Register now to get rid of these ads!

11 Days & still waiting for my car..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldfart, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 11 Days ago a "transporter" picked up my sedan delivery outside of Galveston TX.for the 985 mile trip to me...He said that he had a lot of pickups in Florida and should be here on Tuesday(The 2nd).
    I called him on the 3rd and he said that he was just leaving Houston to go to New Orleans but he would get to my house ASAP.Then he tells me that he has to go down the west coast of Florida 1st and has stops in Tampa and Miami.
    Hes given me one excuse after another.Claims that he got to Miami on Friday the 5th and the company that he was delivering to had a broken forklift and couldn't unload their motorcycles.I guess no MEN work there..:rolleyes:.I called him yesterday and he said that a hub burned up on his trailer so he was "broke down" outside of Miami..
    I'm beginning to doubt that hes in Florida at all.
    I bought a Buick Woodie in Minnesota a few years ago and that got here faster than this one from Texas.
    Thanks for letting me share this w/you.I'm a little "hot" so I don't dare to call him again.I'll just wait..

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Breathe.......

3. Prime example of why to use the Hambers that do this for a living.

Having used both BenD and Racinman,they do what they say and when they say it.

This isn't the first time we have heard these horror stories! HRP

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

call him up and tell him to geo tag the picture of where he is at right now and e-mail it to you, immeditely..if he balks..call bullshit.
    at least he will get the point of , you aint buying it no more

if he has an old POS phone that doesnt have that feature..it can still be done..taking a picture of something time and date related to his location is all it takes

5. kingpins

kingpins

took me a while to get my 26 coupe said it would take 2 days and took 2 weeks. i understand that in order for them to make a profit they have to get as many cars as they can in one run...but some times its bullshit. i agree with HRP and VON FINK

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Yes - when I had a Camaro shipped, the carrier wasn't specialty. He had a bunch of late model BMW's, etc. Problem was, he jacked my Camaro up at a 45 degree angle above a new BMW and trans fluid escaped from the speedometer cable housing. Oops, I would have never known that leaked because I never parked my car on a 45 degree slope. My point is - if it was a classic specialty carrier, they would have transported my older car properly and not have puked trans fluid all over another car. Guess I know what my Camaro thought of BMW's though. lol:D

7. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Probably a transport broker deal. The contract is put up for grabs to anyone that can get to it.

Happened to me. Bought my old car back and used Five Star transport on a recommendation from a buddy and the next seven days were hell. Picked up in a pouring rain two days late and broke down in New Jersey, PA, and Toledo. I wore the phone out and they didn`t care.

The following Sunday I got a call my Camaro was sitting in the parking lot of the dealership I work at with the keys in it. The guy dropped it and left.
    Was supposed to be covered transport and the car was filthy and the headers were crushed. Doors chipped where he had banged both of them getting in & out.

Never again. I`ll go get it myself or hire someone I know to make the run.

8. My father inlaw tried the car hauling gig for a while. He has been a trucker for many years hauling everything you can think of. He said car hauling is for the birds. "People expect you do do it for less than what it costs in fuel and if it's their baby they get all antsy and start telling me how to do my job. Forget that. I'm going back to hauling cattle feed!"

9. Acehole

Acehole
    from Indiana

Wow sorry to hear

Guess I got lucky only took 3 days to get my austin from kansas to indiana

used place called auto shipping network

good luck hope it arrives soon

10. brad chevy

brad chevy

What shipper did you use?

11. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

I use Intercity Lines and they have never let me down, not once. You get what you pay for. I too had to learn the hard way years ago and then had to have a review class but only one.

12. I guess I got lucky. I hired a retired cop who runs a casual side business hauling classics and antiques. He does it for the fun and interest more than the money. Met him at his car club's place, rode down with him, loaded up my truck and headed back. I got to be there for the journey, it was on my schedule, and he even paid for lunch. 'On the Move' out of Mississauga. I'd use him again in a heartbeat.

That being said, I really hope you get your car soon! As has been said, just try to stay calm and keep breathing. I'm sure the horrible experience stories don't help while you wait... It'll get there soon!

13. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

took a wrong turn and ended up in el salvador ? good luck

14. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

In order to get best pricing this is somewhat normal for someone hauling and picking up new orders on the fly.

Hope all works out well. Make sure and post your final results. Good luck!

15. 51GMC

51GMC
    from Michigan

Recently had that issue too... be careful. Some of these companies arent really shippers,,they just broker the deal.. I WONT get caught like that again....

16. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

...on the other hand, maybe he's just having a really crappy week.

17. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Went through a shipping broker to ship a car from WA to AL and two Russian dudes showed up in a tow truck (not even a roll-back). Called the broker and got my deposit back.

18. I just quoted a one man door to door haul through a guy we know, 800 odd miles, he wants $1200. I use him just about exclusively at this point if we have something to ship.

19. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

A few years ago I bought a pickup in Texas and it was shipped to me in Nevada by FedEx. Took about two weeks. he went all over California, Oregon, and Washington before he finally wound his way down to me.

These guys have to constantly adjust their schedule to maximize the number of cars being transported in the most efficient way possible. With fuel costs what they are, this is even more important now than ever before.

I know nothing about the guy hauling your car... He might be a crook or he might be the best transporter ever..... But one thing is certain.... On the go scheduling is the nature of the business.

20. I booked this guy through Uship.His bid was not the lowest,but he was not w/a broker.I didnt want to go w/a broker because I've been screwed by a couple before.
    I accepted his bid.Called him & he seemed like a real nice guy..
    On the contract it states "Service provider will pick up vehicle w/in one day of booking. Second line says"Service provider will deliver w/in 2 days of pickup".
    I called him yesterday @ 2PM and he said that he was on the way to my house.At 8PM he still had not shown so I called him again.He was on the way to Tampa..I live on the opposite side of the state.So I got Pissed and called him every kind of Sumbitch and told him that I want my F'in car..and hung up.
    I called him this morning to apologize for my outburst and he finally told me the truth.My car is on a 2nd trailer at his house in Texas.His large trailer can only handle a maximum 7500 pounds so he left the car in Texas and delivered his other stuff to Florida.
    So Uship has my deposit and my car is on private property on his trailer so I may get my car next week,next month or ???
    I am well aware that sometimes shippers have mechanical and scheduling problems but one truthful phone call 12 days ago certainly would have helped.

21. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Wow, that's just not right. Sorry to hear this.

22. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

well crap... that sucks

23. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I had a 1967 Impala SS transported from FL to CA a while back. I used http://www.exoticcartransport.com/ . They we're the lowest price, but close to it. They treated me and my car like it was a 200k Italian sports car.

24. You get what you pay for, I am a single car transporter & when I pick up a vehicle I deliver it right away with no delays but I also charge way more than Intercity does.

25. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

I agree with your father in law. I do some local car hauling and posted up on the HAMB for a buck per loaded mile max.and cheaper if I could.I didn't post the price but when I gave quotes guys would always say I was way too high on my rates. I am one guy with one truck and a new open trailer and treat the cars like they were mine, move cars that were stuck or wouldn't roll and even help you get it where you want it at your place. I couldn't pay for fuel for what guys wanted to pay. Go figure someone pays $20 K for a car and then wants it delivered fast and for next to nothing. I'll stick to my local stuff:rolleyes:

26. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

When the car gets there I would be getting some of my money back or that driver would be pickin' his teeth up off the ground .....

27. Deuces

Deuces

An automatic in a Camaro??? Dude, you're killin' me!... :eek: ;)

28. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get back every penny of your money. Use small claims court if you have to. Then use a HAMBer.

29. krooser

krooser

I was in the exotic/specialty car transport biz for a few years.... after getting screwed by millionaires who never seemed to have enough cash on hand to pay the COD charges I quit.

Funny how the guy who bought a GTO project or a '63 Rambler always had the cash in hand when I drove up to his double wide but the guy on Rodeo Drive who was having his Ferrari delivered was broke...

30. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

For those of us who are honest and don't lie, its hard to understand people who lie at the drop of a hat. With all the stories about stolen vehicles I'd be concerned about having your car sitting on a trailer. It will probably all work out. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.