Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thanks elpolacko Bilstein shocks rule!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BCR, Jul 19, 2011.

1. BCR

BCR

After the trip to Loveland I decided I needed to do something about the rough ride on the model a. It rode just slightly better than a lumber wagon but not much. The suspension all looked good so I decided to try new shocks first. I found out that Steve had some input on the hot rod bilstien shocks. I met him last year at the HAMB drags and after checking out a few of his posts here I knew he was the right guy to talk to about the problem.

I took off the cheap chrome shorty shocks and put on bilsteins that I bought from Steve.

WOW! What a difference. I took the roadster on a little ride this morning on a very rough road. The ride is amazing.

They do cost more than your average shock, but the return on this investment is a safer more comfortable ride. Night and day difference!

This is not a paid commercial. Just happy with a product that I bought from a fellow HAMBer and wanted to thank him.

2. What do they cost and what do they look like? Are they a covered shock or really modern looking?

3. slammed

slammed

Rebuildable too!

4. Yup, my Tudor is getting a set front and rear. Can't wait.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Tell you what, the pair Steve basically forced me to buy for the front of the Plymouth was one of the best investments I have made to my car's handling... Period! I have had almost every medium priced "quality" shock on the market inside those MustangII springs at one time or another, but none nearly as nice! I took the time to weigh my car totally and at both ends, and sent Steve the figures, a week later, there they were... Valved to my car! Too cool!!!

6. You can get them covered. That is what is on the front of my duece and the ride is night and day difference from what is out there. I will always run them on my cars from here on out. They have been on the front of my car now for about 2 years and they are perfect. Elpalcko helped me get mine as well.

7. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

My Model A rides rough too---

8. BCR

BCR

Ha Ha.

9. BCR

BCR

Just to be clear, I have coilovers on the rear so all I changed was the front two shocks. I went with the uncovered ones.

Night and Day!!

I run a shop and we deal with a lot of company's. Steve is great to deal with.

10. Muttley

Muttley

11. Gimpapotamus

Gimpapotamus

Good info to know! Thanks for sharing. I have a set waiting to go on the front of my '29 coupe. Glad I lucked into buying these first and not some cheapies.

12. Thanks for the plug!

I have called Bilsteins my little magic bullets for some time now. It's not often you can bolt on something as simple as a shock and get such rewards.

13. Gotem all the way around on the RPU and it rides fantastic/

14. BCR

BCR

Ha Ha Ha. Knew I was sounding like a commercial.

15. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Swapped to Bilsteins on the coupe a couple years ago after DA34guy reccomend them to me and they are like night and day compared to them old P&J's hot rod shocks. Yes they cost more but what a difference in ride.

16. bgaro

bgaro

bilstein makes pete and jakes shocks. made in mexico and assembled in the U.S.A.

17. These are a totally different shock however, go read the link I posted above.

18. I think I need some of these for the truck.

19. Weasel

Weasel

I will not use anything else. Bilsteins will transform your ride and are worth every extra penny. I use them on everything from a 4000 lb cruiser to a sub 2000lb roadster....

20. Why would you make this statement?

Do you have any proof of this? If someone told you this and are just repeating the hearsay, you look foolish. Now if you said that their shocks were made by Monroe or Gabriel, then you would be closer to the truth. If memory serves thy are made by Gabriel and are in my best educated assessment, substandard as far as shocks go anymore.

21. I have 200k + on my daily with factory Billies.
    It still gets around the track quite nicely.
    I heard Billies last forever and I now believe it.
    I install them fairly regularly in the shop.

Once I get the lowering worked out on the Edsel, it will be running Bilsteins.

22. BCR

BCR

Can't help myself!

[​IMG]

23. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

are they only available in chrome?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  24. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

Those germans......what can you say?

25. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

One more time...

26. Sorry, been restricted to my phone due to a power lines getting knocked down in the storm. I think I can special order them in black but they won't have the dust covers.

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Any word on price? I'd like to try them on my '35.

28. Do you have a chart you can post with dimensions? Or a link to one, maybe?

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah that would be super helpful.