Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Sequel to "CARS"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thunder Road, Oct 5, 2009.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

One of my favorites of all time. The details are suburb!
    Having Richard Petty's voice for his car was not only cool, but even more so 'cause his wife played in it as well! I thought that was really something!

Every time I see that movie, I catch another small nuance or detail overlooked the first 38 times!

2. henryj429

henryj429

Rumour has it that Ramone has been training with Gene Winfield.

3. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

I hope so, my kids have made me watch Cars more times than I saw Star Wars as a kid.

4. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Who was?

Thats cool..

5. Shaggin Wagon

Shaggin Wagon
    from Dallas, TX

You do have to watch many time to take in and appreciate the details that they have put into that movie.

6. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We're not buying any from the cartoon series or the books, just the ones in the first movie. Nothing else is 'canon' as far as I'm concerned. And I'm not buying duplicates just to get moving eyes. :rolleyes:

Lizzy can actually still be found in the stores on rare occasion. Not that common but you can definitely pick her up for less than $34.

7. Slonaker

Slonaker

One of my all time favorite movies...and I don't have any kids! :)

Slonaker

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

100%Matt: Man, THAT is cool to hear !!! The Hudson styling from '48 on can't be mistaken for anything else. And I've heard a LOT of guys say they prefer it to the Mercs of the era (and there's isn't much NEED to channel or chop them any further, either!).

JohnnyZoom: I like your Newman/Taylor analogy. Right on! Some people will never get it. Shit. LIKE a bunch of Disney movies, "Cars" was crafted to be entertaining for both CHILDREN and the ADULTS who take young children to movies! Not everybody liked "Lion King," either, but give those of us who DID a break, right?

It seems obvious to me that LOTS of people posting on this GREAT thread care about their kids, grandkids AND have a little bit of kid left in them. God pity the Madison Avenue rat-race crowd, only living life to make a buck. People should open the eyes and their hearts and realize that life is to be LIVED. If you don't enjoy life's little things, like spending time with your kids and grandkids, the time will come when it's to late to recapture the chance.

If Disney is gonna do another "Cars" movies, I say great. Our family will look forward to that just as we've waited for every Harry Potter (now in its -- what? -- 21st sequel? LOL).

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

PoleCat: When the movie came out & I became aware Newman was voicing the Hudson, I immediately asked my daughter (avid McDonald's fan) to get me a "Doc." She tried VERY hard, without success. This tells me somebody, somewhere was diverting at least some of that model. No one will convince me there wasn't something up.

I finally resorted to grafting a body onto a different chassis, just to have ONE Doc Hudson!

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Polecat: When the movie was just ocming out & I learned Newman was voicing "Doc" Hudson, I asked my daughter (avid McDonald's fan) to get me just ONE Doc car. She tried very, very hard, without success. This tells me that somebody, osmewhere was diverting at least some of that particular model. I can imagine the motive, and no one will convince me otherwise.
    I final graft a "Doc" body onto another different chassis, just to have ONE Hudson!

11. olskool37

olskool37

Awesome! Ive been waiting to hear of a sequel... my main draw into the flick was its tie in to the whole abandoned town/route. much like the Route 66 fate. Whenever I have the choice to go Bypass, or Business.. I choose business, cuz ya never know what little shop is hiding along those routes. Shops that really need our business in these tough times. You never know, grabbing something as simple as a cup 'o joe, from a little Mom n Pop, may be the one thing that keeps them feeling needed each morning they drag themselves out of bed.... Screw Pizza Hut! eat at Sal's Little Italy, the hell with Exxon! stop off at Ma's Gas n Go... well, you get the idear. Cars 2... looking foward to it!

12. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

It's just "Doc Hollywood" with a twist... ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Hollywood

...but I love it anyway. Of all my son's movies, I'd gladly sit through Cars with him again and again (not so much some of his others...)

13. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i still get goose bumps when doc hudson goes for a spin round the dirt track. If you listen, its the true sounds of a flathead 6 going balls out!!!!

I love that movie, and im 18!

14. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Ol'Skool37 wrote: "... my main draw into the flick was its tie in to the whole abandoned town/route. much like the Route 66 fate. Whenever I have the choice to go Bypass, or Business.. I choose business, cuz ya never know what little shop is hiding along those routes. Shops that really need our business in these tough times. You never know, grabbing something as simple as a cup 'o joe, from a little Mom n Pop, may be the one thing that keeps them feeling needed each morning they drag themselves out of bed.... Screw Pizza Hut! eat at Sal's Little Italy, the hell with Exxon! stop off at Ma's Gas n Go... well, you get the idear. Cars 2... looking foward to it!

JIMI: Man, THAT is the spirit! When ya just breeze up or down the Interstate, you never KNOW what antique shop (maybe with cars out back?!?) you might be missing! There a TERM for purposely getting off the major routes & traveling the lesser routes & roads. Some people consider it a HOBBY, actually, and they call it "shunpiking." It's in the dictionary. I do it, so I guess I'm a SHUNPIKER" !!!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

16. Jay Ward (aka Jive-Bomber) ... in addition to writing the Tues & Thurs The Jalopy Journal logo.JPG Blog, Jay
    also works @ PIXAR logo.jpg ...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

So, THERE was the expertise, the familiarity with cars & car history that went into that movie. I thought it was so astute, Disney scriptwriters just couldn't have had the BACKGROUND to come up with that story line! THANKS, Hemi32!

18. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Here is a pic of my son and I with Mater and Lighting McQueen.

Attached Files:

19. This summer at a show a 2 or 3 year old toddler barley able to walk n talk came teetering up to the front of my 59 chevy from across the field, uttering "Ramone!!! Ramone!!!
    His parents and grandparents grabbed him not knowing what to make of his behavior, so I told them that the kid was right. Ramone was a 59 chevy just like mine...

How cool was that!?!?!?!?!?!

I asked the kid if he wanted to sit in "Ramone"
    He was like Nooooooooooooooooo..........
    I wonder why.

We have a cartoon to thank for the future generation of cool car loving kids..

Attached Files:

20. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

Forgot who saif Lizzie could be found in stores- I live in Atlanta and have access to all sorts of stores and I ALWAYS check for Lizzie. Never to be found though.

So to those of you that were involved- tell them to put Lizzie back in the toy lineup because she is not even showing up as available.

21. I dont know the toys to well, but I remember lizzie being paired up with red the fire engine because lizzie was to small to sell by itself.

22. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

I saw those, but there are the regular size ones and she came out in series 1 but I guess it did not sell well so the moneymongers pulled it. I was not into hot rods at the time otherwise I would have been all over it.

23. doctorZ

doctorZ

i hope they aren't damn fixies!!!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  24. James66g

James66g

I think it was at the beginning of Bolt but did anyone see the Cars version of fast and furious with Tow mater al imported up and drifting!? I laughed so hard all the way through that actually liked the short better than the movie! As for Cars two i will for sure be checking that one out!

25. SO cool! Neat story!

I did a parade with the Bluesmobile a couple of years ago and had some parents of an autistic kid come up to me afterwards and ask if they could take a photo in front of the car because their kid was a HUGE Blues Brothers fan. I said "Let me do one better..." and gave him some of the Oriental Traders cheap sunglasses that look like Ray Bans, loaned him my black fedora, and helped him get behind the wheel of the car for some photos. When I turned around to say something to the parents, they had tears in their eyes and they thanked me a million times. Hit me like a brick wall! :) The kid was beaming brighter than the sun!

Makes it all worthwhile!

26. Special Ed

Special Ed

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by alfredfromchicago [​IMG]
    This summer at a show a 2 or 3 year old toddler barley able to walk n talk came teetering up to the front of my 59 chevy from across the field, uttering "Ramone!!! Ramone!!!
    His parents and grandparents grabbed him not knowing what to make of his behavior, so I told them that the kid was right. Ramone was a 59 chevy just like mine...

How cool was that!?!?!?!?!?!

I asked the kid if he wanted to sit in "Ramone"
    He was like Nooooooooooooooooo..........
    I wonder why.

We have a cartoon to thank for the future generation of cool car loving kids..

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

"SO cool! Neat story!

I did a parade with the Bluesmobile a couple of years ago and had some parents of an autistic kid come up to me afterwards and ask if they could take a photo in front of the car because their kid was a HUGE Blues Brothers fan. I said "Let me do one better..." and gave him some of the Oriental Traders cheap sunglasses that look like Ray Bans, loaned him my black fedora, and helped him get behind the wheel of the car for some photos. When I turned around to say something to the parents, they had tears in their eyes and they thanked me a million times. Hit me like a brick wall! :) The kid was beaming brighter than the sun!

Makes it all worthwhile!"

Both of you "Get It". Wonderful stories! Thanks for starting my week off with a big grin on my face, and thanks for sharing... :D
    <!-- / message -->

27. RichG

RichG

Cool stories. Yellowrr, as a parent of an autistic child, I can tell you that what you did was beyond anything you could comprehend. We (autistic parents) deal with so much bullshit from people everyday when we take our kids out into the world. From snobs who think that our kids are brats, to people who act as if they're diseased, I go through my day wanting to smash someone in the face at least once a day when I take my boy out. To have you reach out and offer that to their son was something we all dream about, having our kids accepted as normal. You sir, are a ruler in my book, and if you ever find yourself on the west coast I'll buy you dinner. :D

---------------

As for the Lizzie being rare: dang, I guess I better find the two or three my son has around here playing with them:D The really rare one is Sarge, I don't think they reissued it after the whole lead paint scare. If they did I could really use one for my boy.

...Oh yeah, definitely not just a kids movie. I spent some of my childhood in Gallup New Mexico, and the artists hit so many notes, it's as if they collected my memories and put them all down in painting. Such a cool movie on so many levels:D

28. what you dont like to ride you bike without brakes and one gear??? come on all the cool hipster kids are doing it...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: i have to admit i do like the look of them and the single gear(for the work out), but if i was to ever own one, it would need those little things called brakes.:cool:

29. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, Lizzie was only ever available as a single.

The 2-car set you are thinking of was Red (the fire-engine) and the small statue of Stanley (the Stanley Steamer that was Lizzie's husband and town founder).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  30. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

ive got Lizzie, only one i saw at the time so i got it

ive got lighting, mater and doc hudson aswell

im looking forward to cars 2