signals, I don't wanna take it interstate speeds back home, but if it runs and drives, its going up and down the country rode by my house.

20. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

You don't need a modern chassis swap to accomplish that. ;)

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd find a later model one ton or ton and a half Ford that could donate the front suspension and dualie rear axle and update the truck so you can wheel it down the highway in relative ease. Either shorten the bed to eight or ten foot and put a correct or close to correct flatbed on it. Being as it's a pretty cool old Military veteran I think I'd go back od green with the sheet metal. But, I wouldn't go overboard on that. The truck most likely was used on base here in the states through the war and a few years afterwards so it might be pretty low key as military trucks go.

If you aren't going to run or use the flathead six please pass it on to someone who can use and enjoy it. I have two and there are lots of guys who like them.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I regularly take my pretty much all stock '53 3/4 ton (with overload springs even) out on the highway at 55-60 all the time and take plenty of off ramps at around that speed along with everyone else, never had a problem. With those heavy springs, yep, sticks like glue too. Don't get much rolling and bouncing with this truck.

Now with that said, I also drive it with respect and within the characteristics and limitations of the truck. I don't go around driving like and ass and beyond what it is capable of; racing, tailgating and cutting off people, etc. I drive it slow and respectfully as it was designed. In fact, that is one of the great side benefits of the truck, driving slow and respectfully. I find that driving and enjoying my trucks like they were really meant to, actually is very enjoyable and relaxing. I get in my newer car and drive normal, just not the same - more comfortable, faster, easier and debatably a lot safer, but still just not the same and not as relaxing and enjoyable.

If I put a modern drivetrain in my truck so I could drive it like a modern truck, I am certain it would lose most all of the charm and character it has, for me anyway. Kind of like street rod vs. traditional hot rod. If you know the difference, then you probably agree; if not, probably not.

I am not saying anyone shouldn't do what they want with their project, quite the opposite. They should do exactly what they want. I am just saying for me, an old car/truck is more than just a body - beauty (to me) is more than skin deep.

I have seen very few old trucks with updated chassis and wheels really look right. It is very difficult to keep the old character and look when you have wider wheel track and alum. semi-truck wheels, not to even mention sparkly paint jobs and giant chrome stacks all the while sitting about 2" off the pavement.

No reason not to treat an old truck like one would and old hot rod. Who around here is going to back up dropping a duece on an 80's chassis these days just because it can perform 'better'? Same principal.

23. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

I know exactly what you are saying, and I would of stuck with the originaly drivetrain if I didn't already have an engine and transmission built that will suit its purpose.

24. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

The military vehicles that I have been around were 24 volt.

I know this is going to ruffle a few feathers but I would consider putting in a Cummins diesel from a 80's-90's Dodge truck, 5 speed trans and a Dana 70. This will get you decent fuel mileage, lots of power for towing or hauling.

25. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I think changing the motor and trans. is ok and can help improve a truck for sure, yet still keeping its vintage character; rearend and some brake upgrades too. As long as it is done well and in character with an older truck. But dropping in a tunnel rammed 440 with with a NOS kit and Camaro clip, is not. Put in a better vintage motor/trans. and still keep it pretty much vintage feeling with stock chassis with some minor upgrades is definitely still good, even suggested. I am not even into restored trucks so much, more about respectfully hot rodded trucks that retain as much of the true vintage character as possible. The trick is how to do just enough without doing too much. It is a fine line that is not necessarily easy to clearly figure out. Electric windows? No thanks, I'll just reach over and crank them up. Part of the charm. 85hp motor in a 1-ton truck, well, not quite as charming.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  26. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

Well, I snagged it this weekend from the Junkyard it was sitting at. Guy has a new title and the original title. From what I understand and what the plates on the dash say, it was delivered September 23 1943 to a base in Evansville Indiana and then sold to a guy in Farmersburg in 1949 and then the lady that sold it to the junkyard had it and just drove it around in her yard. It has 42131 Miles on it and the old straight 6 still starts and runs, I haven't gotten the chance to monkey with it yet. The guy said it had 40 psi oil pressure when we got it running at the yard to get it in position to go up on the trailer it is a 1 1/2 ton

My plans for it are to keep it the same frame at the same length, or maybe just a hair shorter. Drive it the way it is for awhile, then swap my Ford 352 I built and 5speed out of a school bus in it and get different gears in the rear if I can, and if not I will get a different rear for highway driving/towing/hauling.

Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Looks like it has lots! Of potential that is. ;)

28. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

Well, this afternoon I decided to mess with it. Called a buddy over, got it pull started. It started right after I let off the clutch. And we drove it around. All the gauges worked, the dash lights tried to work, the cab marker lights tried to work. And the old flathead 6 purred like a kitten. It is definatly a very neat experience to drive a vehicle that is 65 years old and in original condition. One question, if I decide to drive this around any should I buy the lead additive to put in the fuel to keep the valves from burning out or no?

29. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Well said!:cool:

30. historynw

historynw

I wonder what its life was like in the SERVICE?