Register now to get rid of these ads!

any blown y blocks ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wyoming, Sep 13, 2007.

1. wyoming

wyoming
    from My house

any one out there running a blown y block or ran one in the past ?

2. photofink

photofink

I have a Y-block with a blown head gasket.

3. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

I blew up a bunch of them when I was a kid.

4. flatoz

flatoz

theres a roadster here in Australia with a blown (3/71) Y block, been on the streets for years, not sure on the boost or anything.

5. flatoz

flatoz

if you check out brootals webpage there will be a photo of it

6. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

Depends on what kind of supercharger your talking about. There were the factory t-bird centrifugal (paxton) supercharged y-blocks, not plentiful by any means, but they are still out there. I've seen a few...and i mean FEW roots style supercharged y-blocks, usually 6-71 units. If you were really interested in supercharging one, I would contact John Mummert out in Cali...

7. nexxussian

nexxussian

I remember reading somewhere, on the web (not here) about a guy that had a set of adapter plates machined up to fit a SBC 471 blower manifold to a Y block. I was searching for multi carb manifolds for Y blocks. It probably wasn't the prettiest flow path, but it was a street deal. Under boost I would expect it to be less critical in anything but a competition environment.

Hope that helps.

8. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

292 with Cragar drive and manifold.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I had a 1957 f-series 312 with a factory supercharger back in '62 It would run! 4 speed, 4.57's in a Fairlane 300 it carried an under rated 300 horse factory rating.
    I've always considered blown as a roots style or the back of a blonds head in my lap (sorry for the OT)

10. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

oh my, i have to go change my underwear

11. Heres mine projectmotor 239 and 4/71. Someday im gonna start to rebuilt it, but first i had to do mine ´54 Ford. [​IMG]

12. wyoming

wyoming
    from My house

so i take it that y block blower manifolds are few and far between

13. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

cool 239 i gonna soon start my y-block blower projekt a 292 bored 0.60 with a 239 crank it gonna be a 280 cui :) with old iskycam and mallory ignition ,4-71 ánd 2x4

14. There were only two blower intakes ever made by the aftermarket (excluding the Latham ones & the BT intake for the Paxton centrifugals)...Cragar made a 3-71 & a 4-71 intake. I have never seen a 3-71 version for sale (or even NOT for sale), & the 4-71s go for stupid money when they do show up every great once in a while.

It would be fairly easy to fab up a top plate for a conventional four barrel intake to mount a 4-71, then get the appropriate drive parts.

So far as the SBC intake goes, look here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200246

15. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

16. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I had a friend whos gone now who raced 57 Fords on the beach at Daytona. He told me that the factory cars were the only ones who ran blower cars because they had special German made bearings in them. The factory stock bearings would sieze up in the long races so everyone ran the dual quad setup. They built their car in Miami and drove to Daytona to break it in just the way they raced it with open exhausts

17. wyoming

wyoming
    from My house

so youre saying make a plate that just mounts to the 4 bolts on the stock intake ?

18. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Yes you can make a plate off a 4 barrel intake or any y block manifold it just depends how far you want to go on fab work, when making your plate and aligning from front to back make sure you have your pulley and drive setup complete so you can line everything up properly, the only other thing to keep in mind is some type of pop out valve on the intake so if the blower pops back you don't split something apart, BDS makes different shape pop outs which you may be able to incorprate into a four barrel manifold, try and find one that may have a flat surface somewhere that you can drill into the plenium.

19. T-BIRDMAN

T-BIRDMAN

This is my first posting. I am running a 292 with a competition Latham in a two-seater T'Bird. Running all the original Latham components (Mallory, Carter YH, linkage, etc. Right, the Latham did have a (very) special intake for use in T'Birds; they were hand made from flat stock to avoid cutting the hood. The first adaptations of the axial flow to T'Birds required a rather ugly hood scoop extension that certainly cost them several sales.

Regarding the use of German bearings in blowers at Daytona, these were probably for the VS57 (variable speed) versions. The factory blowers were VR57 (variable ratio) and a whole lot more reliable.

devilscustom: for a good 292, use the 3.1 shaft with a 3.875 bore. A good friend did this and was an AHRA

20. SCHWINNNNNNGGG!!!

21. Hey SIXCARB. That's what I like about hot rods. It's not copy cat and it is bad ass. You have the engine compartment looking perfect. That thing is the shizzzzzz and those headersrule>>>>.

22. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

That thing must sound absolutely incredible.