Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The "Keep on Truckin' " '34 Chevy Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Then, it was on to the header above the windshield. I recessed the attachment point to accept the bracket that bolts everything together. I sleeved the holes to prevent crush and clamped the windshield on for a fit.

Attached Files:

2. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Hey Cactus, how much wood and where exactly are you keeping in your cab?

3. The pieces above the doors ( part of the roof) and the pieces on the B pillars (which are really just for looks) will be the only wood left. I might use some in the doors around the window openings. I am still undecided at this point.

Oh, the floorboard and toeboard will also be wood.

4. These pictures are for clarification from my last vague post. The first one shows the windshield header/A pillar/ roof intersection bracket jointificationer:).

The second is what little wood will remain in the cab.

I also started working on the subrails/floor section.

Attached Files:

5. Wish I could TIG. What the fuck, I wish I could MIG! great work.

6. Ha! I've been following the T bag project, and I'm lovin' it.

That turtledeck is the only thing worth a shit on my roadster!:D

Oh and thanks for the Kudos, too.

7. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

8. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Man Cactus....nice work.
    You're making some great progress. I can relate to those early chevy's and all the woodwork involved. Keep going it's looking awesome and thanks for the updates.

9. Thanks, guys. Here are a couple more floor/subrail construction shots. Again, all of this will be bolted in as the original wooden members were.

Attached Files:

10. Cactus1

Sorry for the slow response, I finally took a close look at your build. What can I say? You're the Man, building with your own hands. I can't say the same — and for that reason — my hat's off to you.

A Chevy in an OLD Chevy....cool. Even though I'm a Mopar fan, my first hot rod was powered by a '55 265, or whichever year did come equipped with an oil filter boss from the factory. It powered a '50 Ford (oops) business coupe, it was a wonderful car.

Keep up the outstanding work and stay warm.

Trakrodstr
    aka charlie

11. Thanks Charlie. That means a lot. Oh, and leave your hat on, it's too damn cold!:D

12. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

the truck looks great i like the proportions

13. More floor...

Attached Files:

14. Cactus1 - Really nice fabrication and welding work!!
    The way you rebuild those sub-rails is GREAT, I now have hope to resurrect my T Roadster !! Thanks!

Its this type of thread that gives me great ideas and encouragement!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

15. Wow! Thanks so much. I was just drooling over your coupe project this weekend. I'm not worthy...

16. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Man I DIG that floor! Is that plywood? You gonna put a natural finish on it?
    I was planning on putting a steel floor in mine, I'll have to think about that.

17. Yeah, plywood. It is just some stuff I had around. I will probably use some marine grade stuff for the final pieces. I can't decide what finish to use. I have a feeling that they were originally stained black but I'm not sure. If anyone is reading this and would care to shed some light on the subject, feel free.

The rest of the floor will be steel, with some beads ( if I can pull it off.)

thanks for the bump Biscuit !

18. I made some more brackets and some body mounts. I think she's all one solid piece now.

Attached Files:

19. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Nice! What sort of "padding" is that in the third pic?

20. I used some plywood as blocking. I will probably use some sort of rubber or urethane for the finished product.

21. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

This is great!!!!, great workmanship!!

22. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I need to pay closer attention! This is looking great. Thanks for making me throw rocks at my shit...:cool:

23. Wow guys! Thanks for the encouragement!

24. peter johnson

peter johnson

Hi mate , you doing really nice work there,very neat,probably toooo neat!haha Pete

25. rustyhood

rustyhood

Man this kind of work is inspiring in all aspects of a build! you are the man! and if you weld like a drunkin sailor...I would like to see what they are sober! I like your work methods! That little truck is going to be BAD AZZ!

26. Thanks Pete and Rustyhood! For what its worth, I only post the decent looking welds.:D

27. So, most of the fun with building this truck has come from the parts hunt. Last winter, I found an ad on Craigslist parting out the chassis of a 1-1/2 ton '35 Chevy truck. I responded to the add and came home with a set of seat springs, and seat riser, along with a few other things that I really didn't "need" but couldn't pass up.

So, here it is mocked up. I repaired a few springs and re-did someone's previous repairs to the frame, and added some ties. They still need a little cleanup and maybe a quick media blast before painting, but I think it will work. I threw the moving blanket on and gave it a sit and it actually is quite comfortable and positioned well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  28. So, here's what I am doing on the floor sections. They will be in three separate pieces. I think I will put some access doors in the sides of the seat riser. It might be a good place to store a tool roll. I was thinking maybe a flat glove compartment type door would be nice.

Attached Files:

29. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Man, that's cool! How'd ya make that depression in that floor panel?